removing swirl marks on NHB colour

abbey132

Hi guys, anyone had experience of Megs swirl X or scratch X for swirl marks or can suggest anything better, i will e using a DA polisher for this little project.. thanks

Reggie91

Advanced Member
On my old Milano ep2 I used poor boys super swirl removers on my bonnet. There's several levels depending on how bad the swirls. I started with a super swirl remover 2 then moved to super swirl remover 1, before finishing off with megs polish and wax.

However for the best finish I would go for a DA as that's what I did and the difference was night and day

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
Just don't go at it with the highest cut first

Your better off trying a less aggressive compound and working your way up slightly if needed

The poorboys ssr is decent
Menzerna (spelling 😜) is good stuff too

Just take your time and it will be cool 👍🏻

civic17_99

Advanced Member
I've used Meguiars Microfibre cutting pad with the pink cutting compound they sell to go with them. Found that to work very well at removing swirls, gives a great finish as well.

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
civic17_99 said:
I've used Meguiars Microfibre cutting pad with the pink cutting compound they sell to go with them. Found that to work very well at removing swirls, gives a great finish as well.
I think the microfibre pads are quite aggressive fine if it's badly swirled but you always want to start with the least aggressive pad/compound combo and work up until you get the desired amount of cut.

I'd start with a medium foam pad and something like ssr2 (don't forget Honda paint is notoriously soft and thin) then if there is anything that needs a bit more cut you have somewhere to go

Just remember the less aggressive you are the better long term and it's much easier to make 2-3 passes over any panel than respraying that panel 👍🏻

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
I use Menzerna SF4500 with a white hexlogic pad. Took most of the swirls our of my bonnet with 2 passes. Probably says alot about how soft our paint is.

Poorboys is good if you don't have anywhere undercover, it's designed to be able to be used in direct sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
El_Boomo said:
I use Menzerna SF4500 with a white hexlogic pad. Took most of the swirls our of my bonnet with 2 passes. Probably says alot about how soft our paint is.

Poorboys is good if you don't have anywhere undercover, it's designed to be able to be used in direct sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The hexlogic pads are wicked 👍🏻

Pagejack

I also have a NHB DC5 and also find it hard to keep on top of swirls.
I have used the poor boys and 3m compounds and there great!
Everyone has their own way of washing cars but with swirls can come from washing your car (as you probably already know), when I do anything whether it's wash or waxing/polishing I try and stick to straight lines instead of the old wax on wax off approach.
Look forward to seeing how it comes out 👍

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Once you've removed the swirling with a machine polisher, they only come back when washing if the incorrect methods are used.

Not saying there is a right or wrong way to wash a car...everyone has their own approach. But if its putting swirls back in, then you need to review your process.

I use a decent snowfoam to break down and remove 80% of the crap, a soft bristled detailing brush to get in all the nooks and crannies, pressure wash off then again of needs be. Wash with a soft microfibre or lams wool mit and use two buckets and you should have no issues with swirling for a long time.

If you have a decent wax on too, a weekly wash routine (if possible) then the snowfoam should do most of the work and speed up the process. :)

If you're washing the dirt and grime off without a pre wash treatment other than getting it wet with the pressure washer, or using sponges etc then washing the dirt into the paint is when the swirling starts to re appear.

If you are relying on using a polish to "fill" the small scratches making them look less visible, then yes they too will start to come back. You will need to cut the top layer back with a decent machine polish and cutting compound. Hand just won't cut it unfortunately..... no pun intended :) hehe

Hope this helps :)

Endi

I use poor boys world 'black hole' show glaze on my black car. Fills in swirls a treat. A light compounded machine polish, followed by said glaze and then all sealed in with a decent wax hides most of my swirl marks. smells so good you can eat it as well.