Mobile ICE installer - south east

nails

Advanced Member
Does anyone know one?

I don't really trust Halfords. There is a road radio local to me but they are not that great. I have used them with previous cars and they are very reluctant to do anything other than drop replacement speakers of the same size in.

My plan is to buy some adapters to fit 6.5 inch component speakers in the front doors, a small bit of dynomat and an under seat sub.

And no, I definitely cannot manage any of this myself :xgrin:

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Does anyone know one?

I don't really trust Halfords. There is a road radio local to me but they are not that great. I have used them with previous cars and they are very reluctant to do anything other than drop replacement speakers of the same size in.

My plan is to buy some adapters to fit 6.5 inch component speakers in the front doors, a small bit of dynomat and an under seat sub.

And no, I definitely cannot manage any of this myself :xgrin:
All sounds like easy stuff to me mate, I done the headunit etc in my car but have left the speakers as I think they are aftermarket. The carpet etc is very easy to remove and put the dynomat down and so on. Running the wires for the sub would be easy also, happy to help if you fancy doing it yourself as your local enough I believe

nails

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
All sounds like easy stuff to me mate, I done the headunit etc in my car but have left the speakers as I think they are aftermarket. The carpet etc is very easy to remove and put the dynomat down and so on. Running the wires for the sub would be easy also, happy to help if you fancy doing it yourself as your local enough I believe
The sub wiring, the tweeters and the modification to ensure 6.5 inch speakers fit in the front are all bits I am not confident about. If you think it's not a problem, I would be happy to take you up on your offer :xyes:

carl hammond

Advanced Member
nails said:
The sub wiring, the tweeters and the modification to ensure 6.5 inch speakers fit in the front are all bits I am not confident about. If you think it's not a problem, I would be happy to take you up on your offer :xyes:
Hi mate we can discuss at the meet end of month and I will look into the door bit, the rest is all stuff I have done in the past (not on a DC5 but other cars) can't see any of it being that bad it's just time dependant etc

I was going to do mine also but am 50/50 on it :)

nails

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi mate we can discuss at the meet end of month and I will look into the door bit, the rest is all stuff I have done in the past (not on a DC5 but other cars) can't see any of it being that bad it's just time dependant etc

I was going to do mine also but am 50/50 on it :)
The door bit is fitting a speaker adapter to the doors, it will mean drilling holes into the metal. This is the adapter that fits our cars according to previous threads (yes it is a Vauxhall Vectra one :xaiweb6: ): http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/head-unit-accessories/autoleads-speaker-adaptor-sak-2902-h

H_5hum

Advanced Member
I think i have asked you both before but have forgotten - where are you guys based in the South East?
I am trying to figure out how local you guys are as I have just bought everything I need to fit speakers/Sub and thought we could make a car day out of it.

I am based in Tunbridge Wells, West Kent. (TN4) if that helps!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
H_5hum said:
I think i have asked you both before but have forgotten - where are you guys based in the South East?
I am trying to figure out how local you guys are as I have just bought everything I need to fit speakers/Sub and thought we could make a car day out of it.

I am based in Tunbridge Wells, West Kent. (TN4) if that helps!
Hi mate I am round the corner, Kings Hill West Malling (ME19),

Any links for the stuff needed as I too could look to do this on mine if we all want too :)

nails

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi mate I am round the corner, Kings Hill West Malling (ME19),

Any links for the stuff needed as I too could look to do this on mine if we all want too :)
Yep I am interested. Tunbridge Wells is only about 40 mins from me, I am in Crawley.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
nails said:
Yep I am interested. Tunbridge Wells is only about 40 mins from me, I am in Crawley.
Maybe I need to look at buying some bits then guys, any links would help if you have them.

H_5hum

Advanced Member
I think the link above for the speaker adaptors are correct.

