RBC v RRC inlet manifolds - the difference and what you would go for

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
All I seem to have gained from reading older topics on inlet manifold types is conflicting and vague information! So here come the questions:

• Aside from approx. £100, what's the difference between an RBC and an RRC?
  • If money was not a factor, what would you go for and why?
  • Does it make a difference choosing an RBC or RRC for a DC5 that is predominantly a daily driver as opposed to track-focused?
  • Are there any fitment issues that would make one better than the other e.g. trimming the slam panel, relocating A/C pipes or other?
  • Are Skunk2 inlet manifolds preferred again? If so, what and why?

From what I know/have read, correct me if wrong:

RBC

Popular
Short runners and large plenum
Best for top end power

RRC

OEM on FD2
Best for mid and top end power
Wider and longer runners versus the RBC

Answering my own question would lead me to think that the RRC is marginally better than the RBC but keen on thoughts of others. I imagine bolt ons and how good your map is are also factors in opinions but appreciate any advice!

Cheers.

Fez

Advanced Member
I was going to go for the RRC, just from reading that people get a few extra hp here or there etc, but then the skunk2, (iirc) is cheaper to buy, and then you dont have to buy all the gaskets and the TB adapter as it comes with them all new, and already fits oem TB bolts. So works out fair bit cheaper, And about the same sort of gains.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I'm sure I read that the RRC needs to have some trimming done to make it fit, again someone can confirm that.

I was going to go for the new SKUNK2 mani, the two piece one. But considering I am going to SC in the future, I'm just going to stick on the RBC and be done with that.

I'm sure the turbo guys are running stock RBC manifolds with decent power curves.

Here is a rather old review, take it with a pince of salt of course.

andrewv4

I have the RRC manifold bought from Tegiwa 2 years ago. I had TDI north fit it with no cutting. The Bonnet raiser clip is removed and it rests next to the manifold when the bonnet is down and never had any issues with it.

antisanta

Advanced Member
Having compared a dyno graph of mine (RBC) and a mates (RRC) the curves are very similar.. I'd save the money and just stick with the RBC to be honest.

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Very helpful comments so thanks very much. That was one of the various links I read before Kyle, definite pinch of salt required, there isn't much substance to those 'reviews'!

I guess like everything else then this boils down to personal preference (cost, convenience, brand name) rather than one being outright superior to the other as I assumed. xthumbsup

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey guys. My car is mapped to 223 brake on KPRO with an OEM inlet. Is it worth the extra money getting an RBC, would it free up more power at all and where within the power band would you see the most difference?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I have looked at this a couple of times and found that although they add bhp as they are better more free flowing they also pound for pound are not really imo worth it. Additional changes to the car can make it corner, handle, brake and perform better with the original PBC and lower bhp yet on track it'd be just as quick, bhp wont always make the car faster, in the right hands a stock car can kill a modded one and unless an RBC or RRC came up cheap enough I personally wouldn't and won't bother getting one, I would rather throttle bodies :)

However if one likes to chasing numbers then the RBC or RRC are for you but the gains are in reality minimal for the price you pay, welcome to the world of N/A tuning :)

Ryanj1993

Advanced Member
i have an RBC. Adds a little mid range, but not alot. if you're after power gains, 3" exhuast and big bore mani is your best choice.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I have looked at this a couple of times and found that although they add bhp as they are better more free flowing they also pound for pound are not really imo worth it. Additional changes to the car can make it corner, handle, brake and perform better with the original PBC and lower bhp yet on track it'd be just as quick, bhp wont always make the car faster, in the right hands a stock car can kill a modded one and unless an RBC or RRC came up cheap enough I personally wouldn't and won't bother getting one, I would rather throttle bodies :)

However if one likes to chasing numbers then the RBC or RRC are for you but the gains are in reality minimal for the price you pay, welcome to the world of N/A tuning :)
Thanks mate, I will probably stick to improving the handling and braking where possible.

Thanks Carl.

big-pete

Advanced Member
what is the inlet mani of choice??

i wouldnt mind doing a skunk2 with a bigger throttle body, or even just some thermal gaskets, but i aint got a clue which makes more power.

id personally like more power from 6000-redline, anything under that is useless tbh.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
big-pete said:
what is the inlet mani of choice??

i wouldnt mind doing a skunk2 with a bigger throttle body, or even just some thermal gaskets, but i aint got a clue which makes more power.

id personally like more power from 6000-redline, anything under that is useless tbh.
I have a skunk 2 Mani brand new in box I'm no longer planning to use if interested

badeshi

Advanced Member
Of course there is also RSP manifold! I haven't costed it but read that it compares well to both RRC and RBC...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
badeshi said:
Of course there is also RSP manifold! I haven't costed it but read that it compares well to both RRC and RBC...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The fn2 boys usually upgrade from the RSP to the RRC.
Im not sure on a k20 but my mate put an RSP on a k24 and made poor figures, the tuner said the inlet was restricting him. Where an RBC/RRC woildn't have been a problem. So i doubt it would be much of an upgrade for us.

Kenz

Advanced Member
My car has been mapped with a 421, cat back and intake, however it is still using the standard inlet. I have just bought an rbc and skunk2 Tb (not sure if the Tb will be used) because they were cheap, a lot of people don‘t think it‘s worth changing but I am also going to be changing the exhaust soon so thought I may as well get the most from the map tweak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Kenz said:
My car has been mapped with a 421, cat back and intake, however it is still using the standard inlet. I have just bought an rbc and skunk2 Tb (not sure if the Tb will be used) because they were cheap, a lot of people don‘t think it‘s worth changing but I am also going to be changing the exhaust soon so thought I may as well get the most from the map tweak.

what power did it make without the intake?

Kenz

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
what power did it make without the intake?
244 at Tdi north, was already mapped when I bought it. That‘s with a tegiwa air box, tegiwa manifold and skunk2 mega power r cat back. I think I‘m going to take it to efi this time to have it done, will be interesting the see what it makes there.