Problems engaging reverse

lewis87

Advanced Member
Anyone had any issues selecting reverse? It's sometimes difficult to get reverse, it just keeps going into 6th. I can work around it by switching the ignition off and it goes in no bother so presuming something is wrong with the reverse lockout?

Anyone had this problem before, what parts likely need replaced?

lewis87

Advanced Member
Didn't really seem like the clutch to me, no problems selecting other gears and the clutch doesn't slip or drag.

Just feels like it is blocked from selecting reverse sometimes.

Cam

Advanced Member
Mine has difficulty finding Reverse sometimes but if I pop it back into neutral, disengage clutch and then try again it slips in fine.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
lewis87 said:
Didn't really seem like the clutch to me, no problems selecting other gears and the clutch doesn't slip or drag.

Just feels like it is blocked from selecting reverse sometimes.
This is what happened to mine for 4th gear only, no slipping, all other gears were fine and 4th was also ok occasionally.

Tgm pulled it apart and the clutch was fooked beyond belief mate, it pretty much fell apart. I‘ve never known one to be so bad yet still work enough to finish a track day and drive to tgm...

lewis87

Advanced Member
Cam said:
Mine has difficulty finding Reverse sometimes but if I pop it back into neutral, disengage clutch and then try again it slips in fine.
This sounds like what it's doing.

carl hammond said:
This is what happened to mine for 4th gear only, no slipping, all other gears were fine and 4th was also ok occasionally.
Tgm pulled it apart and the clutch was fornicateed beyond belief mate, it pretty much fell apart. I‘ve never known one to be so bad yet still work enough to finish a track day and drive to tgm...
I guess I can't rule the clutch out, I might unplug the reverse lockout servo and see what it's like.

Did it crunch going into 4th? Or just completely blocked?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
lewis87 said:
This sounds like what it's doing.

I guess I can't rule the clutch out, I might unplug the reverse lockout servo and see what it's like.

Did it crunch going into 4th? Or just completely blocked?
Sometimes it would crunch (when the gearbox was hot) and others it just wasn‘t there, have footage from trackdays where I was going into paddock hill, up towards druids and had to coast as I couldn't get my gears as it was like a brick wall in the way mate

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Go into 3rd before reverse it should pop in fine then.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ldubl

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Good advice! Not heard that before.

I had a D series HRV & when I read the manual, it said to wait 3-5secs before engaging reverse after selecting neutral.

lewis87

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Keep meaning to try this too but it seems to go in perfect if I select first and drive forward a bit.

My old DC2 would not go into reverse either and I just put it back into neutral then straight into reverse and it was like that the whole 6 years I had It ha.

lewis87

Advanced Member
ldubl said:
Good advice! Not heard that before.
I had a D series HRV & when I read the manual, it said to wait 3-5secs before engaging reverse after selecting neutral.
The Honda advice is interesting, I also read that Honda USA released some advice for customers struggling to select reverse with the Acura RSX.

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
I have this sometimes aswell, I've found that if it wont go into reverse easily, try and put it in gently and hold it there and raise the clutch slowly and itll POP in. Just the way the gears have lined up I suppose. Happens on my van aswell