Mugen Rear Mid Brace Installation Guide

carl hammond

Advanced Member
As I have not seen a guide for this I thought I would put one up with some images of the process. I disn't take pictures of every step as my car was half stripped anyway and so the seat removal process and tools are just from memory but can be confirmed if needed. The rest of the job is simple.

Parts and tools needed

* Mugen Rear Mid Brace (Genuine or Replica)

* 4 x Bolts (M10 x 30mm (length) with a thread pitch of 1.25). Genuine Honda Upper Exhaust Manifold Stay Flanged Bolt 10x30 S2000 AP1 are what‘s needed, Part number is 95701-1003008 (tegiwa link - https://www.tegiwaimports.com/genuine-honda-upper-exhaust-manifold-stay-flanged-bolt-10x30-s2000-ap1.html

* 14mm spanner and 14mm socket

* 10mm/12mm spanner and 10mm/12mm Socket – size to be confirmed - (Additional for seat removal)

* Ratchet

* Phillips screwdriver

* Small flathead screwdriver and/or small trim removal tool

* Dremel or similar cutting tool for cutting of the rear quarter panels (if you choose to do this)

* Rubber trim edging (9.5mm x 6mm and 2 metres is enough, found on ebay)

* Template (for cutting rear quarter panels) if you want too, if not you can remove them and fit this brace and refit the panels but it will bow them slightly, this wont be seen if you have the rear seats installed still.
I will upload an image fo the template and manual that can be printed off.

Guide

Step 1
Firstly if you have rear seats in it would be easier to remove them. This is done by removing the 4 bolts at the sides of the seats from the brackets (seen when the backs are dropped). I believe this is done using an 8 or 10mm Socket/Spanner from memory – Size can be confirmed), then there is a bolt through the middle of the seat backs also that needs to be removed. Once the seat backs are out you can simply lift the lower rear bench out by pulling up on it, this is just clipped down at the front on both the left and right side.

Step 2
Remove the rear speaker grills and the rear speakers (small screwdriver or trim removal tool to remove the grill and three screws per speaker)

Step 3
Now remove the rear quarter inner panels. I did not picture this as it‘s very simple to do, everything is clipped in, there are 6 proper white trim clips and the rest are just plastic clips that pop into place. If you start at the front lift the back edge of the lower door trip first where the rear quarter goes under it and then pop the panel off from the top slower working your way back. The 6 white trim clips (that can easily break) are all across the top and central area aside from one which is near where the seat back bracket it located so be gentle there to avoid breaking it/them),

Step 4
Once the panels are out use the templates against the panels and mark the area(s) to be cut and get to work with the Dremel (or chosen cutting tool)

Step 5
Now remove the 4 bolts (circled in red) apologies for the lack of closeup and specific images but I decided to do this after finishing the job. These bolts are to be kept as they cannot be used due to them being 10mm too short.

Step 6
Now place the bar in place and fit it using the 4 new bolts from the link above and
re-install the rear quarter panels

Step 7
Rubber Trim Edging – Cut this to the length required to neaten you the cut panels and just push it onto the panel

Step 8
Re-install the speakers and speaker grills

Step 9
Re-fit the rear bench and seat backs (if you want them in the car still) – I have only re-fitted the rear lower bench and not the seatbacks but put the rear seatback brackets in so I don‘t lose them.

Here is the final result of the bar fitted with the lower bench and rear panels but not the rear seat uprights.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Fake one arrived today. Went straight in no bother following the guide. Not trimmed my panels yet as they aren't ready to go in. Just need to find a fake Mugen Power sticker now.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Fake one arrived today. Went straight in no bother following the guide. Not trimmed my panels yet as they aren't ready to go in. Just need to find a fake Mugen Power sticker now.
I bought the last genuine set from japan, gave one to Michael (Linus27) S I sold him a front brace I sourced

If I don‘t need the last one I‘ll let you know mate, if not I‘ll try and find an exact Likeness one for you :)

Still need to put pics up but I can‘t until next month as Tapatalk won‘t let me :-(

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I bought the last genuine set from japan, gave one to Michael (Linus27) S I sold him a front brace I sourced

If I don‘t need the last one I‘ll let you know mate, if not I‘ll try and find an exact Likeness one for you :)

Still need to put pics up but I can‘t until next month as Tapatalk won‘t let me :-(
Hendy have one that looks about right on eBay, I've messaged them for dimensions.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Hendy have one that looks about right on eBay, I've messaged them for dimensions.
Awesome mate, I couldn‘t find the actual original one (only In japan) so bought the pack

That said it‘s just a mugen sticker lol, if want the dimensions let me know and I‘ll measure it

Look forward to seeing pics of yours Fitted and the quality Mate

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Awesome mate, I couldn‘t find the actual original one (only In japan) so bought the pack

That said it‘s just a mugen sticker lol, if want the dimensions let me know and I‘ll measure it

Look forward to seeing pics of yours Fitted and the quality Mate
Quality isn't amazing to he fair. Cant compare it to to the mugen, but it seems a little flimsy. It seems to have a bit of flex when you push/pull on it. Not sure if that's normal.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Quality isn't amazing to he fair. Cant compare it to to the mugen, but it seems a little flimsy. It seems to have a bit of flex when you push/pull on it. Not sure if that's normal.

Not sure I‘ll check but can‘t see it being worse at all that genuine as it‘s just a hollow tube welded ends and fit lol :)

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Not sure I‘ll check but can‘t see it being worse at all that genuine as it‘s just a hollow tube welded ends and fit lol :)
What size is your sticker out of curiosity. Still no reply from hendy so I ordered a ebay job. Days 50mm but no idea where its measured from. Hoping width and not thickness

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
What size is your sticker out of curiosity. Still no reply from hendy so I ordered a ebay job. Days 50mm but no idea where its measured from. Hoping width and not thickness

Lol I‘ll dig it out tomorrow and measure for you and pm the details mate 👍🏻

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Lol I‘ll dig it out tomorrow and measure for you and pm the details mate
Cheers, appreciate it. Just found a copy on the bay 50mm and 75mm. The latter sounded too big, but genuinely no idea what size it should be.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Appending the genuine documents (inc template), I have added this elsewhere on here but I thought I would add it to the post most relevant as I will be deleting my virtual copies now I wont need them again.Mugen1.jpgMugen1.jpgMugen2.jpgMugen3.jpg

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Very tidy cuts there, thanks for the guide
No problem mate, with the bar being discontinued I felt it worth loading everything relevant alongside this guide for anyone who wants to fit one later down the line (genuine or an ebay copy if they cannot find the genuine one)