Oil on wheel?

Lemons

Advanced Member
Hi,

So after the clutch change, where the drive shafts were seized and pressed out, I have noticed some oil on the passenger side front wheel. The car drives fine and it's only a very small amount leaking.

Anyone have any ideas where to start looking CV boot, brake fluid?

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

20Drift

Members
Staff member
That is bizarre, because I did wheel bearing and driveshaft last weekend and haven’t driven the car really since. Went out on Friday and noticed the same thing.

I had a look all over the shop but couldn’t find a leak, so can only think it’s WD40 or penetrating fluid that was trapped and worked its way out when I drove the car. Seems to have travelled on the back face of the wheel

Lemons

Advanced Member
That is bizarre, because I did wheel bearing and driveshaft last weekend and haven’t driven the car really since. Went out on Friday and noticed the same thing.

I had a look all over the shop but couldn’t find a leak, so can only think it’s WD40 or penetrating fluid that was trapped and worked its way out when I drove the car. Seems to have travelled on the back face of the wheel
Thanks for the reply, slightly reassuring.

I was thinking the same, I know they soaked the drive shaft for a while. I will clean the wheel again and keep an eye on it.

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Thanks for the reply, slightly reassuring.

I was thinking the same, I know they soaked the drive shaft for a while. I will clean the wheel again and keep an eye on it.
I had it on a ramp on Friday which is when I noticed it. I had a proper good look around but all hoses and that were dry. Even checked the CV boots and they were also dry around the lip so no idea where it’s come from, but can’t be important!

Lemons

Advanced Member
I had it on a ramp on Friday which is when I noticed it. I had a proper good look around but all hoses and that were dry. Even checked the CV boots and they were also dry around the lip so no idea where it’s come from, but can’t be important!
Ha ha

I have done nearly 300 miles of A/B roads bedding in the clutch.

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Ha ha

I have done nearly 300 miles of A/B roads bedding in the clutch.
I’m at track at the moment and it’s started doing it more pronounced, going to have a mosey at lunch. This what you’re seeing?

3FCCBE7F-F166-481D-B401-D922A93A325E.jpeg

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Is this 100% oil and not grease as if this is possibly not the above the only other thing I can think of would be oil leak somewhere and it's spraying out/onto the wheel when in motion, but then you'd see more under the car somewhere even if a small amount running along something (if that makes sense)

I would be inclined to say if it's quite gloopy and not the likes of engine oil then more than likely grease from a bearing or boot

Lemons

Advanced Member
Is this 100% oil and not grease as if this is possibly not the above the only other thing I can think of would be oil leak somewhere and it's spraying out/onto the wheel when in motion, but then you'd see more under the car somewhere even if a small amount running along something (if that makes sense)

I would be inclined to say if it's quite gloopy and not the likes of engine oil then more than likely grease from a bearing or boot
Probably CV grease, bit of a coincidence we both have had the shafts out. Typical when working on older cars. I will probably replace the CV boots for the drive shafts to then go :D

20Drift

Members
Staff member
I think it might be copper grease from the splines or something... It’s coming from the face between the wheel and disk

it’s looking bad here because I’ve been absolutely caning the poor thing all day but it does seem like it’s slowly stopping. Going to give her a wash in a couple of days and see if any more comes out

Attachments

20Drift

Members
Staff member
I also hope it’s not a wheel bearing as I literally just did it on that side!

20Drift

Members
Staff member
How did the track day go?
Yeah really good. Had to play around with tyre pressures a bit because of the speed you take corners at Thruxton and the majority of it is turning right, but the car felt so much better with the thicker ARB and uprated springs on the coilovers. She didn't miss a beat but was very thirsty - did about 40L of fuel and around 60 laps. All good fun!

Good mixture of cars there too, all the way from Clio 182's, C1 Cup cars up to Ginetta's, M2/4's, 911's and a McLaren. Was keeping up with the M2's and 911's through the corners but had to move out the way on the straights as they were pulling like trains past 100mph