Optimal wheel size for handling

Lemons

Advanced Member
Hi,

New to the forum.

There is a lot of information on which wheels look the best, but what is the best wheel size for performance?

Would you go smaller and lighter thinking about unsprung weight, or bigger / wider hoping to achieve more grip?

Thanks
Mike

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I think it depends on the use of the car. Whether you're tracking a car or if its just for road use. Also depends on what track you would be visiting.

As a general rule, 17x8 square is normally sufficient (TGM recommend this too). If you're doing UK tracks, I found they have a fair few tight corners and a reversed stagger set up works well and helps turn in. I run 245 tyre on the front and 225 on the rear and found my car understeers a lot less than before.

Then also the wheels weight is also a deciding factor, but these wheels are generally pricey.

lewis87

Advanced Member
I've been thinking about this lately and have thought about a smaller set of Team Dynamics or similar but I don't think I've seen a DC5 with smaller diameter wheels before?

I had an MX5 with a set of very light 14 inch BBS and a wider set of 15 inch BBS and the difference was very noticeable on the smaller wheel, the car just felt more nimble and a better drive.

Lemons

Advanced Member
lewis87 said:
I've been thinking about this lately and have thought about a smaller set of Team Dynamics or similar but I don't think I've seen a DC5 with smaller diameter wheels before?

I had an MX5 with a set of very light 14 inch BBS and a wider set of 15 inch BBS and the difference was very noticeable on the smaller wheel, the car just felt more nimble and a better drive.
Agreed, I was thinking this from my DC2 days.

Does anyone know the wheel specs of the Team Dynamics BTCC Integra?

Lemons

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I think it depends on the use of the car. Whether you're tracking a car or if its just for road use. Also depends on what track you would be visiting.

As a general rule, 17x8 square is normally sufficient (TGM recommend this too). If you're doing UK tracks, I found they have a fair few tight corners and a reversed stagger set up works well and helps turn in. I run 245 tyre on the front and 225 on the rear and found my car understeers a lot less than before.

Then also the wheels weight is also a deciding factor, but these wheels are generally pricey.
Thanks, this is useful.

Is 17x8 an easy fit without arch work?

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
24Lemons said:
Thanks, this is useful.

I‘d like to know this too. Don‘t want arch work at all - much rather keep it standard with the best choice of wheels that fit.

lewis87

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
You've got to clear the brakes remember
I did think about this but some 15 and 16 inch wheels have enough clearance with the right offset.

I'm sure a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 will fit in 16" or even 15". Would be much lighter but it might look a bit odd though with a large arch gap.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
24Lemons said:
Thanks, this is useful.

VtecPaul said:
I‘d like to know this too. Don‘t want arch work at all - much rather keep it standard with the best choice of wheels that fit.
This has been covered a fair few times in wheels threads on here. It purely depends on the the offset of the wheels. The front arches have plenty of room (im running 17x9 et 37 on the front).

For the rears if the offset is too low then you run the risk of catching the arches. Without rolling arches a 17x8 et 45-50 would be ideal (with about -1 to -1.5deg of camber)

Lemons

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
This has been covered a fair few times in wheels threads on here. It purely depends on the the offset of the wheels. The front arches have plenty of room (im running 17x9 et 37 on the front).

For the rears if the offset is too low then you run the risk of catching the arches. Without rolling arches a 17x8 et 45-50 would be ideal (with about -1 to -1.5deg of camber)
Thanks, much appreciated!

I have done plenty of searching, but with plenty of searching on the Internet = mixed opinions and the answer becomes clouded.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
24Lemons said:
Thanks, much appreciated!

I have done plenty of searching, but with plenty of searching on the Internet = mixed opinions and the answer becomes clouded.
Ditto - too many opinions and not enough actual data or evidence to support the options.

I did however find a very useful wheel thread for most manufacturers and models on DC5s. May be of use so linking it again in here too.

https://www.redliners.ru/talk/viewtopic.php?t=95116

Reggie91

Advanced Member
VtecPaul said:
Ditto - too many opinions and not enough actual data or evidence to support the options.

I did however find a very useful wheel thread for most manufacturers and models on DC5s. May be of use so linking it again in here too.

https://www.redliners.ru/talk/viewtopic.php?t=95116
Problem with that is some of those are RSX's, which have different arms, hubs etc so can afford to have a lower offset wheel. Think the difference is around 20mm vs the DC5r.

I think most threads regarding wheel size has been consistent, especially when coming to 17x8 wheels. An offset between et45-50 is what is considered reasonable with no arch work.

If you use that as a guide and the link below, it should be everything you need when deciding on the spec of any wheel.
https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Torque GT

Parts Trader
I can confirm that 17x8 ET45-50 is bolt-on, providing you pick a suitable tyres size. We've supplied a fitted a few different brands of wheel in this size range and this size is trouble free with stock suspension, but will probably require a small degree of camber if you're lowered.