Pioneer SPH-DA120

kyle'87

Advanced Member
Here is a video of my HTC M7 fully mirrored onto my Pioneer SPH-DA120. This might help a few guys who were thinking about the headunt but not sure of its capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_fFlOKfQ3M

I will try to answer any questions anyone has.

EDIT: The video may appear to jump around time I open up Waze. I decided after filming that the location it shows might be a little bit of a homing beacon so I cut it out, Waze does work flawlessly however.

EDIT2: Only thing to note is that I am not 100% sure what the output of the Android phone needs to have. I think it is to do with being MHL through HDMI compatible, however I am still yet to confirm this.

All I know is that the SGS6 would not work (admittedly it wasn't rooted but I didn't trust bricking the phone with Samsung's new "KNOX" install) as it does not put out MHL through USB.

12/01/2016 EDIT3: Managed to root my Sony Z3, now I have it working exactly like the HTC M7 did. :xgrin:

18/01/2016 EDIT4: As people keep asking and so David does not have to keep replying :xgrin: Here is the link to the surround. LINKY

kyle'87

Advanced Member
dotty said:
This is perfect , if only it had dab.
That is the only issue, I imagine due to some licencing issue around putting in the hardware for it. Just a wild guess.

I don't listen to the radio much so can accept the lack of dab.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Cheers Kyle! That's Christmas sorted!!
No problems!

Only thing to note is that I am not 100% sure what the output of the Android phone needs to have. I think it is to do with being MHL through HDMI compatible, however I am still yet to confirm this.

All I know is that the SGS6 would not work (admittedly it wasn't rooted but I didn't trust bricking the phone with Samsung's new "KNOX" install) as it does not put out MHL through USB.

If you have a HTC M7, congrats ha!

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Good stuff. I couldn't do without mine. Google maps is brilliant mirrored and saved me about half hour today on the way to the meet by steering me away from the traffic.

I use an app and a script that might be handy for you. It will unlock your phone and keep the lock off after connecting to the car via bluetooth. When the connection is lost it locks the device again.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Good stuff. I couldn't do without mine. Google maps is brilliant mirrored and saved me about half hour today on the way to the meet by steering me away from the traffic.

I use an app and a script that might be handy for you. It will unlock your phone and keep the lock off after connecting to the car via bluetooth. When the connection is lost it locks the device again.
A nice little feature of this Google Play ROM allows me to set a bluetooth device to do the same. I don't know if this is a stock feature or what you are using has been incorporated, however if you could pass overs the detail so I can take a look, that would be great :xgrin:

PeteMTBer

I just recently picked up an SPH-DA110 second hand for a great price and had just been using the Bluetooth audio and radio.

This weekend I bought an mhl to hdmi adapter and have just started playing around with it with my htc one m7.

I might have to ask you a few questions once I get to grips with it. My phone isn't rooted, so I'm just using the appradio app so far and I haven't tried Waze yet, just the google maps.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
kyle'87 said:
A nice little feature of this Google Play ROM allows me to set a bluetooth device to do the same. I don't know if this is a stock feature or what you are using has been incorporated, however if you could pass overs the detail so I can take a look, that would be great :xgrin:
Yeah that would help, sorry :)

All done through tasker with a few plugins, then onto appradio UC.

I went down the completely wireless route using a chromecast dongle and automated it with the above. Yeah it a cool gimmick but its much more stable with a MHDL converter. So i bought one which ended up being a blag copy from ebay so was useless as it wouldn't charge whilst displaying. I will get another proper Samsung one at some point.

S5 standard ROM rooted.

adam.

Advanced Member
My Pioneer double-din has now spent more time with Pioneer than it did in my car. :(

kyle'87

Advanced Member
PeteMTBer said:
I just recently picked up an SPH-DA110 second hand for a great price and had just been using the Bluetooth audio and radio.

This weekend I bought an mhl to hdmi adapter and have just started playing around with it with my htc one m7.

I might have to ask you a few questions once I get to grips with it. My phone isn't rooted, so I'm just using the appradio app so far and I haven't tried Waze yet, just the google maps.
Sure, I'll do my best to help out.

MissMyDC2 said:
Yeah that would help, sorry :)

All done through tasker with a few plugins, then onto appradio UC.

I went down the completely wireless route using a chromecast dongle and automated it with the above. Yeah it a cool gimmick but its much more stable with a MHDL converter. So i bought one which ended up being a blag copy from ebay so was useless as it wouldn't charge whilst displaying. I will get another proper Samsung one at some point.

S5 standard ROM rooted.
Thanks for the deets! I contemplated the chromecast but the two I have never proved stable enough for me to consider. HOWEVER, with the new chromecast about to surface... this may reignite that idea.

I think it might be safe to say the Samsung Galaxy 6 just wasn't the best choice of phone for the job. Very tempted by the Sony Z3 as recommended by another forum user.

adam. said:
My Pioneer double-din has now spent more time with Pioneer than it did in my car. :(
No, don't say that. Whats wrong with it?

adam.

Advanced Member
kyle'87 said:
No, don't say that. Whats wrong with it?
It was more 'what's right with it'. Lol, GPS and DAB went completely, unit reporting 'hardware errors'.

Got it back today actually, but haven't fit it.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
I think the issue with stability is due to the connection between phone and dongle is based on a mobile data connection. If the 2/3/4G drops the hotspot dies on the phone and the connection is lost. Stupid really as it should be based on the wifi signal between both.

I can have no issues one day and the next its a pain in the butt and its all down to the mobile connectivity killing the hot spot.

In-fact I am just going to order an other MHL2 except this time Samsung and see if it can keep up with the power drain as well as streaming.

CJ 251

Advanced Member
I've just installed This unit, great product!! only issue I have is the surround doesn't fit around the unit any ideas anyone ?? Cheers

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
I bought one from Amazon for about 10 quid and it fits perfectly. There was a link on here somewhere, I'll try dig it out if you can't find it.
Also now works great with the mhl adapter. The difference over the blag adapter in quality was night and day.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
CJ 251 said:
Thank you I've just placed my order hope it fits ok
The one David has linked will fit, it is the same one I have used which you can see in my video. It's not 100% perfect fit, but its damn close and by far the best fitment I've been able to find.

Richie200

Advanced Member
Is anybody using a 5S with this headunit. Just want to clarify which wires you need for audio/video playback as it seems to be a minefield on which wires do what.

Cheers.

CJ 251

Advanced Member
Thanks I've ordered the surround cheers. I'm using a 6s plus but not had chance to play around with it much