This includes the filter and exhaust
Result: NO CHANGE compared to Stock+Filter
The exhaust gave zip!!
Talk about one extreme to the other :(

Mr_GaBIG

Mugen Sports Exhaust :?:

Is this the twin loop :?:

If so, what did you expect :?:

It was not made to give you big gains...

jonster

Advanced Member
That looks pretty good to me considering it's still using the cat. It's the area under the curve that matters. I bet you can feel a difference when driving. I did when I fitted mine. Mid range especially.

Nice one!

Jon

PS Can't wait for Mugen to bring out their header with high flow cat :)

T666YPR

Mr_GaBIG said:
So you gained 0.1 lb/ft and lost 1.1 hp... :?
That's about it. :oops:
Could have done a few more runs to get marginally better figures but basically graph plot is virtually identical when laid over the plot for the Spoon filter alone.Fuelling graph was almost mirror image and intake temp near as damn.
Can feel no change in the car at all... :(
...now that the Spoon 2:1 pipe is on (figures tomorrow) its could be a different thing all together. :D
Gonna cost too much distance and money to put original cat back pipe on to Dynapack the 2:1 and filter alone;then filter + 2:1 + Mugen.Shame,as this would show if the Mugen works better after the cat is gone compared to original.
Car has done about 10 miles and checklight not come on yet since fitting 2:1 (have a solution waiting if it does) :)
p.s. The Mugen is the twin loop,one concillation(sp?),looks great :)

Trung

Advanced Member
Im not suprised really, the Mugen Sports exhaust system was designed for street use and has a tiny 53mm diameter mid pipe.
When you have the Spoon 2-1 fitted you might loose some low torque and gain some at high revs.

Mr_GaBIG

You are going to dyno your car again?

How much are you spending on this, you could have bought more for your car if you didn't go all the time :D

T666YPR

Whats money if not for spending :wink:
By dyno'ing everything I can spot what does and doesn't work and in turn can post results so it can help anyone on forum.
Fitted the Mugen to keep noise down for track days but also hoped it would at least add a liitle.(Very little for 750 notes but nice piece of kit)
Hoping the Mugen will save some low torque when all pipes done.
Was going to fit Spoon N1 but everyone said how noisy it was,ne'er mind.
Would like to say the 2:1 has transformed the car,but this is tempting fate 'til its dynoed :wink: :D

jonster

Advanced Member
That will learn me for not reading the post fully. 1 Muppet point to me :oops:

It's a strange result and it completely blows my theories out the water. I didn't dyno mine until after the Mugen exhaust was fitted and before the Spoon drop-in was installed. As soon as the Mugen was fitted I notied a difference when driving though. I know it's lighter than the stock cat-back section so maybe that's what I was feeling. Who knows? When I added the Spoon drop-in later on, and had the bored trottle body done, I didn't notice any difference in performance (apart from just a slightly better throttle response). Go figure!

I've since removed the right angle pipe at the beginning of the intake to make the air flow hit the air box head on to try and improve things but it made no difference.

Last dyno and only dyno session showed :-

Mods : Mugen Sports TwinLoop : 200WHP
Mods : Mugen Sports TwinLoop + Hondata : 205WHP*
Mods : Mugen Sports TwinLoop + Hondata + Stock intake half disconnected from intake to TB pipe : 215WHP**

*The most imortant gain with the Hondata is the torque improvement. At 6k this improved from 120ft/lb to 145ft/lb.

**Certainly shows that the intake is quite a restriction still and can be improved. Maybe a GruppeM is the answer. I'd like to see a Mugen + 5Zigen combination measured too.

I need to check my current mods next time before any additions :-

Mods : Mugen Sports TwinLoop + Hondata + Bored TB + Spoon Drop-in: ?WHP

The quest continues.

Jon

T666YPR

jonster said:
Certainly shows that the intake is quite a restriction still and can be improved. Maybe a GruppeM is the answer. I'd like to see a Mugen + 5Zigen combination measured too.
Same here.
Got the 5Zigen on back order at Taka Kaira.Will post results to see if this works with the drop in,but would love to know how well it works with the Mugen airbox.
The drop in filter alone worked very well on my car so the Mugen will have to show big gains for me to swop(once bitten twice shy with the exhaust)
:) :)

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Surprised by this one Simon - almost as surprised as I was by the gains from the drop-in alone! My new zorst should be here in the next couple of weeks so we'll be able to compare.

I too shall be dyno-ing each of my mods to check their performance - then I'll have empirical evidence of adaptations to power and torque curves that confirm or deny changes in driving characteristics.

I know this is an extra layout Mr_GaBIG but when one spends big money on mods, that little bit more for an objective test seems a small price to pay for the objective evidence it returns.

T666YPR

Paul,
Yeah the Mugen was a bit of a let down,but I think it helped the torque a bit now the 2:1 downpipe is on.
Like you say about the dynoing,if you know what every bit has contributed then you know what step to take for any bit you change instead of guessing which bit works and which bit doesn't.Plus there's no niggles in the back of your mind like "what if I'd?..."etc
Giving us any clues to your new pipes? :wink:
Simon

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Not til its on... don't want people screaming at me I've made the wrong choice before I've got the results on paper :wink: My GruppeM charger and your Spoon drop-in are perfect cases in point - I got 9HP at the hubs from that one mod which was MUCH better than I was led to expect and I was VERY happy, you got 6-odd out of a replacement filter. If I was a jealous man, I'd have got slightly miffed about that but I'm not :roll: :wink:

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Having had spent loads on Exhaust systems for my old EK9, one thing that I learnt is the OEM centre section is actually pretty good, I tried 3 systems on mine, and ended up with OEM mid, Spoon BB, its the same with the Induction, drop an uprated filter in better results than Apexi, HKS etc, I ended up with Mugen which worked well.

If I had a DC5 I would replace the 2-1, and BB, thats it, the rest aint worth the cash, as it barely gives you anything, plus you really don't want to be making your cars to noisey as trackday DB levels are being reduced, when I imported mine in I insisted that it had a different BB, to save on cost.