So far i have bought these:

Front speaker adaptors (comes with wire adaptors)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAK-2902-VAUXHALL-VECTRA-FRONT-DOOR-130MM-165MM-FITTING-ADAPTOR-1995-2002/150722765747?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Speaker wire adaptors (Using for rear speakers)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-Civic-EP-2-3-Speaker-Adaptor-Lead-Loom-Cable-Plug-Connector-PC2-818/260834593478?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And as personal preference i bought these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-TS-A173CI-350-Watt-17cm-2-Way-Component-Car-Speakers-System-Kit/401043117775?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Always been a fan of pioneer, these were quite cheap compared to my old infinity components but they were damaged by the rust in my old car so thought id give them a go.

Ive got a load of wires and cable from my previous set up so not got any of those links.

I have a Genesis Profile 4 amp and a 12" Pioneer sub to install in the system too. Not yet bought the rear speakers and headunit yet.

shifty89

H_5hum said:
I think the link above for the speaker adaptors are correct.

So far i have bought these:

Front speaker adaptors (comes with wire adaptors)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAK-2902-VAUXHALL-VECTRA-FRONT-DOOR-130MM-165MM-FITTING-ADAPTOR-1995-2002/150722765747?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Speaker wire adaptors (Using for rear speakers)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-Civic-EP-2-3-Speaker-Adaptor-Lead-Loom-Cable-Plug-Connector-PC2-818/260834593478?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And as personal preference i bought these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-TS-A173CI-350-Watt-17cm-2-Way-Component-Car-Speakers-System-Kit/401043117775?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Always been a fan of pioneer, these were quite cheap compared to my old infinity components but they were damaged by the rust in my old car so thought id give them a go.

Ive got a load of wires and cable from my previous set up so not got any of those links.

I have a Genesis Profile 4 amp and a 12" Pioneer sub to install in the system too. Not yet bought the rear speakers and headunit yet.
Yep those links for adapters etc are what I used. I Put Focal 5.25 in the rear and some Focal component 6.5 in the fronts using that Vauxhall adaptor all fits nice and snug (although I didn't do the fronts as didn't want a hack job done on the tweeters as they got changed as well, I wasn't prepared to bodge that up :xaiweb6: )

I'm thinking of installing an underseat Sub/amp combo, seems to get good reviews and I think I need something better to drive the Focal's as the Pioneer headunit isnt cutting it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kicker-HS8-8-Amplified-Compact-Under-Seat-Car-Subwoofer/380903939118?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

nails

Advanced Member
shifty89 said:
Yep those links for adapters etc are what I used. I Put Focal 5.25 in the rear and some Focal component 6.5 in the fronts using that Vauxhall adaptor all fits nice and snug (although I didn't do the fronts as didn't want a hack job done on the tweeters as they got changed as well, I wasn't prepared to bodge that up :xaiweb6: )

I'm thinking of installing an underseat Sub/amp combo, seems to get good reviews and I think I need something better to drive the Focal's as the Pioneer headunit isnt cutting it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kicker-HS8-8-Amplified-Compact-Under-Seat-Car-Subwoofer/380903939118?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Got a link to the component focals you used?

shifty89

nails said:
Got a link to the component focals you used?
To be honest I used them as I managed to get them really cheap out of a mk6 golf R that was breaking so it seemed silly not to :)

These for the rears although a bit small they fit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOCAL-130A1-ACCESS-A1-130MM-5-25-2-WAY-CAR-AUDIO-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-SET-/260900154626?hash=item3cbedc6d02:g:qZcAAOSwc-tY52Y4

These for the fronts:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-IS165VW-VW-2-Way-Component-Kit-/122619630457?epid=1646963767&hash=item1c8cb31379:g:EXwAAOSwA3dYW8eh

H_5hum

Advanced Member
I made a start on feeding the wires through the car yesterday. Pretty straight forward but it took me some time.

I started off by feeding through the power cable from the engine bay into a grommet that comes in from behind the glove box.

I then took off the trim on the left side of the car - Door sills, the corner trim under the glove box etc to run the wires under the carpet. You have to pull up the rubber seals to set free the plastic clips that hold the carpet down.

When i got the wires to the end of the door, (towards the rear) I took out the rear seats so I was able to get easy access to feed the wires to the back of the car. I found a guide online somewhere to take the seats off as I hadn't done it before. it is P*ss easy.

I will try to write up what I had done with photos at some point. Would be much easier to follow with images.

