Oil catch tank

Trung

Advanced Member
I would like to know as well.
All I've found out is this
Keep your intake manifold oil and carbon deposit build up free with this catch can by Vision.

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
I've got one fitted to my DC5. Basically it's really for looks cause these cans are meant for race cars. When an engine blows up they generally throw oil everywhere, and out the breather pipe is a good place for it. Fitting a catch can will catch all this oil without it either being vented to air or back through the intake pipe. On a road car it generally would never really be any practical use and is more for show.
:)
Chris @ FP HQ

JT

You know how when you remove your air intake and if you look into the piping, there is some oil? Is that ok for the engine when this stuff from the blow-by gets routed back into the engine?

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
Yeah that's what the breather pipe-into-air intake does. I believe it's set like this so that any gasses get re-burnt through the engine and out the exhaust system. This is so that emissions from the car are kept down. I'm not a legal expert but I think it's a legal requirement in some countries. Hence they dont fit venting-to-air breather filters here which many people fitting aftermarket kits to their car do. In the UK I think it's fine to vent to air using a breather filter for the MOT and other legal requirements but I believe a car manufacturer cannot sell a brand new car with this kinda set up.
...might be wrong though :)
Chris