On Track FAQ

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Hi all,

I've managed to convince Simon Mason to take some of his spare time to give us some of his professional advise on race circuit driving. (simon, thanks)
If you've any questions about circuit driving then you are welcome to post them here. I'd appreicate if people can keep their questions sensible and clear. I've already added a few common questions to the FAQ that I always want to know.

Needless to say, I also asked him to offer a special price for coaching members of the DC5 owners forum. :wink: For all those who don't know about Simon, here is his website:

http://www.simonmason.com

or ask a few fellow member on the board who have been coached by Simon.

here you go:

On Track FAQ
(S: Simon)
Q: I want to know what's the character of DC5 like on circuit compared to the other FWD cars?
S: The DC5 is simply the best out of the box FWD car you can buy anywhere. It understeers less, responds to driver input more efficiently and best off all sounds the dogs and thats before you start doing anything to it.

Q: I never been on track before, should I go to an airfield day instead of a circuit?
S: Maybe!! Airfields are very easy and forgiving so do no harm but only do one or two days on an airfield before the bad habbits start to role in. Airfields eat tyres and they also chuck up stones which damage your body work so be prepared for that.

Q: Do I need to get the track insurance or my insurance company will cover it on trackdays?
S: No, on track your car is regarded as being used off the public highway and therefore not covered by your normal road insurance policy accept in a very few policies. But so long as you use a reputable established track day company and drive common sense accidents are very very rare.

Q: Do I need to modify my car before I can take it on track? I'm a bit worry as my car is standard and can't take my bash on track.
S: A standard DC5 is a cracking car on track. All you need do is make sure your brakes are in good condition, tyres have reasonable tread (pump them up an extra 6psi or so to reduce wear) and check your fluid levels. Any mods you make to the car only make it feel or sound more the part, power gains and suspension upgrades are nothing without the knowledge to use them.

Q: I'm a novice/intermidate track driver, I want to know what modification can make most out of the car for track driving?
S: Number one good performance brake pads. Number two better dampers and springs, number three better tyres. Engine upgrades are the last thing for any serious driver.

Q: I'm a novice, do I need to book an instructor session, does it help?
S: Does it ever! Cars are controlled by physics not how brave or how sticky your tyres are. The more you understand about what makes your car "tick" the more you can exploit it. Like anything the earlier you start learning the better you get. Every single top driver in motor racing had coaching when they started thats why such young drivers can be so fast.

Q: Is there any particular techique that I can use on the DC5 to go faster?
S: The DC5 is of course FWD so to be quick you have to be very very smooth, more so than in a RWD car. The front wheels are doing twice as much work so need to be nursed into working not ordered.

Duncs

down through the box or from whatever gear straight to the one you want for the corner,
ie 5th to 2nd
or 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd
(if it is a second gear corner!)

T666YPR

Duncs,I'm guessing you mean,Heel&Toeing to skip some gears and keeping the car balanced for the approaching corner :?:

jonster

Advanced Member
I tended to engine brake more in the past until my first venture with an instructor talked me out of it.

Jon

Duncs

Si,
sort of, i always go down the gears H &T each gear, (if i remember and am concentrating) but i was with jon and he was instructed to use the brakes more and set yourself for the bend and go straight into the gear you want for the bend, ie 2nd gear bend go from say 5th to 2nd, using brakes and no downshifting of gears,
does that make sense?

SimonM

Watch any incar footage of any decent driver from touring cars, infact any of Franz's or Mark's vids are the same on this factor and you will see they ALWAYS go down through each gear in turn. This way they can control which gear they end up in and its easier to judge speed to the gear. If you watch the Stuck Nurburgring video you will see he also goes through each gear despite awsome brakes although his gearbox is a bit trick but the principal is the same.

In otherwords 5th , then 4th, then 3rd its exceptionaly rare that you need to jump even one gear and then only in a race car with huge grip and mega brakes.

