Power Loss while driving / Jerking? HELP PLZ!!

neolee40

Advanced Member
Hi all

Not sure if this has been mentioned before. But has anyone experienced power loss it feels like the car is losing power / engine breaking then suddenly jerks your car foraward? it's a very jerky feeling? This started happening when the car is very cold, Or after the car has been on long journeys. I have an Injen Induction and a Buddy club spec III exhaust.

Anyone had this? you help is much appreciated

thanks

truffs

John,

Could be the injectors, sometimes if you have let the fuel get low these get clogged easy fix is some sdp in the fuel tank.

HTH

PS this is wheat happened with my accord

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
I had something similar on my scooby - the fuel cut defenser, cuts fuel to the engine when you are really giving it some to prevent over-fueling. Not sure if the DC5 has one though... :?:

kingston

Advanced Member
Could be the cat playing up...

Could be fuel tank problem - i once had on my sei, air pockets forming in the fuel tank, which when the fuel level got to low would create a similar feeling as if driving into the wind, eventually the car would just lose power until you pulled over and released the pressure. This would tend to happen around the 1/4 tank mark but not when stuck in traffic strangely.

Did this happen before/after you fitted aftermarket parts?

T666YPR

Mines as jerky as hell,more so since having the ECU mapped.

Pretty sure it's a fuelling issue.

Soon as it senses you're lifting off the fuel will cut or the ignition retard,then slight more pressure on the pedal and it lurches forward when it's all go again.

Similar to what they used to call,"Kangaroo Petrol" but jerkier.

T666YPR

jonster said:
Isn't that the extra torque you've gained with mapping Si?

Jon
The acceleration maybe yeah,but how it surges and dies jerkily on part throttle is the weird bit.

It's only a bother in stop start traffic,no real bad thing.

The acc pedal is like a hair trigger now 8) :lol:

Very responsive :D

Evil_Weasel

Advanced Member
I get the kangaroo jerking quite often when I first pull off in the car in low revs when it is cold. Guessing it is just something to do with the way the engine's automatic choke is working...?

But if you are experiencing this after long journeys, it sounds like a more serious fueling problem! :?

Duncs

i occasionallly get the cold jerk thing, just as i back of at the end of my road, only when cold,
you could take it to a main dealer and get them to put it on the machine and see if there are any fault codes present

neolee40

Advanced Member
Good idea I will do that. This happened after the after market parts but it only happens occasionally? IT happened once when before i had the parts fitted as well. It also causes my Engine management light to come on. Do you all get this as well?

neolee40

Advanced Member
deffo not there's something not quite right and it seems everyone is having this problem :(. WE need to sort this out :)

jonster

Advanced Member
I sometime wonder if I have same car when I hear of these problems with the DC5. I don't have this jerking problem at all. I've had my car stock and mapped two times and not had this problem. It may be down to driving style I guess. Since I've made my car lighter the jerking should be more pronounced but I just don't experience it.

If your gettting an engine light fault coming I'd get it checked out if I were you (as long as it's not the expected 2nd O2 sensor thing).

Good luck,

Jon

T666YPR

I'd say mine is mostly when only having done a few miles,can't remember it being like it after a stretch.

I don't think it's a problem,just part and parcel of having tuned the car 8)

jonster

Advanced Member
I'd take it to Honda an get it checked out if that's the case. Their OBDII diagnostic tool should show up most things.

Jon

Duncs

i agree with jon, get it checked, it may be something like a lamda sensor or fuel related, they should be able to find the snag

dan the man

Advanced Member
responsive engines tho.. i noticed mine went worse on dc2 when i put engine damper on...as no give as such so whole car jerks on and off when pulling away..a right jugling act!

dan