Opinions on Koni shocks and Eibach springs

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Guys,

Im thinking of changing my suspension setup - its stock at the moment and I'm continually being ridiculed for my DC5s monster truck looks.

Im thinking of running with Koni shocks and Eibach springs. I know a couple of you guys (well... Franz and UW) are running the TEIN HAs, but I cant justify that amount of ££££! A few of you also have the Spoon progressives, but I feel that they dont cut it on our crappy UK roads - they're still hard. I only do a handful of track-days a year.

Whats everyones thoughts on this setup?

Cheers,

Trung

Advanced Member
The problem with KONI shocks is that it uses some part of your stock shock (cant remember which one) but once modded you cannot use your stock suspension again unless you buy a new set.
Also you cannot adjust height with KONIs. Not as flexible im afraid.

I'll be getting K-Sport coilovers soon. Japanese division of D2 Racing and are highly rated on ClubRSX and throughout Asia.

TGMSport

Members
koni shox/eibach springs

Hi scary

we have already talked about the eibach springs, koni dampers are as follows
8610-1415 sport front top adjustable this is an insert tube to be fitted to your original damper body.
8010 1130 sport top adjustable rear unit is complete replacement, i have the prices available if you need them

regards Tom @ TGM

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Oh... thanks Trung.

Tom... I thought that you didnt come on this site?! Thanks for the advice... I'll probably pop round for chat and stuff once I get a bit more cash together. I just fitted a Skunk2 cat-back and a GruppeM ram charger the other week.

Thanks guys...

Mark

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Scary, don't completely rule out the Spoon progressives. I'm not a track junkie (cos I can't afford it at the moment) and my DC5 is my daily driver. I don't find the Spoons any harsher than stock - in fact at city speeds they are looser but tighten up nicely as they get leant on. Obviously they're not going to threaten the capabilities of coilovers but are a decent half-way step... and they're affordable!

jonster

Advanced Member
I'm totally happy with my Spoon progressives. On the track I find they hold up well and it's just the limit of my tyres that is the only problem. Road hardness is more acceptable than the stocks too. This might all change if I talk myself in to half slicks sometime.

Jon

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Hmmm.... thanks guys.

So... can I get away with just the Spoon springs without having to chop any of the stock suspension? Will I need anything else... my shocks and the rest of the suspension are in good working order. And ordering...? Taka Kaira (£145) or Spoon Europe (£218)? This may look obvious, but theres import duty and P+P to go on the TK price - out of intrest, anyone know how much this would roughly be?!?!

Ta!

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hi scary,

If you go with the Spoon progressives, no further mods are required (ie, stock shocks). Can't help with price comparisons I'm afraid.

jonster

Advanced Member
Howdy Scary,

Spoon progressives cost me just under £200 when I got them from Taka. I originally orded them via Barwell via Spoon Europe and it took months of chasing to receive nothing. I ordered from Taka and they came within a week.

Don't forget the fitting costs will eat in to your budget too. I probably paid through the nose using Barwell but they do a good job.

Jon

Duckhunter

Alright Scarry!

Just as a comparison I had Tom fit my Eibach springs last week and my verdict although I haven't tried the Spoons is that they are a vast improvement on stock.

My main concern as I don't use my car on track was the really hard and bumpy ride that was a little too much sometimes. At high revs on UK roads the Car felt like it was going all over the place. The Eibachs have taken the edge of that and are really good, better than stock round the bends. The car feels much more responsive with greater control. They only cost £125 + VAT and a bit of labour.

Well worth it though :D

TYPER

Hi Guys

I was wondering How much did the springs lower your car? Where i live there are a lot of road "bumps" and was constantly having to go sideways over bumps with my old car, a real pain in the ass. I am looking at beefing up the suspension but do not want to lower the car to much.
Jonster i am leaning towards the Spoon springs so would appreciate any help you can give

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi TypeR,

Both Eibach or Spoon are pretty good. I went for Spoon because they deal with just Hondas and hence have produced a spring specifically for the DC5 Type-R. I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I think the Spoons my be a tad lower. I'm sure Trung knows for sure about this.

Even with the Spoon's better ride I still avoid pot-holes in the road where possible. I some times wonder if I'm going to get pulled by the police for weaving around the road to avoid things. Must look like I've had a few.

I paid a lot more to have mine fitted by Barwell. I didn't know about Tom's at the time. He's very reasonable. All future work will be heading his way for sure.

Jon

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
I had Spoon springs on mine and yes they do drop the car by about 25mm and yes you do need to slow right down for bumps or take them sideways (depending on speed bump) ... I live in London and its speed bump hell down here... :evil:

But they are very nice springs and defo worth the upgrade...

UW

TYPER

Hi

thanks a lot guys, 25 mm is not to much less than an inch (unless my math is wrong) i think i will try the spoon springs.
Also i was wondering any of you guys buy the strut bars and lower arm bars? If so what difference did it make for your handling?