Paintwork Problems...

yn08_teg

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help me with either of the below.

The first one is a bizarre thing where it looks like an insect has penetrated the paintwork and then spiderwebbed out. I fear that the only way to fix this is to sand down and respray it. I just wondered if anyone had come across this before?

The second are the red and grey marks all on the paintwork. I keep on top of my car with the cleaning and use the autoglym rapid detailer but these marks keep appearing and won't budge. I don't have a DA so does anyone have any advice on how to go about tackling these?

Kind RegardsIMG-20180708-WA0001.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0000.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0002.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0004.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0003.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0005.jpg

Britz

Advanced Member
The spider webbing kinda looks like water has penetrated in to the lacquer in which case paint would be your only option. Have you tried using a clay bar to clean the red and grey marks off?

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Looks to me like the bug guts has eaten into the clear coat. A known solution for this which may sound drastic, is to wetsand the area (say 2500, 3000) and then compound and polish up. Although your be best showing your local bodyshop I guess.

yn08_teg

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a clay bar on order so that is something I'm looking into. I don't know if Meguiars ultimate compound would be worth a shot...? I think it must be contamination from nearby trees or pollen - something along those lines.

With the spider webbing I will give the wet sanding a go, if it goes wrong I can always take it to a body shop anyway I guess.

It's so frustrating leaving the car parked all day knowing the paintwork is taking a hammering.

Another option with the red marks is to find a detailer with a DA and ask them to have a go. I just want to get to the source of the problem haha.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a clay bar on order so that is something I'm looking into. I don't know if Meguiars ultimate compound would be worth a shot...? I think it must be contamination from nearby trees or pollen - something along those lines.

With the spider webbing I will give the wet sanding a go, if it goes wrong I can always take it to a body shop anyway I guess.

It's so frustrating leaving the car parked all day knowing the paintwork is taking a hammering.

Another option with the red marks is to find a detailer with a DA and ask them to have a go. I just want to get to the source of the problem haha.
Where are you based?

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm based in Surrey
No problem mate.

That's ages away from me haha, I was going to offer my help lol. I'm sure someone will be able to have a look mate

Cam

Advanced Member
I sometimes find the marks in the last three pics around mine (CW as well), I just use a bit of Meguiars deep compound and it disappears... then you notice it looks strange with small polished areas so end up doing the full panel. ;) A wax should prevent it being too stubborn next time so that a routine wash removes it.

The spider-web effect happened on my last Civic's polished wheel rims, like said above it's water beneath the lacquer...

yn08_teg

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I will be applying a good wax / sealant before the autumn sets in to hopefully offer some protection.

With regards to the water penetration, I guess a body shop is going to be the best fix for that. I do also have some small chips in the paintwork where a little surface rust is creeping in. Attacking it with an angle grinder is certainly not necessary but what's the best way to clear the surface (some kind of rust remover perhaps) then applying some sort of protection followed by touch up basecoat and clearcoat...?

MikeH89

See how you get on with the above suggestions, but the red marks may actually be fallout contamination. Try using a fallout remover to dissolve it as you may find it is iron debris, there is lots of them on the market but here are some examples...

Autoglym Magma
Poorboys Iron Remover
CarPro Iron-X
ValetPro Dragons Breath

Autoglym should be readily available in your local shops where as the others may be easier to source online, they all do very similar and they all smell bad so be prepared. If you have never treated the car with iron remover before you'll likely be astonished at how much is removed.

yn08_teg

Thanks for those suggestions. I have recently noticed that the paintwork on my bonnet is looking rather tired and sort of greying a little - just like there is an underlying dirt/grime layer. I went over it with some Meguiars quick wax yesterday but to no avail. I was wondering if either some ultimate compound or a clay bar would help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sometimes I hate owning a white car!!

Ta

Cam

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
I have recently noticed that the paintwork on my bonnet is looking rather tired and sort of greying a little - just like there is an underlying dirt/grime layer. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Wash, clay, ultimate compound, then wax... should restore it's championship white-ness. xthumbup

Mike9000

Advanced Member
Cam said:
Wash, clay, ultimate compound, then wax... should restore it's championship white-ness. xthumbup
Spent the last month doing this on the odd evening whilst the car is off the road. Started with a foam, wash, tardis, magma, Clay then wax in the summer, then come November wash, Clay, ultimate compound, ultimate polish (these two were hard work by hand!), Victoria wax lite cleanse then Victoria wax concourse. Just the bumpers and boot lid left to do.

yn08_teg

I'll give that a try. I have never used ultimate compound before but I'll apply it by hand in small sections at a time and see how I get on.

Another thing that I'm finding are these grey lines on the car quite a lot and they are super difficult to get off. I have no idea what is causing them either. Has anyone else found these?

Attachments

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Applying Ultimate Compound by hand will be difficult and won't display good results. I'd invest in a DAS 6 Pro dual action polisher as it will cut the paint better but not too harsh and will help bring the colour out better too.

ste01

Advanced Member
Just mask off the lights and windows, bin bags over the wheels and rattle can the car! :)

yn08_teg

Crazylegs said:
Applying Ultimate Compound by hand will be difficult and won't display good results. I'd invest in a DAS 6 Pro dual action polisher as it will cut the paint better but not too harsh and will help bring the colour out better too.
Interesting point there... I've never used ultimate compound so would have to take your word for it being tricky. The world of dual action polishers is maybe something to consider. I would be reluctant to spend a fortune one one and have never used one. I better get reading some reviews and guides!

I'm one of those who has OCD about finding marks on my car that I can't remove.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Join the club lol, I got around all the small imperfections with a complete rub back and repaint to turn it CW instead of CM (Championship Magnolia) lol

Now the only issues the paint has is some chips from track fun

Mike9000

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
Interesting point there... I've never used ultimate compound so would have to take your word for it being tricky. The world of dual action polishers is maybe something to consider. I would be reluctant to spend a fortune one one and have never used one. I better get reading some reviews and guides!
It‘s hard work and I‘d use a DA next time...but this is indicative of results by hand.

https://imgur.com/a/5Yly1cU