Mugen, Injen and Jackson Header Dyno result

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Ok as some of you may know I had the mugen induction kit on my car and wasn't very happy with the cold air flow issue as the last time I had it Dyno'd it was reading 40oC and it should be around the 20 mark or lower.

This is due to the hot air coming from the rad and being pushed back into the mugen air scoop..

Anyway I decided to sell the Mugen and buy an Injen CAI.. below you can see the dyno results..

Now the first result is the Mugen induction kit on my car with Hayward and scott exhaust and hondata ECU. On this run I got 187.8whp which is about 221 bhp BUT air flow was reading 40oC... not good..

ok now here is a run with my Injen induction kit on my car with Hayward and scott exhaust and hondata ECU.. On this run I got 179.8whp which is about 215 bhp ...

Mugen in BLUE
Injen in RED

So as you can see the Mugen has given me better top end and better low down but the Injen is better in the mid range giving me 5bhp over the Mugen ..BUT the good thing is the Injen is only 14oC in it temps which is much much better..

So to sum up on these two induction kits...

The mugen is a better induction kit giving you about 4 - 8 bhp gains BUT I reckon you need to have either the Mugen front bumper or a good air flow bypassing the rad to get the temps down to get the most out of the Mugen..

Downside: Price and air flow.
Upside: Incased in engine bay, looks nice and easy to fit

The Injen I think is better in the mid range (and I can feel the difference there) and I am very happy with the temps.. plus it sounds the bollocks too :wink:

Downside: Could get wet, changing the filter means taking the bumper off and around 3-4 hrs to fit
Upside: Price, cold air flow is better and sounds wicked

Ok so at the moment I have lost a little bit of the top end.. remembering I do track days so top end isn't that important to me right now..

Now lets add the Jackson Header (manifold) on to the car... (unfortunately I didn't have the mugen at this point so I am rolling the car with just the Injen).

For our final run I have the Injen induction kit on my car with Hayward and scott exhaust, Jackson racing header and hondata ECU

As you will see below I am back up to 188.4whp, which is about 222.bhp. Meaning that the header has given me 11bhp.. :D

Also if you look at the dyno it has given me about 5bhp in the mid but my top is about 6-8bhp.. plus as you can see the power didn't die until we hit the limiter (which I told him to keep going until we hit it)

Injen on its own in BLUE
Injen with Jackson Header in RED

So with the Jackson Header and the Injen I now have about 8bhp in the mid over the Mugen, but as I couldn't dyno the car with the header and the Mugen I have no idea what gains could of been had there...

If you take the fact that I dyno'd at 187.8whp with the mugen on its own, then I might have got around 198.8whp with the mugen and the Jackson Header giving around 230bhp which isn't bad at all for these cars...

But that is just a real guessimate..

Overal I am very happy with this setup as I now have the power in the mid, which is where I wanted it for track use plus my temps are nice and low.. and the car sounds wicked..

But I will still need to buy the K20 Pro as I am running very lead :? and I reckon with the K20 Pro I will get a more bhp out of the car, maybe around the 2-4bhp gain plus lots more ftlb... :wink:

K20 Pro is on order so watch this space for the next dyno...

Cheers

UW

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Hmm this makes for an interesting read. Some good results there Mark. Those intake temps you are talking about, were they taken during the Dyno runs? :?:

Dyno fans are OK, but do not give a true representation of on the road cooling, especially at the front on/above the radiator where the Mugen gets it's air from, so I would say that on the road the temperature differential would reduce. :idea:

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hi Andy

Hows it all going mate? Yes those temps where on the Dyno, and I agree that on the road they will be alot lower but if I am getting 14oC on the Dyno then I must be getting a really nice low temp on the road..

But I do think that the Mugen is a good induction kit.. hmmm maybe I shouldn't of sold it :roll: LOL... oh well you got to try these things..

But Andy or anyone else that is thinking about doing a few extra mods, the Manifold seems like that is giving our cars the best single gain in HP pound for pound.. so well worth doing.. and the noise :D the VTEC never sounded so good 8)

UW

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Mark,

Interesting results mate. Damn shame you didn't keep the Mugen for the test.

I've tried to order a GruppeM from the states but it doesn't look like it's going to turn up for some time. They have taken the money but don't seem in a hurry to supply it. I was trying to get it cheaper than the UK price but they've now upped the price in the US.

