Race header help needed!

steve147

Hi guys I'm wanting to purchase a race header for my 2001 type r. Iv been considering the skunk2 and also the tegiwa. Is either one better than the other? Also is one alot louder than the other? Any help would be much appreciated guys.
Regards,
Steve.

steve147

Have you not consideeed better brand items?

DC Sport
Spoon
Mugen
Toda etc ?
Hey Carl thanks for you're reply, much appreciated. I was looking at the toda 421 and was under the impression the tegiwa was a replica of it. Going on that basis i was thinking of the massive price difference that's all. Is it worth spending the extra would you say? What benefits would I get? As you can tell I'm new to this
Regards,
Steve.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hey Carl thanks for you're reply, much appreciated. I was looking at the toda 421 and was under the impression the tegiwa was a replica of it. Going on that basis i was thinking of the massive price difference that's all. Is it worth spending the extra would you say? What benefits would I get? As you can tell I'm new to this
Regards,
Steve.
You will be getting quality not a cheap copy item made of cheaper materials. Buy cheap buy twice.
DC Sport
Spoon
Mugen
Toda etc are all genuine items, the likes of Tegiwa and Skunk2 (or Skank 2) as they are also known are copies of the genuine items and made of poorer quality materials (which is why they can be so much cheaper). The genuine items prices are higher for many reasons (e.g. they put all the R&D into it, don't cut corners, use decent high quality materials etc).

I had the DC Sport racing header on mine throughout my entire ownership and it was only used heavy on track and it was perfect. I looked into swapping it out for a Spoon header so I could have a sport car (due to the DC Sport removing the cat completely) but I decided to just keep the DC Sport in the end and never regretted it.

Personally I would do it right first time and buy a decent product

steve147

You will be getting quality not a cheap copy item made of cheaper materials. Buy cheap buy twice.
DC Sport
Spoon
Mugen
Toda etc are all genuine items, the likes of Tegiwa and Skunk2 (or Skank 2) as they are also known are copies of the genuine items and made of poorer quality materials (which is why they can be so much cheaper). The genuine items prices are higher for many reasons (e.g. they put all the R&D into it, don't cut corners, use decent high quality materials etc).

I had the DC Sport racing header on mine throughout my entire ownership and it was only used heavy on track and it was perfect. I looked into swapping it out for a Spoon header so I could have a sport car (due to the DC Sport removing the cat completely) but I decided to just keep the DC Sport in the end and never regretted it.

Personally I would do it right first time and buy a decent product
Thanks again Carl. So if I went for the spoon 4-2 that would mean I would keep the cat on the car rite? Is it worth putting a header on but keeping a standard cat would you think? Or would i be better off just buying a sports cat? I know spoon do the 2-1 section to go with the header but that again just removes the cat entirely doesn't it. Decisions are a pain in the ass

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks again Carl. So if I went for the spoon 4-2 that would mean I would keep the cat on the car rite? Is it worth putting a header on but keeping a standard cat would you think? Or would i be better off just buying a sports cat? I know spoon do the 2-1 section to go with the header but that again just removes the cat entirely doesn't it. Decisions are a pain in the ass
Depends what you want to use the car for, how and when it will be used, if you're able to get any MOT without a cat and so on. Mine was a track car so I just fitted the oem mani and cat if and when I needed too, whereas running a decat on the road all the time is a hit and miss scenario and I see things getting stricter over time.

I know Solid Fab does a header with a removable cat, his craftmanship is great but I personally hate the sound and look of his systems, they sound nasty imo and I know some have failed MOT's even with his high flow sport car. Also Piper do a header and sport cat, but the only sport cat I have known to be reliable on MOT's consistently is the SARD one but you'll be paying a lot more for them now than they were a few years back.

If you want to go for a proper branded header without a cat then DC sport is the best one pound for pound, however if you want a removable decat or a sport cat in place then Mugen, Spoon or Toda would be my choice

All the above as said however depends on how and when you'll be using the car etc

steve147

Depends what you want to use the car for, how and when it will be used, if you're able to get any MOT without a cat and so on. Mine was a track car so I just fitted the oem mani and cat if and when I needed too, whereas running a decat on the road all the time is a hit and miss scenario and I see things getting stricter over time.

I know Solid Fab does a header with a removable cat, his craftmanship is great but I personally hate the sound and look of his systems, they sound nasty imo and I know some have failed MOT's even with his high flow sport car. Also Piper do a header and sport cat, but the only sport cat I have known to be reliable on MOT's consistently is the SARD one but you'll be paying a lot more for them now than they were a few years back.

If you want to go for a proper branded header without a cat then DC sport is the best one pound for pound, however if you want a removable decat or a sport cat in place then Mugen, Spoon or Toda would be my choice

All the above as said however depends on how and when you'll be using the car etc
Carl thanks for all you're advice, you've been a massive help. Given me lots to think about and weigh up. Top man

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Why no one here choose Hytech, they are supposed to be the best headers for honda B,K, and F series engine
I think the main reason is this page is predominantly UK and some Europe based owners, whereas I believe Hytech is USA based?, I maybe wrong but never seen them for sale here in the UK.

They were however discussed a long time ago, but as said above, they are of no use to 90% of the members here as they are not UK based