New user, new project

SmallTorque

Hi All,

I recently picked up a face lift DC5. I've previously owned an AP1 S2000 and Accord Type R, but this is my first Integra. It was a close decision between an EP3 Civic and the DC5 and ended up taking the plunge with the Integra.

It's a project, on the grounds that it needs a some TLC but out of the 3 I went to see it was by far the cleanest and completely rust free!

It's covered 109k miles in total, but the odometer reads a mixture of miles and Kilometers.

Jobs completed so far:
- Track rod ends.
- Delrin steering rack slider.
- Oil and Filter.
- Michelin PS4's on the front.
- Alignment.

I'll be using it as a daily + the occasional track day once it's all ready.

It looks like it needs new pads all round and the gearbox definitely requires attention. It supposedly had a replacement box in 2018, including Mfactory 5.84 final drive, Mfactory plated diff and Mfactory bearing kit, but I don't think it's been cared for at all, which is a shame.

I'll be on the hunt for a replacement box soon, or at least pick up an EP3 box and stick a helical LSD in there to get me on the way. This seems to be the most cost effective solution at the moment.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, especially when it comes to sourcing parts.

Jon.

lewis87

Advanced Member
What‘s actually wrong with the gearbox? I think I‘ve seen the car for sale with the previous owner, used it as his daily and was building a big power Impreza with a build thread on PistonHeads.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Good choice picking it over the EP3 much better base, better looking and more rare.

What's wrong with the gearbox, crunching or popping out of gear or...?

SmallTorque

lewis87 said:
What‘s actually wrong with the gearbox? I think I‘ve seen the car for sale with the previous owner, used it as his daily and was building a big power Impreza with a build thread on PistonHeads.
I would be interested to see this thread. The car's history is pretty shady!

SmallTorque

WKZ12 said:
Good choice picking it over the EP3 much better base, better looking and more rare.

What's wrong with the gearbox, crunching or popping out of gear or...?
The box feels a little bit "notchy" and when changing gear at high rpm I need to be patient. I thought I lost 5th last night, it just wouldn't go in!

I had the gearbox oil changed today using OEM Honda fluid and it feels a little bit better.

I think the 5.84 final drive is a bit to short for me and the diff is really aggressive; MFactory plated LSD.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
That could be clutch related, might be worth trying before going down the gearbox route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
SmallTorque said:
The box feels a little bit "notchy" and when changing gear at high rpm I need to be patient. I thought I lost 5th last night, it just wouldn't go in.
Sounds like the clutch mate, I had exactly the same on mine, 3rd to 4th was like that then as I‘d already booked a trackday I still went and after 4hrs on track it started on 4th to 5th before I lost all but 1st, 6th and reverse.

Get a new oem clutch in there and you‘ll be fine by the sounds of it

Ps congrats on the car choice and project

SmallTorque

carl hammond said:
Sounds like the clutch mate, I had exactly the same on mine, 3rd to 4th was like that then as I‘d already booked a trackday I still went and after 4hrs on track it started on 4th to 5th before I lost all but 1st, 6th and reverse.

Get a new oem clutch in there and you‘ll be fine by the sounds of it

Ps congrats on the car choice and project
Interesting. I'll have to investigate. Thing is, the clutch and all other gears feel fine to me.

lewis87

Advanced Member
SmallTorque said:
Interesting. I'll have to investigate. Thing is, the clutch and all other gears feel fine to me.
Is there any slack in your gear stick? I had difficulty selecting 5th but after replacing my gear linkage bushes the problem was gone. The originals had perished and some fallen out completely giving lots of free play.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
SmallTorque said:
Yeah mine didn‘t slip or anything and everything else also felt fine

Deff a complete failure is never experienced before

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Could the reverse lock-out be gone, making it tricky to locate 5th?
I test drove a car where I had issues putting it into 5th but turns out I was moving the stick too far to the right, perhaps even into the reverse gate?

SmallTorque

VtecPaul said:
Could the reverse lock-out be gone, making it tricky to locate 5th?
I test drove a car where I had issues putting it into 5th but turns out I was moving the stick too far to the right, perhaps even into the reverse gate?
I think it‘s something to do with this. If I move the shifter a bit too far to the right, it feels blocked. A little bit to the left and it‘s perfect. Gears are absolutely fine.

SmallTorque

Just an update on the box; I‘ve had the transmission oil changed and it‘s like night and day. Much better. Still not happy with the plated diff for daily driving though!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Just an update on the box; I‘ve had the transmission oil changed and it‘s like night and day. Much better. Still not happy with the plated diff for daily driving though!
If you remove the plated diff I would be interested ;-)

SmallTorque

carl hammond said:
If you remove the plated diff I would be interested ;-)
I‘m planning to change the box when this whole situation is over. I have someone who‘s first refusal as a whole, but I‘ll let you know if they pull out.

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
Welcome! I also have that feeling when I go too far right and can‘t find 5th. I‘ve just started pushing it less and it slots much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk