Replacing Double Din

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I'm replacing the stereo that came with the car when it was imported (JDM so can't get any decent stations). It already has a double din installed so I'm guessing I can just use that facia for the new double din I'm buying?

Also can anyone tell me what loom adapter I'll need to fit the Sony unit?

Lastly, can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to remove the stereo, ie where the screws are to pop off the trim etc.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

The guide above is spot on. You need to take a bit of care not to mark the delicate plastics. You will need an ISO PC2.68.4 harness adapter easily available, Halfords etc.

When I did mine several years ago I had to swap two wires in the harness over, black to yellow yellow to black to save the pre sets.

Best to get further advice on here or from Halfords etc as there might have been recent changes to harness part numbers etc. Its seven years since I did my conversion.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
If you've already got after market stereo, chances you might already have a harness installed so check before you buy new one..

Most double din are same size.. but some screens are slightly smaller than others so they usually have a black trim to go round it to fill the hole and make it flush

Teggs

Just installed my new Double DIN today, a Pioneer SPH-DA230 DAB

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/android-auto/pioneer-sph-da230dab?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Car+Audio-_-Android+Auto-_-509346&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xapawwxqaq&istBid=tzir&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868555897|agid:49387676292|tid:aud-297219197929:pla-425152212714|crid:203456299578|nw:g|rnd:3416204637391316262|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9046293&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ZDT4auK2QIV5pPtCh1Z8QRvEAQYASABEgKDc_D_BwE

Pricey at £450 quid, plus 20 quid for a DAB aerial, but I thought if I'm gonna spend 300 might as well push the boat out and go the whole hog.

Wish I'd read the guide beforehand! I ended up diconnecting the transmission trim aswell and sliding it back a bit to make it easier to work with. Quite a few cables to route;

Microphone - Ideally would gone on the A-pillar but the route through was a bit more tricky so thats been mounted on the steering boss cover
USB cable - still not decided where I want this, as I'm basically just gonna plug a large USB stick into it and leave it I might look at putting in glove compartment, even if it does give me less room for gloves.
DAB aerial - Got this to fit tomorrow, thinking that might go adjacent the passenger A-pillar - Upside down!

Not had much chance to play about with it, but really good 1st impressions, sound is great, and whilst it doesn't add +10BHP, it weighed less than half of what was removed :xaiweb6:

Pro-Tip - Remove the connector block from the back of the Hazard light switch and don't disassemble the switch just because its easier :xaiweb3: 'A mate of mine' did that, needless to say we are no longer speaking.