Problems with rear Brembo caliper.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Car went through its MOT yesterday and passed with no advisories. I had noticed for a while when raising the handbrake it felt as if there was a knot in the cable.

The man tells me that the nearside caliper handbrake lever does not return to the stop when the lever is put down. I'm thinking of replacing both calipers with new. A refurb might have been the answer but I can't lay the car up.

I've spotted some Brembo/Nissin calipers as a replacement but they only come with a zinc finish. I might get them and paint them red to match the fronts.

Advice please as to what might be wrong with the nearside caliper and what paint I need to finish the new ones off.

Thanks and regards. Granty.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Hi Granty,

The rear calipers are not made by Brembo. However, they are the same as fitted to many other hondas including the EP3, it's just the discs that differ.
Replacement or a recondition are options, I'm sure Honda sell. Kit including new seals and piston, though I'm unsure which is more cost effective.
For painting, I doubt you'd get a match so maybe paint both rears for them to match :)

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Granty1056 said:
Hi all.

Car went through its MOT yesterday and passed with no advisories. I had noticed for a while when raising the handbrake it felt as if there was a knot in the cable.

The man tells me that the nearside caliper handbrake lever does not return to the stop when the lever is put down. I'm thinking of replacing both calipers with new. A refurb might have been the answer but I can't lay the car up.

I've spotted some Brembo/Nissin calipers as a replacement but they only come with a zinc finish. I might get them and paint them red to match the fronts.

Advice please as to what might be wrong with the nearside caliper and what paint I need to finish the new ones off.

Thanks and regards. Granty.

Sorry should have mentioned. The lever returns so far but not as far as it should. The pads come away from the disc with no binding.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

If anyone gets this problem I might have found a solution. On Youtube there's a video which shows how to free the handbrake lever up. On page 1424 of the RSX manual there's a diagram of the bits at fault.

I'm going to have a go at this when the weather gets better. There's a nut a spring a rubber boot and a cam. It's a matter of getting some gunge out and some lubrication in.

I'll report back when it's done.

Regards. Granty.

jown

Advanced Member
Sorry to jump on this thread to ask (I've replaced my calipers with ep3 ones) but I plan on having someone rebuild my dc5 calipers with new seals

But is there anything inside the handbrake mech on the caliper that needs to be serviced?

I also had issues with the rear brake test, I had to reset the handbrake and it only increased slightly but nothing too great