Question around mapping

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've had some PBS pads fitted to the rears, these were part used but for some reason they're sticking and smoking slightly intially however the smoking has since ceased

There is however some knocking coming from the front, why I don't know. I've a feeling the garage have been a bit rough as it had to have a N/S/F wheel bearing changing whilst the pads were being done.

The car feels heavier now and not free moving so I've a feeling I need a new caliper.

It's going into EFI on Wednesday for a map tweak as I've had an RM01A fitted a month ago, will the fault with the sticky rear pads/caliper potentially impact how much power Chris can put on the rollers during it's dyno? I recall Chris saying binding brakes can impact the figures, but would that be from the front brakes or does this include the rears also?

Many thanks

Marc

p1tse

Advanced Member
If it‘s the rear then won‘t have an impact as if it‘s on roller then it will be front wheels on dyno

Go for a longer drive and if the wheels are hot to touch then you‘ve probably got sticky calliper on that side

Are the discs scoured at all, run your finger nail over them to see if smooth

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks mate for the info, I'm taking it for a longer run tomorrow. There was loads of heat coming from it yesterday and the day before but it seems to have eased now, felt fine just then when I went out in it. Discs feel ok when I rubbed over them earlier bud. I'll see how it goes.

p1tse

Advanced Member
I had issues on the family wagon
The calipers stuck and got the piston refurbed

It‘s quite obvious even after a run of 20 minutes the wheel was hot, which they shouldn‘t be at all hot to touch

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I took it for a long drive on the weekend and the wheels weren't hot or anything and bar some slight stickiness when setting off, they were otherwise fine.

My dad's had a quick look at the disc and he says there is some slight scoring but nothing too bad. Hopefully all is ok with them!

It's going back in the garage next week as it's developed a slight knocking noise on lock from both sides at the front which it wasn't doing before it went into the garage to have the pads and wheel bearing done.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Due to them being used it's quite possible they're worn to the shape of the previous owners discs. which will be fractionally different to yours.

PBS pads have a bedding in procedure, this should really only apply to new pads but it might be worth going through it again just to help bed them in to your discs a little better?

p1tse

Advanced Member
I was thinking about the pads might be off shape being used.

Hope you get it sorted and mapping goes well?

Should have bought a proper DC5, *cough* CW with red ;)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks lads for the advice, I will try and bedd them in again when I can.

It's going back into the garage next week to have a look at the brakes as I've a feeling the caliper may have gone.

I want it spot on before I head out on track in early October.

jasonevans

A bit late to the party but I had this on my CTR EP3 ( shares the same caliper ) .. For me it was the silder pins. Just check to see if they are moving freely, if there not then remove them and greese them up. You may as well do both sides .