Optimax

phil_444

Advanced Member
I have read a few different things about using optimax in the Integra what are everyones views? Do you use it? Is it ok? Are there any reasons why not to use it? Is super plus better?

:?: :?: :?:

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Phil,

As the DC5 is an NA car the issue of pre-detonation is not as prolific as in Turbocharged cars. I have run mine on supermarket 97 RON for over 1 year with no worries.

T666YPR

Living in the middle of nowhere like I do;Optimax stations are miles away.Seeing as its only 3/4 mile to my BP Ultimate station I chuck that in,and car seems fine.Can't offer an opinion to Optimax as have only topped up with it twice when out 'n' about so have never had a full tank of it.

MindMorgue

Guess I can't break the Impreza habit, but my DC5 has only had Optimax for the few weeks I've owned it, no problems so far, but I have nothing else to compare it against.

craigiusmaximus

I use optimax in my EP3 and i cant fault it when i first got the car the dealer had put unleaded in so i ran all that out and and started using optimax and as i said i cant fault it. :D I do feel the responsiveness of the throttle was improved with the use of optimax :D

StuMcGrath

Advanced Member
think with most jap imports as long as u are running super 97 RON+ then it will be fine...

I don't think there is much difference between optimax & Bp Ultimate ...

I use Ultimate (in my FTO) due to passing the BP going to work where as the shell garage I have to make a detour for and it runs well on it. (not as well as a DC5 will run on it though :cry: )

stu.

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
I have read various posts in the past ranging from 'Don't use anything else, you'll blow up your engine...' to 'Don't do it, use something else or you'll blow up your engine...' I agree with Rich - If you can pay supermarket prices without any ill consequences (as we have and do) then why pay top dollar for Optimax. On the other hand, the Hondata reflash apparently allows you to run even cheaper on standard 95RON unleaded :p

ps2london

Advanced Member
when i do trackday. hard to find Shell around the track.

i don't really mind.... i use normal 95 on track without any problem.

but ofcouse is better use optimax if possible....

those Racing Fuel inside the track are 1 pound per lites :shock:

Franz

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Opt. or BP Ut. plus a lash of octane boost for me :D I know I know .. the car doesn't need it but I feel better about the car running on 100 ron :roll: ... and if the car is happy then I am :D

UW

dan the man

Advanced Member
always found optimax to add zing in the cars stride personally, and in one of the evo issues they put cameras down the spark plug holes before and after. BEFORE.loads of tar on the valves etc,
AFTER. valves clean as a whistle and spangly!

all in gear times were up on all cars tested too. mcoupe, xjr, ctr, + other
so as fuel can swirl correctly in to chamber then it can mix good and therefore burn as it should. more bang per spray equals better mpg overall??as working more efficiently etc..

bp looks like same stuff to me. ( and both of them are cheaper then super around here) so theres my two peneth.
dan :)

phil_444

Advanced Member
Looks like my bad boy will be running on Optimax once it arrives then. Only used Optimax in my Zetec-S and knew the difference, also got a special optimax shell plus points card cuz i used it so much.

Cheers for the feedback fellas.

Erm

Advanced Member
yeh i use optimax but thats cuz i got a shell station just up the road

the car dont feel different the times i've used BP ultimate

think its just in ya head oh i used optimax my car will be faster :p

dan the man

Advanced Member
All i can say is that every car ive had feels better on optimax. Im sure i can tell when nomal stuff is in as not quite as peppy or zingy. Mate with a crx swears buy it too. Worth it for the clean valves i think neway! dan

SiKBoY

Advanced Member
Hmm thought I'd contibute to the whole Optimax / Ultimate debate.

If you live in the North West your Ultimate is usually from Stanlow (Shell) and occasionally from MFT (Total).

You see BP or Shell or whoever have vehicles based in other fuel companies terminals for logistic reasons. So you see BP's fuel is not always made by BP etc etc.

truffs

no, what i have tried though is optimax with a bottle of SDP octane which pushes to 102 ron and is very sweet not only in performance but MPG as well. Now get 250 miles out of a tank which is a bit better than 210miles :D