Not a clue

Crackfox

Advanced Member
I've had a rattle for a while that's been doing my nut in. Doing a 6m oil change today I found a loose cover over the drive shaft. It's got bolt holding it on, with a fixed 'collar' that has 2 washers in, looks a bit like exhaust gasket stuff.

It looks like the gasket washer stuff has.worn, and is making it loose. But because its.housed in a fixed collar thing the bolt is tight bit it still moves. Hard to explain so here's a pic of the offending item. Anyone any ideas what to do about it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Exhaust heat shield is a common cause of rattle on these cars.
Is that exhaust shield then? Looks like it's going over the driveshaft. Hard to get a good look laid on the deck to be fair.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Marc is right, it's a heat shield protecting the driveshaft from exhaust manifold heat. The mesh-type collars you refer to are to minimise vibration noise and would probably benefit from replacing (will be pennies from Honda and will then outlast the car).
You could add some solid washers for packing but if the guard is rigid mounted the extra vibrations could result in the guard cracking. I think some people have removed them completely.

HTH :)

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Marc is right, it's a heat shield protecting the driveshaft from exhaust manifold heat. The mesh-type collars you refer to are to minimise vibration noise and would probably benefit from replacing (will be pennies from Honda and will then outlast the car).
You could add some solid washers for packing but if the guard is rigid mounted the extra vibrations could result in the guard cracking. I think some people have removed them completely.

HTH :)
Cheers. The washers dont look like they can be replaced to be as the collar they are inside is moulded around the shield.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Yes just whip it off bud, that's what I did with mine and it was fine. Took it to an exhaust place, took them 10 minutes under a ramp.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Yes just whip it off bud, that's what I did with mine and it was fine. Took it to an exhaust place, took them 10 minutes under a ramp.
I've got it off. Only took a couple of mins. I'll see what I can do to fix it. I'm assuming on a car that was built with weight un mind they didn't add it for now reason so best find a way to get it back on without the rattle. Might cut the collars out and use some silicon washers.

ste01

Advanced Member
Crush the mesh things in a vice and bolt it back on 👍 I've found even brand new ones can rattle and need a little adjustment to stay tight

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Just thought I'd update this. I firmed up the washer things with some silicone washers. They should easily take the head and out last the car. Easy to replace if not.

I havent had change to re-fit it yet as I'm parked in the gravel until the wifes car moves again.