Phone recommendations

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Random one I appreciate but thought I'd switch it up from the usual.

Asking for a few recommendations for s new looming phone contract.

Ice currently got an S7 (none edge) and it's coming towards the end of it's contract.

I could just get a new Samsung but the Galaxy ones don't do a none edge variant now which would put me off entirely.

It's a toss up so far between the Google Pixel, Haewei Mate 10 pro or P10.

Any feedback would be magic. Please no iSheep recommendations please!!! Only looking for Android powered devices.

Cheers
Chris

Mardgee

Advanced Member
I‘ve tried Samsung and went back to apple for ease of use with syncing stuff with the GF. If I were to buy a phone within your choices it‘s the pixel every time, really impressed with it.

How it feels in your hand is always a big thing when changing brand, you need to go into the shop and have a play about!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Mardgee said:
I‘ve tried Samsung and went back to apple for ease of use with syncing stuff with the GF. If I were to buy a phone within your choices it‘s the pixel every time, really impressed with it.

How it feels in your hand is always a big thing when changing brand, you need to go into the shop and have a play about!
Yeah a great point re how it feels.

Definitely agree with having a play one s few but I've bought phones before that initially looked and felt great only to be disappointed. But I will be going tomorrow for a "recky" at the Huaweis and Pixel. Tempted to wait to see what spring 2018 brings. Thanks for the reply squire.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Just swapped my S8 plus for a pixel 2 XL.

Screen is superior on the S8 really, camera is astoundingly good on S8, but Google software on the pixel camera gives the pixel the edge on that.

General use after 3 months with both, pixel is the marginally better device. It's marginal though. Either phone is bloody good. Only issue with the Samsung is the 'bixby' button. Pointless and far too sensitive.

If I were choosing now, I'd go for the pixel or pixel XL. Saying that, the S9 is rumoured to be out in February, so wait till then, to get that or a far better deal on an S8 :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Oh, and I had the S8 edge and it frustrated the hell out of me with the edge bits being too sensible when typing etc. S8 has cured that now though.

Only reason I swapped to pixel was it's was upgrade time for wife and I had an argument on phone to o2 business and told them to get f&-_ked. ;)

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Oh, and I had the S8 edge and it frustrated the hell out of me with the edge bits being too sensible when typing etc. S8 has cured that now though.

Only reason I swapped to pixel was it's was upgrade time for wife and I had an argument on phone to o2 business and told them to get f&-_ked. ;)

Cheers John! Great to know Samsung have fixed edge problems. They drove me potty on the S6 and S7. I'm going to go play with a few phones today and see what I think. If I like the S8 I'm definitely going to wait until Feb/Mar when the S9 is released. Cheers!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
The pixel seems to be extremely popular. Really tempted to wait until the 3rd later next year.

Thanks for the link Jason! Much appreciated. Been watching a few reviews so will check that guy out for sure!

Chewy

Advanced Member
The curved screens on the new Samsung's aren't nearly as intrusive as the S7 Edge (and the likes)... I used to hate my S7 Edge but moving onto the Note8 which still has the curves screen, i don't notice it what so ever.

If it wasn't for the Note8 I ended up with, I was in the same boat as you, wanting to try something new, I'm not a fan of Google products so wrote the Pixel off straight away, the Haewei P10 etc are just gash, there's a reason you don't know anyone with one. haha.

A big contender for me was the Oneplus 5. I very nearly ended up with one, it's worth checking them out as a cheaper alternative that can compete with the big boys.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
The Galaxy S8 series don't really have the curved screen. I had the S6 Edge + and didn't really like the curved screen at all. I still decided to move on to the S8 as the 'curve' is no where near as prominent as the previous generations. It's much more subtle and looks+feels better. The curve makes videos and photos look much better.

With the S8 you can also turn all the 'edge' features off anyway. I have the S8 + and love it, I have no complaints whatsoever other than the screen ratio is a bit of an issue with YouTube but it does crop to fit anyway. I'd definitely recommend going into a store and trying out each phone. Performance doesn't really matter anymore as phones are on par with another really.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Great feedback Lewis and Sam, muchos appreciatedos. Definitely going to have a good feel at them all today. Can see my waiting for the S9 I reckon.

I will be turning the edge off so my fat, crab hands can function the phone.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Great feedback Lewis and Sam, muchos appreciatedos. Definitely going to have a good feel at them all today. Can see my waiting for the S9 I reckon.

I will be turning the edge off so my fat, crab hands can function the phone.
Rumours are starting to go around for the S9 so it can't be far away. New phone announcements usually happen around Feb/March time. That being said if you're desperate the S8 is a lovely phone and I can't really see how they'd upgrade it bar camera and weird features that you don't need.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Rumours are starting to go around for the S9 so it can't be far away. New phone announcements usually happen around Feb/March time. That being said if you're desperate the S8 is a lovely phone and I can't really see how they'd upgrade it bar camera and weird features that you don't need.

That's what's happened now a days with Samsung. They've started doing what Apple have done for the last 7 years or so. Releasing new phones Willy nilly for the sheep to buy (No offence iPhone users - mainly aimed at the teens who need to have the modern everything in life).

The S9 has been talked about for months. I can see it being a March release date personally which I will wait for I think.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Just been to a few phone shops and they aren't expecting the S9 until summer. The wait will continue, thanks to those who have commented.

p1tse

Advanced Member
New Samsung will probably be announced Feb/March time with sells shortly after

Pixel is a good, specs are way up there

Saying that I‘m an iSheep lol

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
New Samsung will probably be announced Feb/March time with sells shortly after

Pixel is a good, specs are way up there

Saying that I‘m an iSheep lol
How's it feeling having a software update to slow your phone down mate? Hehe I joke.

Your not wrong about the S9. I'm just going to wait for that.