In the mean time I've ordered a Spoon 2-1 pipe and a 5Zigen intake from Taka Kaira. I should get it in a week or so. I'll post the dyno results as soon as it's fitted. I presume CPL did the fitting for you? I'm torn between taking mine to them or Abbey. I just want to keep the dyno machine consistent.

Tests planned :-

a) Current : Spoon drop-in, Bored TB, Stock Manifold, Mugen Twin-loop
b) Test 1: 5Zigen Intake, Spoon drop-in, Bored TB, Stock Manifold, Mugen Twin-loop
c) Test2: Spoon 2-1, 5Zigen Intake, Spoon drop-in, Bored TB, Stock Manifold, Mugen Twin-loop

It would be nice to borrow a Mugen intake from somewhere to try this at the same time. If I cancelled the GruppeM this might be possible.

Cheers,

Jon

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hey Johno

are you planning on getting the K20 Pro as I reckon with all those changes your fueling is going to be a little lean like mine.. depending on how bad it is will depend if you need it tuned out i guess.

As for who to go to .. well Guy is good I think.. maybe not the cheapest :wink: but he knows his stuff when it comes to tuning..

I will get my reprogrammable tuned by him and do two tunings.. a road tune and a track tune and just load it in via the laptop when on circuit..

But I understand what you mean re. staying with the same dyno's.. thats what I am trying to do now..

I would be interested in getting my car dyno'd with another DC5 thou just to see how close the dyno's really are.

Maybe once you have had all your stuff fitted we can arrange to go to the same dyno (not bothered which one) and we test them together..

Cheers

UW

T666YPR

Is the Jackson header a 4:2 or a 4:2:1 ?
Nice gain for the header,a shame the Mugen had to go.

Jonster,what date have Taka Kaira given you for your 5Zigen?
Mine's been on back order for a coupl'a months and still shows as "sold out,next stock first week in April"

Trung

Advanced Member
BTW Mark
Nice to see a healthy increase with the JR manifold.

The results are not what I've expected. Would've thought you should get more power from the Injen CAI as the Yanks have proved.
Also I cant agree with your theory that mid range power being more important on track situations. Top end power IMO is more important. But still if the dyno runs were done at the sametime then we would've a better comparision between the two induction kits.

Type-R 69

Advanced Member
totally agree with you trung i just ordered gruppem ram air from cpl the injen don't seem to be good as they predict it to be i think aem cai is better.trying to book my car for a dyno on thursday with abbey motorsport with the injen cai on i believe i will be down on power just have wait and see also maybe need a custom cat-back like stanwan did keep you lot posted

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Trung said:
BTW Mark

Also I cant agree with your theory that mid range power being more important on track situations. Top end power IMO is more important.

Well the way I look at it.. if you are fast in the bends and holding the mid range VTEC then you will be fast overal around the track.. what is the point in blasting fast down the straights only to be caught up at the bends :roll:

So thats what I mean by mid range.. I am trying to drive by using the mid range of the car and not taking it above 8000 rpm.. I have been shown how fast you can be around a track without redlining it everywhere..

But hey I am no pro..

UW

CPL Racing

jonster said:
Hi Mark,

It would be nice to borrow a Mugen intake from somewhere to try this at the same time. If I cancelled the GruppeM this might be possible.

Cheers,

Jon
Jon,

I will have stock of the Gruppe M's in a couple of weeks, however only for EP3 at the moment, If you would like one for DC5 I can add some of those to our stock list too.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Type R - Matt

Hi ya matt, yeah it was a different day. But the dyno can be set for actual room temps or something like that, so it shouldn't matter if its hot one day and cold another. the reading should be the same if you RnR the same car one day and went back two weeks later and RnR'd it again..

Thats what I was told anyway :wink:

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one because I'm in a bar with an Internet feed in the Alps at the moment (snow boarding for a week) :)

Taka say the will ship the 5Zigen on 27th of this month so they must be expecting stock.

I'd like to run with a K20 Pro for a while to data log the a/f and other sensors for a while before putting the Spoon 2-1 on. I'd like to see how things should be before making the car run lean with the cat by-pass.

I might can the GruppeM order if they GruppeM NA take any longer and get a Mugen instead. Not sure what to do right now.

I was going to order some super light Buddy Club P1 Racing QF's (16" 5.05Kg) from Taka but they don't have the colour I want. Going for some Rota's now at have the cost an only 1Kg more.

Peak power is what you need for the track where you're in the VTEC zone most of the time. Mid range is good for the road. I wan't it all.

Laters,

Jon