OEM number plate surround looking dull? Make it look new!

larz

Advanced Member
I said i'd tackle this at the weekend. It's my first DIY job on the teg other than changing the valve caps :D

I hope it helps.

You will need:

1. a decent tool set with phillips screwdrivers and a 10mm socket set.
2. Halfrauds Plastic Bumper Paint. (black)
3. this tutorial :D

--------------------------------

1. Here's a pic of the plate surround before i got started. There are white bits on it from sun fade and wax build up. as you can see
[attachment=5]P1060757.JPG[/attachment]

2. Use a size 10 socket to take the central bolt out. It's a long one with a washer and a bolt at the back. NOTE: These can be hard to get at so before you get started make sure you can reach in to the back of that bolt to see if you can put them back on when the time comes. if you can't reach them i would recommend having access to a lift, or even taking the bumper off.
[attachment=4]P1060760.JPG[/attachment]

3. Here you see the washer and nut that are located awkwardly on the inside of the bumper.
[attachment=3]P1060762.JPG[/attachment]

4. Here's the next size 10 bolt to take out. there are two of them which hold the number plate surround steady.
[attachment=2]P1060763.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]P1060765.JPG[/attachment]

5. Here's what the car looks like without the number plate surround... DROOL, apart from that ugly hole. I'm thinking of getting it filled and switching to sticky plates.
[attachment=0]P1060766.JPG[/attachment]

Splitting this into 2 posts cuz of that stupid 6 attachment rule :s

larz

Advanced Member
Re: OEM number plate surround looking dull?

[attachment=5]P1060776.JPG[/attachment]

6. Grab your Plastic bumper spray paint (Ensure the surround is clean and dry)
[attachment=4]P1060767.JPG[/attachment]

7. Spray about 10 inches away from the surround. You instantly see results. Don't overspray, don't rush it with the second coat. Allow to dry and make sure nothing touches the paint while it's drying. Allow 15mins to dry between coats... 3 coats should do it nicely...
[attachment=3]P1060768.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]P1060771.JPG[/attachment]

8. Allow to dry fully, put the surround and plate back on, et voila:
[attachment=1]P1060829.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]P1060830.JPG[/attachment]

I'm delighted with the results... I'd recommend this as a first DIY job to anyone as the skill level involved is minimal. Just don't be too generous with the paint while painting to avoid drips and blotches...

I had to split the post halfway through cuz i'm only allowed 6 attachments :xtsk:

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
Re: OEM number plate surround looking dull?

would not have thought of this either Lar...fair play. nice bit of flexing of your DIY muscles there!

Keep it up!

larz

Advanced Member
nope just gave it a good clean... It has its colour from the original plastic... these things don't get painted, they may get some treatment but that wears off over time. Just give it a clean, let it dry fully and spray to your heart's content... it came out great!

dan_dc5

Advanced Member
Did this at the weekend mate, along with the wing mirror bases. Looks miles better than the light grey colour they were!

larz

Advanced Member
yeah it was so easy...

for those who can't be bothered with this might i recommend autoglym products to get the black back in your plastics. Doesn't look as well as a spray though..

mikegsi

Staff member
Good job! A sticky plate in the middle would cover the hole without it needing to be filled though.

Another option if you like the oem look would be to wrap the mount in a vinyl wrap of some sort, possibly carbon effect ;)