What I would definitely recommend is get yourself an old wire hanger. That thing was so useful for pulling cables through tight spots and hard to reach places especially if you plan to feed a wire up the drivers side too.

Nothing has been fitted yet - slow progress as I don't get much time at the moment to work on the car!

Anyone else had a go yet?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
H_5hum said:
I made a start on feeding the wires through the car yesterday. Pretty straight forward but it took me some time.

I started off by feeding through the power cable from the engine bay into a grommet that comes in from behind the glove box.

I then took off the trim on the left side of the car - Door sills, the corner trim under the glove box etc to run the wires under the carpet. You have to pull up the rubber seals to set free the plastic clips that hold the carpet down.

When i got the wires to the end of the door, (towards the rear) I took out the rear seats so I was able to get easy access to feed the wires to the back of the car. I found a guide online somewhere to take the seats off as I hadn't done it before. it is P*ss easy.

I will try to write up what I had done with photos at some point. Would be much easier to follow with images.

What I would definitely recommend is get yourself an old wire hanger. That thing was so useful for pulling cables through tight spots and hard to reach places especially if you plan to feed a wire up the drivers side too.

Nothing has been fitted yet - slow progress as I don't get much time at the moment to work on the car!

Anyone else had a go yet?
Not had a go myself but have had all the seats and carpet and panels out / off for cleaning in the past so don't see it being an issue, the hardest part will be securing speakers (modifying things to fit so I have heard)?

Will have to arrange something soon as your so local mate

H_5hum

Advanced Member
Yeah, I didn't even go as far as taking all the carpet and front seats out. Would have taken me even longer otherwise lol.

As for securing the speakers, I don't think it would be too much of an issue. Having read previous guides and threads online (The one I have followed was the RSX one) they seem pretty straight forward.

Drilling into the door panel sounds daunting, but as long as it has all been marked out properly, and you are using the right tools then that shouldn't be an issue.

One question I do have is if there is any kind of "white or grey paint" I could use on the drilled area to protect and prevent it from any possible rust?
There was a small spot under the rear seats which had a rust spot and I want to eventually take it all out again, sand down and just paint it to protect it.

H_5hum

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Will have to arrange something soon as your so local mate
oh yeah, and I am up for this for sure. I just need to get the car fixed! Unless you guys pop round! (Could probably just fit 3 tegs on my drive if I move the temp runaround and the Missus' car lol)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yeah, I didn't even go as far as taking all the carpet and front seats out. Would have taken me even longer otherwise lol.

As for securing the speakers, I don't think it would be too much of an issue. Having read previous guides and threads online (The one I have followed was the RSX one) they seem pretty straight forward.

Drilling into the door panel sounds daunting, but as long as it has all been marked out properly, and you are using the right tools then that shouldn't be an issue.

One question I do have is if there is any kind of "white or grey paint" I could use on the drilled area to protect and prevent it from any possible rust?
There was a small spot under the rear seats which had a rust spot and I want to eventually take it all out again, sand down and just paint it to protect it.
Could just use a rust treatment I guess and let me know when, I am about anytime pretty much as so local mate, I think you're only about 20 mins from me :)

H_5hum

Advanced Member
So, The car got taken into TGM on Monday which is good news. I managed to fit my front components, (but not yet connect up any wires) before it went away.

Photos will follow once i get on my phone and back at home with WiFi.

I did the driver side first and didn't get time to do the passenger side until a few weeks later.
I decided to take off the door card on the drivers side again once i finished with the passenger side, so I could add some more Dynamat i had missed out.

But to my surprise water had leaked in and the speaker and cables were all wet. There was also a puddle on the bottom of the plastic speaker adapter.

I quickly took the speaker out and dried it, and i tried to rearrange the cabling so water would not "drip down the wires" but I am still confused at why there was so much water? The car hasn't moved, and i would not have thought much water would have gone through in-between the panels?

My only assumption is the window channel where the glass goes in - even still, water would be seaping in constantly if this was the case?

Anyone else had this issue?

I will be checking it more often when I get the car back anyway - Once you have taken the Door Cards out once, it takes 2 minutes from then on every time you do it. Its easy. :)

Thanks

Hyn