New CAR TAX rates in 2008 Budget!!

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
Bad news for anyone with a performance car, or looking to buy a performance car in the next few years (even more so if its new in to the UK)

attached is the low down Courtesty of Autotraders website...

The biggest changes are the increase in tax bands, the new 1st year supersized tax for the 1st year of use which is almost 1000quid for the highest tax band!!!

also even those of us on the 224g/kg emmsions code with Dc5's will see a hike from 210GBP per year in 08/09 to 300quid in 09/10 !!! :evil:

Project

Advanced Member
They are just abusing this climate nonsense, to get more cash off from things they never touched before, like we dont already pay enough to keep our cars on the road

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
Sod it, I'm going to go and buy a old big block V8 that chucks everything short of ZyklonB out of the exhaust...no emissions check so the tax man can go screw himself :D

logik

Advanced Member
About time you join the club :p.

I pay €600 a year for my DC5 as it is and our roads are complete crap when compared to the UK.

chrisr111

200BHPCARS said:
Bad news for anyone with a performance car, or looking to buy a performance car in the next few years (even more so if its new in to the UK)

attached is the low down Courtesty of Autotraders website...

The biggest changes are the increase in tax bands, the new 1st year supersized tax for the 1st year of use which is almost 1000quid for the highest tax band!!!

also even those of us on the 224g/kg emmsions code with Dc5's will see a hike from 210GBP per year in 08/09 to 300quid in 09/10 !!! :evil:

Andy, do you know what will happen to PLG taxed DC5s?

Chris.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Think you mean page 122 xthumbup

Luckily I fall into this group. Feel sorry for all those that will be paying £300. It's a joke how the tax rates keep increasing.

morgan

Advanced Member
DolphiN Tech said:
Sod it, I'm going to go and buy a old big block V8 that chucks everything short of ZyklonB out of the exhaust...no emissions check so the tax man can go screw himself :D
My old yank - Got my tax reminder through yesterday. 12 months is 'zero'. Its a nice feeling - if I do it online they even post the disc to me for free.... The DC5 is massively more expensive to run (well, apart from petrol of course... :) )

Edit - PS - My old RX7 was emissions exempt on the MOT as well. Dont know what they would classify that as now ?

LA-DC5 ITR

Advanced Member
logik said:
About time you join the club :p.

I pay €600 a year for my DC5 as it is and our roads are complete crap when compared to the UK.
You dont know how good you have it in Uk

I was paying €710 a year for my 2.2 dohc vtec and it went up to €800 in jan. the dc5 will be €600 a year, thats approx £460 and believe me & logik, the roads here are unbelievably bad. At least you get a decent road network for your money. We only have 1 motorway (thats been blocked for over a year) and more potholes than iraq :cry:

Ok rant over, back to work.

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
so what tax will a dc5 registered over here within next 3-4 months pay?

I paid £180 on my DC5 previously so i think it went on when car was first registered rather than when registered here in UK? is that right?

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
jimmy_atr said:

I paid £180 on my DC5 previously so i think it went on when car was first registered rather than when registered here in UK? is that right?
Yeah, think your right. Mine was first registered in July 2001, but wasn't imported till June 05, and I am paying £180 at the moment as my log book says PLG rather than having an emissions reading. I think after 2001 they started putting emission readings on the log book.

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
ollie-dc5 said:
jimmy_atr said:

Yeah, think your right. Mine was first registered in July 2001, but wasn't imported till June 05, and I am paying £180 at the moment as my log book says PLG rather than having an emissions reading. I think after 2001 they started putting emission readings on the log book.
So will PLG continue to be used for the new DC5's being registered over here? If that is the case thats a big plus point for DC5's!

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
jimmy_atr said:
ollie-dc5 said:
jimmy_atr said:

So will PLG continue to be used for the new DC5's being registered over here? If that is the case thats a big plus point for DC5's!
Don't think so. As far as I know it's something thay did upto 2001 only. After that it went on emissions, or maybe engine size, I think. Maybe one of the oldies on here will be able to confirm. But definately no more being registered as PLG. So unfortunately, as I see it, newly registered DC5's will be paying £300 in 2009/10 and then in 2010/11 new ones will pay the first year rate of £550 and then £310 each year after that! Not good at all :!:

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
ollie-dc5 said:
jimmy_atr said:
ollie-dc5 said:
jimmy_atr said:

Don't think so. As far as I know it's something thay did upto 2001 only. After that it went on emissions, or maybe engine size, I think. Maybe one of the oldies on here will be able to confirm. But definately no more being registered as PLG. So unfortunately, as I see it, newly registered DC5's will be paying £300 in 2009/10 and then in 2010/11 new ones will pay the first year rate of £550 and then £310 each year after that! Not good at all :!:
Its too confusing! If it goes on emissions then that would be the case i assume.

My old DC5 was PLG and £180 a year tax, that was a 2001 DC5. So are we saying that 2001 DC5's were registered as PLG but now go on emissions? if so be good to know what date the cut off was!

vadhert

it boils down to this:

previously an importer could get away with slapping a PLG during the registration. This is now not the case and the DVLA seem to have caught onto this.

example: A 2001 DC5 imported in 2001 can be classed as a PLG however a 2001 DC5 imported in or after march 2007 will be classed as band G.

However to make matters a little more confusing there are two engine types of the DC5, The earlier and the later. One reading 223.7 and one reading 234. If you have the 234 then you will be on the higher road tax as it currently falls into band G £400 per year whereas the 223.7 is band F £210.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer, Well for this year anyway.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
2001 DC5's were taxed under the PLG group, but will now fall into 'VED bands and rates for private and light goods vehicles registered before 1 March 2001 (pre-graduated VED)' which is on page 123 on the budget.(I'm assuming VED stands for 'Vehicle Emissions .....) Although it says before 1st March 2001, I think it includes all cars that were registered as PLG in 2001, as my DC5 was first registered in June 01 but on my log book there is no emissions reading, and PLG is written in the tax group. Not sure on the cut-off date but the important thing is, if you've got PLG written in the log book, you will only be paying £200 by 2010. If you have an emissions reading in your log book then unfortunately you will going onto the new tax rates and rising to £310 by 2010. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :wink: