Reflections and Advice after my 3rd Trackday (First FI day!!

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hello Peeps

Just done my 3rd trackday (still new to it) and first since the JRSC install.

I'll sum up the day at Llandow first - FUN

It was my best day to date, although the weather looked poor this morning, it stayed dry uptill 3:30 this afternoon. I was playing with all the open topped cars (elise, VX220 turbo, Cats etc etc) all day, me surprising be able to out pace them with road tyres on and not bad on the corners (would be better with cut slicks for sure :lol: ).

An instructor came out with me and was very impressed with the car, said it was a 'Tin Top' with Cat's capabilities :lol:

I was well chuffed when I showed an STI want a Honda is made off as well 8) 8) 8)

Anyway, one thing I need to do is to learn to heel & toe. Does anyone else have think the peddles are too far apart, my instructor thought so? So, with this is mind, has anyone got after market pedals install? any recommendations?

Another Issue I had was with me brakes. I some judder and a grinding noise when braking :shock: The pads are about half way down (ferodo 2500's) and all four discs seem to be scored (fronts worse).

Do I need ti replace all of these items? what do peeps recommend of so?
(I already have steel lines and Motel fluid)

The instructor though direct cooling would help also, anyone done this yet?

Anyway, my next adventure on track is up at Anglesey at the end of Oct, I'm doing Sat & Sun on track, can't wait :lol:

Cheers

Mike

T666YPR

Hi Mike,

I've been having a real problem with my brakes on trackdays too
(standard item pads & lines)
Even when I brake really hard the car just keeps going

I might have put a shine on them in my normal driving,trail braking and all that :?

I'm always practising my heel & toe on the road but don't have a problem with the spacing as I've got size 11's :oops:

Practice makes perfect as they say,the more I do it the more natural it feels

Simon

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Well its about time....

So when are you going to come on a real track mate and forget these air field things :wink:

If you fancy it I will be doing Snettington Park on the 31st of October .. book via bookatrack.. Its open pit as well so you can jump in if you like and likewise with yours.

As for the heel and toe.. maybe your not doing it right mate as I can do it. I am size 9 and I reckon Franz cannot be no more than size 6 or something really small :lol:

none of us have adjusted our pedals.

As for the brakes, I personally think DS2500 are to hard for the standard brake disc and both Franz and myself warpped our disc's using them, although they did stop very very well, I won't use them again.. I prefer Hawks, not as much stopping power as DS2500 but at least my disc will last. I am going to try the Hawk racing pads next instead of the street pads and see how they go. I now have three sets of discs, so if I warp my current ones at least I have somemore to stick on. I too have uprated hoses and fluid.

But really if you are going to be doing trackdays alot and with the power that your car is kicking out I would look at upgrading your discs and pads.. Get some groove disc's if I was you. Spend a few quid and get some good discs.

Hope to see you at Snet or some other track..

UW

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Thanks Mark

I'll have you know, Llandow is a track !! all be it small.

I will try to do some circuits next year when I have more experience.

My next track is Anglesey end of Oct, for a whole weekend, Sat & Sun on track :lol:

I think its the pads which were my issue, I talked to a friend of mine at Cirencester on the way home, he said, like Steels, go to Padgid ones... time to rob another bank :wink:

Mike

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Cool

Just remember Padgid's are a very hard compound and if you brake hard and for to long, you WILL warp your disc... just be warned..

Brake hard and quick when braking for corners and get off the brakes quick and you should have no problems with scorching or warping..

Mark

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Warping generally occurs when you put too much heat into the disks, 2 main affects, are lack of air ducting, and using hard compound pads, leaving the handbrake on whilst parking up after heavy use can cause damage to the rear discs.

A grooved and vented disk will help, as the grooves push the gases out, the DC5 IIRC has more than adequate brake ducting, with 300bhp, you really should be looking at 6 pot AP's espeacily if you run cut slicks IMHO.

Also doing a good cooling down lap is important at the shorter circuits do 1.5/2 laps, I normally go reasonably quick, and try not to use the brakes.

truffs

Did the tracx day at silverstone, my first and certainly not my last! i was very nervous with what the Teg could get away with especially since i had an Evo 6 on the out lap thinking he was the boy and me thinking that i was going to need to change my pants. After the PACE car went in i left him, couldn't believe it :xak: even on the corners he was finding it hard, then it was a WRX Sti, then an Auidi S2 and the only one that i was having problems with was a BMW M3 coupe that had been stripped (o and the TVR Cerbra 5.0l but that dosent count because he made me feel like a mtero the way he shot past me :D )

i didn't really have any problems with my brakes even in 30 degree heat. i have a Truss lower lip spolier that has air ducts that flow the air straight over the brakes and due to the turbo intake the fog light slots have been knocked out which enables more air over teh brakes and this seems to do the job well.

a hint that we were told during the briefing to save your brakes from wraping was on the in lap just use your gears to slow yourself down as this enables the heat to disperse off of them more naturally. (it could be a total load of rubbish though making us slow down rather than hooning it around the last lap :roll: )

The only problem that i found wasn't the destruction of the front tyres but for some strnage reason my nearside rear was a mess!!

but as i am so new to this i tend to listen to anything that will save my car from being damaged and will probably believe anything as well!!!!!

and another thing 5 laps of Silverstone and i used a 1/2 tank of petrol which worked out at around 8mpg!!!! Did get a shade over 130mph down the main stright though!!

very very envious of you boys who do this regulary.

T666YPR

truffs said:
a hint that we were told during the briefing to save your brakes from warping was on the in lap just use your gears to slow yourself down as this enables the heat to disperse off of them more naturally. (it could be a total load of rubbish though making us slow down rather than hooning it around the last lap :roll: )
It's the truth,and don't put your handbrake on when you parkup.

Simon

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Re: Reflections and Advice after my 3rd Trackday (First FI d

MJ Type-R said:
Another Issue I had was with me brakes. I some judder and a grinding noise when braking :shock:
Mike... that'll be the ABS then matey :wink: !

ps2london

Advanced Member
orginal brake disk with orginal pad is working well, but i think only last about 3 trackdays.

changed aftermarket disk and pad, yes they cost more, but they last a lot longer, i am using 800C brake pad, after 6-7 trackdays included 2 days SPA and 2 days Nurburgring, still have more then half left, so for long term is safe u money.