Hope this helps

gonzo

Advanced Member
SimonM said:
Watch any incar footage of any decent driver from touring cars, infact any of Franz's or Mark's vids are the same on this factor and you will see they ALWAYS go down through each gear in turn. This way they can control which gear they end up in and its easier to judge speed to the gear. If you watch the Stuck Nurburgring video you will see he also goes through each gear despite awsome brakes although his gearbox is a bit trick but the principal is the same.

In otherwords 5th , then 4th, then 3rd its exceptionaly rare that you need to jump even one gear and then only in a race car with huge grip and mega brakes.

Hope this helps
Very good advice -Thanks!!! - Just what I was told by David Walton today! Now need to go practice lots.

How much do you charge for coaching Simon?! May need some lessons!! :lol:

20Drift

Members
Staff member
hi gonzo

sorry, i forgot to mention the price in my first post. :oops:

the DC5 forum members can get a special discount for £200 a day coaching from Simon, which is £100 less than the normal price.

It can be shared with up to 2 people (100 each).

cheers

gonzo

Advanced Member
andre said:
hi gonzo

sorry, i forgot to mention the price in my first post. :oops:

the DC5 forum members can get a special discount for £200 a day coaching from Simon, which is £100 less than the normal price.

It can be shared with up to 2 people (100 each).

cheers
Cheers Andre!

Any particular tracks? Or which ever track day we go to?

Livvy

Advanced Member
I'm a female, never done any track driving or anything like it and would like to be taught how to control a car properly. Would it be a watse of time having coaching from Simon? Should i be looking else where to start with?

T666YPR

Livvy said:
Would it be a watse of time having coaching from Simon?
No way.Simon is probably the best guy you can learn from.Won't call a spade by any other name :)

if you need guidance,he's the man 8)

jonster

Advanced Member
I'm well confused now. I always changed down the gears in sequence before and my first instructor venture told me otherwise. I've always felt happier changing down in sequence but I was just trusting this guy's experience.

Jon

SimonM

Hi Jonster. Hate to say this but never assume because someone is an instructor they actually have a clue about driving. Becoming an instructor is relatively easy and actually requires no training except at Silverstone. Basicaly instructors start off to staff corporate days and for that the schools main concern is they must be "nice people" who happen to have done a few races.

Hi Livvy, I can teach you to understand performance driving on track which ultimately has the same implications for safer road driving but it really doesnt bother me how much you know about driving already. Infact the less you have done the better because you will probably learn faster. So if I can be any help just ask anytime.

Gonzo pleased to hear you had some advise or instruction from someone like Dave Walton he's a top bloke (and a damn fine drinker). I can go to any circuit although if I have to travel a long distance, like more than an hour from Northampton I would have to ask for fuel costs, but my road car is a diesel :wink:

gonzo

Advanced Member
SimonM said:
Gonzo pleased to hear you had some advise or instruction from someone like Dave Walton he's a top bloke (and a d*mn fine drinker). I can go to any circuit although if I have to travel a long distance, like more than an hour from Northampton I would have to ask for fuel costs, but my road car is a diesel :wink:
Hi Simon...

Will have to see about booking you for some lessons!!

Would you recommend an airfield circuit or a full track? I teach Joe and Jaime Walton and get invited to Bruntingthorpe by Matt so could possibly blag an evening on there if you could do an evening session? How much would you charge for a few hours tuition?

Cheers!

Steve

mikegsi

Staff member
i take it double de-clutching is out of the question then, and ten to two with a push-pull momentum :wink: dont cross your hands!!!

still a track 'virgin' but booked up for july, gonna try and learn as i go, but any more pointers are thankfully accepted :wink:

T666YPR

First thing I was told by Simon on my first lesson was hook my thumbs over the spokes at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

Gives you all the control and movement you need for on track 8)

gregb

Advanced Member
on the tyre inflation(6 psi)over normal for a track session,i was advised today by a tyre fitter to go about(6 psi) under for better handling/performance.
do you advise to go over just to prevent/minimise tyre wear or would the car benefit from it too?
@34 psi is what i keep mine at.

gregb

Advanced Member
well i had it out today and on the first run(wet)it spun the back,the other dc5 out at the time was gauging 29 psi and reccomended it maybe next time.
can i just say what a car!!best mileage i`ve put on it :wink: