New Radio Needed - Recommendations?

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Think my stereo has finally given up on me. Noise comes out but the display is very intermittent and when the display isn't working (still sound coming out), none of the buttons work. Urgh.

So, anyone have any recommendations?

Was in Halfords today and these two caught my eye but would be keen to see what peoples thoughts were who actually own either.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/apple-carplay/pioneer-sph-da120-car-stereo-with-apple-carplay

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/apple-carplay/pioneer-avh-x8700bt-car-stereo-with-apple-carplay-and-android-auto

This caught my eye as well:

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-ilx-700_p-32544.htm

Also, where do people generally order from?

nsxer

Advanced Member
hi mate

the link for the alpine - https://www.caraudio...700_p-32544.htm would be one to go for. You have alpine build quality and internal components
the pioneer is a decent and very capable unit too, this will allow flexibility for cd/dvd which i could not live without so the one for me and Pioneer have good build quality too. Running one in my NSX and will have another in the dc5 when i get it fitted.

caraudioandsecurity and caraudiodirect are 2 good internet shops

halfrauds are not too bad and are there or there abouts re price

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I bought and recently fitted my new head unit (Eonon G2150F)

Very happy with it

Built in navigation

Movie playing (can be from an sd, USB, mobile, DVD, hard drive etc)

Loaded one of my pics as a background image

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Carl, any pictures of this fitted?
Hi mate yeah I‘ll get some tomorrow for you as I deleted my acct on photo bucket and forgot to extract those ones.

I‘ll be checking the car over tomorrow so I‘ll load more mate (I‘ve not got a surround on and around it as forgot before putting it all in the loft) but can‘t be bothered too now.

Any specifics you want to see ?

Midnight

Advanced Member
Yeah, just how it sits and view from passenger door and as you sit in seat please.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Here's mine fitted if that helps

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Midnight

Advanced Member
I like that.

Ours is a kenwood and can't be converted over to U.K. so everything in Japanese 😂

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
I like that.

Ours is a kenwood and can't be converted over to U.K. so everything in Japanese
I had the original Gathers from factory in mine, the owner in Japan installed some Kenwood system underneath the passenger seat and the Kenwood 'VICS' system. Still no idea what it does but he upgraded factory speakers and they sound amazing.

The head unit I've got in now is brilliant for the money, it does Bluetooth and does radio perfectly. I run Android so I didn't both with the expensive ones with Apple CarPlay etc. Bluetooth works perfectly and pairs with your phone instantly.

I bought it from Halfords model number is- MVH-AV290BT and I paid £160. You'll need to buy the fascia from Amazon for £8 as the one supplied doesn't fit. I'm mega happy with it.

Gutted I had to get rid of the Gathers though as it looked really nice and got brighter when you put the lights on

Midnight

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi mate yeah I‘ll get some tomorrow for you as I deleted my acct on photo bucket and forgot to extract those ones.

I‘ll be checking the car over tomorrow so I‘ll load more mate (I‘ve not got a surround on and around it as forgot before putting it all in the loft) but can‘t be bothered too now.

Any specifics you want to see ?
You manage to get any Carl?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
If you don't want the expense, but want the full feature list of smartphone kit.... I'm using this now....

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xsp-n1bt

Very basic unit on it's own, but you can cradle any phone into it, and use any app on your phone via a car focussed interface app.

It's a superb middle ground of features and very little coat £71 I paid for a refurb unit. On track etc, you can run torque with Bluetooth to ECU and have sensor data, g force etc.....

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I had one of those android units of eBay and hated it. So slow at everything. Got a CarPlay unit in the FD2 and it‘s miles better.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
I had one of those android units of eBay and hated it. So slow at everything. Got a CarPlay unit in the FD2 and it‘s miles better.
Chris, I've seen countless posts were you were raving about the unit?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I wouldn't bother with the Android units, get a proper make like the Pioneer units or Kenwood. What do you want out of it? Music or to run software like laptimes?

Midnight

Advanced Member
Well at the moment it's has a kenwood double din. But was only ever released in Japan so no UK software update to change laungage or maps.

Using the USB to iPhone for music.

Just want something in English that I can still connect to the iPhone and play music from my phone to the car.

Doesn't need to be anything fancy.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Well at the moment it's has a kenwood double din. But was only ever released in Japan so no UK software update to change laungage or maps.

Using the USB to iPhone for music.

Just want something in English that I can still connect to the iPhone and play music from my phone to the car.

Doesn't need to be anything fancy.
Just have a wonder into Halfords and see what takes your fancy. You can pick a Kenwood/Pioneer system up from Halfords for under £200 with iPhone connectivity, you don't need Apple CarPlay. All you need is the adapter which you can get off ebay for £5 and then fascia off Amazon for £8.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Chris, I've seen countless posts were you were raving about the unit?
It's okay for the price, but after time using it and then switching to the Apple Car Play one, it made me realise just how shockingly slow it was at anything. If it had a faster CPU in it would be better but I'm happy with my Pioneer now.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Cheers lads.

You've completely put me off the android HU now lol.

Didn't want to spend crazy amounts however £200 would be fine 👍🏼

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Cheers lads.

You've completely put me off the android HU now lol.

Didn't want to spend crazy amounts however £200 would be fine
Get the Sony I linked. It's always as good , fast and useful as your phone handset.