Rear Speaker Recommendations

Jvzr

Advanced Member
I know its been covered a million times, but so many different opinions, sizes etc, its hard to settle.

My dc5 came with no rear speakers, only found it out today, always presumed were disconnected.
And being a huge music lover, this has to change.

So after something thats straight fit, i seen loads people mentioning adapters etc etc. Id rather avoid that if i can.

Is 5.25 the standard fitting size?
Im willing to spend id imagine Mid range money,
I looked at JL 525 CXI, but at 300€, im not intrested in spending that much.

So any one got any middle ground opinions?

OliverV

i personally would not invest on rear speakers at all. get nice frontstage and a smaller sub in the back, you'll be fine!
because the main thing is - how much are you ridng in the back or with "full house"? :)

i just pulled the rear plugs out of the speakers. because the front is good, rear persons can hear it if they need to hear :)

The Mofo

Advanced Member
I've never heard a great sounding system with just fronts and a sub it sounds empty and a little thin, you're asking a relatively small set of speakers to do a lot of work and car subwoofers aren't the most musical beasts. I've always put rear fills in, helps to fill out the sound and also overcome exterior noise.

I've never heard a bad set of rainbows or if you can find some check out Morel speakers, I've got a set of their coaxials in the back and they are brilliant although I would encourage you to consider squeezing in 6.5's. I did this with a bit of modification to the plastic surround and managed to squeeze them in, that with my rainbows up front and the all powered properly sound very good for a non sub system.

-james-

I recently stuck some JL TR525CXI as rears (75 quid on amazon), and TR650CXI in the front.
Also added a Kenwood underseat sub - The whole sound is actually pretty good now.
Don't forget some sound proofing in the doors and rear quarter panels...

kyle'87

Advanced Member
OliverV said:
i personally would not invest on rear speakers at all. get nice frontstage and a smaller sub in the back, you'll be fine!
because the main thing is - how much are you ridng in the back or with "full house"? :)

i just pulled the rear plugs out of the speakers. because the front is good, rear persons can hear it if they need to hear :)
I second this. For the price you want to put into the rear of the car you could solidify the front setup.

Unless you are going for a fully amplified system (4 or 5 channel) there is really no point. You will gain nothing from having the rears in IMO.

I've always looked it it this way, you don't go to a concert and listen at the back facing away from the music.

However, if you are still all stock then i would get OEM speakers and whack them in for peace of mind.

Rom

Advanced Member
Forget the rears. I used to swear by running rears, insisting it sounds much better. I'd generally set them up so you couldn't tell where the sound was coming from, front or back.

It wasn't until one died, that I disconnected then. At first, the sound is different for sure. But it hasn't lost any quality, and now I don't think I'll bother running a set again. I took them out for weight reduction... Because race car!

You want to be running adapters really, as I think they use a 3 screw mount, which isn't ideal. Plus an mdf adapter gives a better mounting. I cut my rear panels a bit to fit 6''. Go big or go home, plus much more choice in size.

That said, run a decent set of components up front, and a sub. That's all you need. A lot of SQ cars run this. It's the SPL boys that run more.
The rears are going to be mid bass, or full range. Full range will never out perform components (assuming you don't buy junk ones) and a component woofer is mid bass, tweeter handles the high range.
Plus, you can bridge a 4 channel and run much more powerful fronts. If off a head unit , it won't matter, as sound won't be great either way.

I run 6'' components and a 10'' sub, they can drown out a Buddyclub header and spec 3 system!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Cheers for the reply lads.

I went for JBL Gt 529. Got adapters from USA for the rears. There 5.25"

While id love a sub, i just think itd be very out of place in the car so not going to go that route.

When i get a few euro together i will invest into fronts. For now the rear has added that small bit og bass and clarity i was looking for.

I think if i was to be a bit more serious about the sound i think id need sound deading. the car sounds very metally/hollowy.

The Standard covers also rattle when i put them on so for now ill leave them off.

Linus27

Advanced Member
My rears rattled when I got it and the previous owner had also removed the covers. I was told it's the cloth cover that's on the speaker covers and to remove it. So this is what I did and no more rattle or vibration.

OliverV

i would reccomend some softer seal for the covers so that they wont rattle. but it sounds hollow because there is just nothing in the rear for deadening. if you put some lightweight sound deadening, it is all good, like STP Gold AERO. try it out and it is well worth it.

Vtec is a way of life

Does anyone know where you can get the adaptors from.. Iv tried google search but can't find them anywhere ? Thank you

Jvzr said:
Cheers for the reply lads.

I went for JBL Gt 529. Got adapters from USA for the rears. There 5.25"

While id love a sub, i just think itd be very out of place in the car so not going to go that route.

When i get a few euro together i will invest into fronts. For now the rear has added that small bit og bass and clarity i was looking for.

I think if i was to be a bit more serious about the sound i think id need sound deading. the car sounds very metally/hollowy.

The Standard covers also rattle when i put them on so for now ill leave them off.

klone

Vtec is a way of life - on ebay, search for 'SAK-1209'

they are civic adaptors, I got some last week and they fit perfectly.