Respraying Advan RG Wheels?

Rob_94

Hi Guys,

I recently bought some Advan RGs (From k20Lyfe) which have unfortunately been resprayed silver. I want to restore them to their original gold with a blue band round the outside, but I'm struggling to find the colour code for either the gold or the blue. Does anyone know how I could find this info?

What they look like now:

What I want them to look like:

Cheers,
Rob

BigCarlo

Just go to a powder coaters and they will have a full range of colours that should be there

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Rob_94

BigCarlo said:
Just go to a powder coaters and they will have a full range of colours that should be there

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Would really like to get the exact colour code or official Advan paint if possible rather than guessing - the colour seems to change in pictures of them due to the shine/lighting so hard to pinpoint exactly what it should be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob_94

Honda-atr said:
Have a look over here http://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/
They also have the Ray's anodized colour matches ;)
Good shout- can't see it on the website but I'll give them a call tomorrow. Cheers

Edit.. they don't have it unfortunately

If anyone's got any other ideas would be very much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I would personally advise against having them powder coated. They will look far better with wet paint, as it's a thinner layer and will allow for the crisp lines of a quality wheel to show through. You'll also probably struggle to get something anywhere near as vibrant as the original Advan colour with powder coating.

Aside from finish, if the mounting faces for the hub and nuts aren't masked properly, there will be a thick layer of paint that will allow the nuts to come loose until the layer is worn or scraped off. Powder coating also weighs much more than paint. I like my wheels to be as light as possible.

Rob_94

Kevin85 said:
I would personally advise against having them powder coated. They will look far better with wet paint, as it's a thinner layer and will allow for the crisp lines of a quality wheel to show through. You'll also probably struggle to get something anywhere near as vibrant as the original Advan colour with powder coating.

Aside from finish, if the mounting faces for the hub and nuts aren't masked properly, there will be a thick layer of paint that will allow the nuts to come loose until the layer is worn or scraped off. Powder coating also weighs much more than paint. I like my wheels to be as light as possible.
Yeah think I would go standard paint as thats how they were originally painted so more authentic. Have managed to get the colour code for the Advan gold (E31G) from the Australian branch of Yokohama of all places, but it isn't much use as the paint shops I've spoken to can only search by standard car manufacturer colours

SamDC5

Advanced Member
+1 for not having the wheels powder coated, the finish is horrible and would always have them sprayed from now on. If I were you I'd just pick a colour shade as close as possible, no one will know haha.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Powder coating is really hit and miss, depends who does it and what process they have followed. I vow never to have wheels powder coated again after mine

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
9 months is a short period of time. Currently it will still be flexible, in a couple of years it will become brittle and more prone to chips.
Ive heard some urban myths about powder coat which are mainly from people who've had cowboys do there powder coating however that's a new one, as it's baked on I doubt it will harden up much more than it already is currently, as long as it's prepped, applied and cured correctly it's a stable coating.

Rom

Advanced Member
Honda-atr said:
Have a look over here http://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/
They also have the Ray's anodized colour matches ;)
I used their rays bronze years ago on a set of Watanabes.
It was not rays bronze . Looked more like Subaru gold they use.

Companies keep the paint etc secret. They don't want people to be able to paint a set of Rotas to match etc.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk