New CAR TAX rates in 2008 Budget!!

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
ollie-dc5 said:
2001 DC5's were taxed under the PLG group, but will now fall into 'VED bands and rates for private and light goods vehicles registered before 1 March 2001 (pre-graduated VED)' which is on page 123 on the budget.(I'm assuming VED stands for 'Vehicle Emissions .....) Although it says before 1st March 2001, I think it includes all cars that were registered as PLG in 2001, as my DC5 was first registered in June 01 but on my log book there is no emissions reading, and PLG is written in the tax group. Not sure on the cut-off date but the important thing is, if you've got PLG written in the log book, you will only be paying £200 by 2010. If you have an emissions reading in your log book then unfortunately you will going onto the new tax rates and rising to £310 by 2010. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :wink:
:lol: i havent got a clue whats going on

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
vadhert said:
However to make matters a little more confusing there are two engine types of the DC5, The earlier and the later. One reading 223.7 and one reading 234. If you have the 234 then you will be on the higher road tax as it currently falls into band G £400 per year whereas the 223.7 is band F £210.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer, Well for this year anyway.
Interesting, did not know this.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I haven't a clue either. I'll check my log book in a moment. Car was first registered Aug 2001, imported Jun 2005 ish. I think mine says PLG and doesn't have an emissions reading, which looks to be a bonus unless I'm mistaken...

vadhert

The early guys will be fine if they are PLG its all new owners that are going to get shafted. It really isnt looking good for the import scene at the moment. For example: Flawless japanese imports with low mileage from 2001 will get shafted because the DVLA recognise the 'date of first registration in the uk' and not the 'date of first first registration' as they should.

They want to stop manufacturers producing high emission cars nowadays which I can understand to certain extent but to shaft the owner of a car that was built in 2001 is ridiculous. Its blatently another goverment con to get money for nothing, to pay for scumbags giro's who go around smashing car windows etc.

IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!

....oh and the magic PLG date is cars registered before 1 March 2001

dc2-dave

ollie-dc5 said:
registered before 1 March 2001 (pre-graduated VED)' which is on page 123 on the budget.(I'm assuming VED stands for 'Vehicle Emissions .....)
VED is vehicle excise duty or a posh term for rip off road tax :evil:

Evs

Advanced Member
It says that the reforms will apply to vehicles registered after 1st March 2001 which will be classified by emissions. I really can't see them leaving the 'PLG loophole' open tbh... :|

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Evs said:
It says that the reforms will apply to vehicles registered after 1st March 2001 which will be classified by emissions. I really can't see them leaving the 'PLG loophole' open tbh... :|
But with no emissions report on the V5 how could they possibly hope to put it into a road tax class?

Evs

Advanced Member
Other examples of the same car are classified :idea:

Your optimism knows no bounds does it.... :lol:

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The Government can't possibly request that all owners with PLG on their V5 ask for another form that has the emissions on. Tax discs are issued based on what is written on the V5. That information won't change as that is how cars that are that age were initially registered. Once registered it can't be changed. I just don't see how it could be.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Date of Liability 01 10 2008
Date of First Registration 05 04 2005
Year of Manufacture 2001
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2000CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLACK
Vehicle Type Approval null
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £101.75
12 Months Rate £185.00
Nothing about how polluting it is there. I doubt the government will pay for all PLG registered vehicles that have no emission data to be tested, so I stand by what I originally said.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Evs said:
Very unlikely that they will band none category cars

I'm in the PLG so safe from this tax hike 8)

But then I'm pi55ed off with this:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... 7-details/£520+NI+%27stealth+tax%27+if+you+earn+£40%2C000/article.do

You might need to copy the link into your browser

Evs

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
The Government can't possibly request ...
xrofl

Not sure whether this is wishful thinking or naivety tbh :?

The budget has been laid before Parliament and this is just an implementation issue. It gives the DVLA the authority to write to every manufacturer and 'request' a CO2 figure for every vehicle they make/made that was likely to have been registered after the cutoff date, then just band the vehicle and charge you accordingly.

My interpretation of the statement is that they accept that they may not be able to classify cars registered before 2001, so in the interests of simplicity they've gone for just two bands based on engine size. Anything after that is likely to be fair game, in particular where a CO2 figure is known to exist as later cars have been banded.

Looking on the bright side, that new 'initial' rate seems to be an incentive to keep running an old car for longer rather than buying a brand new one (which is probably overall much more environmentally unfriendly than slightly higher emissions) so I expect we'll see this theme develop and older cars getting re-classified in future... :)

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Well.... I put my Dc5 back on the road this afternoon.. passed it's MOT first time after being laid up for 18 months 8) 8)

Anyway, went and taxed tha car at my local post office.. for 12 months.. £185.. gone up a fiver as a result of the budget this year... so not too bad!

Mike

tron2k3

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
Well.... I put my Dc5 back on the road this afternoon.. passed it's MOT first time after being laid up for 18 months 8) 8)

Anyway, went and taxed tha car at my local post office.. for 12 months.. £185.. gone up a fiver as a result of the budget this year... so not too bad!

Mike
Hows the DC5 running Mike?

You'll have to get it on track and see how it compares with the DC2 :)

Will