OEM speaker wiring

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hi all,

does anyone know what the oem speaker wire connectors are shaped like, as in are they spade connectors etc?

also, where is best to hide the crossovers?

any wiring / install guides on here?

i have a good set of components and tweeters that i could put in, but would like to use OEM wiring as i can not be arsed doing a full install after the mammoth effort it took in my ep3!!!!!

cheers

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Right I've looked into this properly, and when you remove the tweeters etc. The oem speakers have clips on the end, that then connect to the oem wiring..

Does anyone know where I can get adapters that plug into the clips on the oem wiring, I can then use my aftermarket speakers without splicing into the oem wiring!

There are a bit more details on the link I posted above....

Cheers

-james-

It sounds like you need these Metra 72-7800, but I can't find any listed in the UK... These little electrical things usually arrive OK from far away though.
Edit - Sorry, I think they're the same as the Accord ones you found already.
Or just go old school connector block and insulation tape!

Rob R

Advanced Member
Would it not be easier just to chop the oem block off and use spade connectors onto the new speakers? Probably get a better connection that way as well

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
i dont want to do any chopping / wiring, as i will be returning everything to standard when selling the car...

so just wondered if anyone had used any of these before?

or preferably, had any pics of the connectors on the oem wiring, which i could then check against the ones in the links above?

Rob R

Advanced Member
How much are the speakers worth that you're fitting? Weighing up cost vs time is it really worth faffing about taking door cards off to change them for when you sell?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
yeah im fully aware of that, they are More Dotech Ovation 5's a component set worth around £300, so thats what im doing the research to make the job easier!

anyway, ive ordered the ebay sets ive found, so shall update in the next week or so

subtronics

Advanced Member
There is cable with sockets behind the grills, but if your spending money on decent speakers, you might as well run some new decent cable to them. It doesn't take much, and be well worth it, you can leave your old speaker cable in place. The Focal speakers I installed had wires already soldered onto the tweets, and any other speakers sets I have bought in the past have to. :)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
How is the wiring to the tweeters? Straight from the back of the headunit? My right tweeter doesn't work.

subtronics

Advanced Member
You might find that they both don't work. Unless you have put speakers in there? My prefacelift didn't come with tweeters.