New TEG tomorrow

Awkward Kid

Heading to pick up my first DC5 tomorrow. Super excited to finally get my hands on one.
Coming from an E46 M3, ticking off the bucket list motors and hoping I've found a good one.
Any last words of advice before i hand over the dollar in the morning?
Its a well looked after car and intend on crawling all over it, clutch done etc etc etc...
Any advice much appreciated
Hopefully pictures to follow :)

James-T

Advanced Member
Congrats - they're fantastic cars which can be cheap to run and maintain.

How long has the car been in the country? If for a decent amount of time, I'd be checking rear arches for rust. Also lift the boot carpet and check the spare wheel well, they're prone to leaky rear light seals which can end up causing rust on the boot floor.

K20 engines are usually bulletproof. Gearboxes are decent too but can suffer with 2nd gear crunch issues. If you have difficulty selecting gears when high up in the revs the clutch may need doing. Not an expensive or difficult a job though.

Awkward Kid

Thanks fella.
Its been in the UK for a while but has recently been under sealed again, also had a clutch within the last 6months. Body looks mint so excited to get my hands on it.
had a K20 before some years ago. Great motors and know they are solid if looked after. On the train now to go get. Gotta love new car days :)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Congratulations bud. Think James has covered all the unique issues to the dc5. Other then that it's like any other car.

Would be interesting too see what you're opinions are coming from an e46 M3. It's a car I've always wanted but the repair bills and potential major issues put me off

Awkward Kid

E46 M3 is an awesome weapon.
I had a good one but chased a setup I couldn’t actually find.
I used it daily for almost a year and then when i stopped using it so much it developed a few issues. Spent a small fortune on putting them right and big brake kit which is a must as the standard stoppers are rubbish. Had that niggle that I was always going to be chasing the next bill. Sold for more than I paid but lost a chunk after what I’d put right. Like most cars, you want one, get it, drive and look after it. Always wanted a Teg and pre COVID I had trip back home in Yorkshire with a mate and his DC5. Through the twisty bits I couldn’t see where he went. That said oversteer is one of life’s great pleasures

IntegraDan

Advanced Member
I’ve just recently got another DC5 (previous one went 10 years ago) I really wanted an E46 M3, even went to look at a couple! Both were not in the condition I felt they were described in the adverts!
The good ones command such a premium, that was out of reach for me!
I think it’s funny how things work out for different people, I remember when the M3 was almost a natural progression from a car like the DC5!
Enjoy the DC5! They are a great car!

Awkward Kid

Thanks fella.
It’s exceeded expectations. long day traveling to get it and long drive home. Only criticism would be a longer 6th gear... but the gearing in a E46 M3 is renowned for being long. Such a solid car especially considering it’s 18yrs old.
Think it’s fair to say with older performance cars you don’t necessarily get what you pay for. If a cars been loved and used properly they tend to be solid cars. I saw some super cheap M3’s thinking I’d save a few quid and get the ‘big’ jobs done myself, I also saw some so called minters, low miles and low owners that where sheds. Ended up stretching my budget a bit to get a solid example.
Kinda the same experience with finding a good Teg. Blessed to have found one previously owned by an enthusiast. Have to say the Honda community is a hell of a lot friendlier than the beemer one. Some proper tools drive Bavarian.

Attachments

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks fella.
It’s exceeded expectations. long day traveling to get it and long drive home. Only criticism would be a longer 6th gear... but the gearing in a E46 M3 is renowned for being long. Such a solid car especially considering it’s 18yrs old.
Think it’s fair to say with older performance cars you don’t necessarily get what you pay for. If a cars been loved and used properly they tend to be solid cars. I saw some super cheap M3’s thinking I’d save a few quid and get the ‘big’ jobs done myself, I also saw some so called minters, low miles and low owners that where sheds. Ended up stretching my budget a bit to get a solid example.
Kinda the same experience with finding a good Teg. Blessed to have found one previously owned by an enthusiast. Have to say the Honda community is a hell of a lot friendlier than the beemer one. Some proper tools drive Bavarian.
nice to see you found a great example mate, just avoid the proper tools that are on the Honda scene also, some morons (but you’ll get that with any car/make/model etc).

Running costs will be far far lower, these things are really cheap to run and maintain :)

will look forward to seeing more pics and maybe a build thread soon