Rev Hunting

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I am starting to experience some rev hunting issues with my car. It doesn't appear to be all the time but it's getting more frequent.

The issue doesn't occur on a cold start up (certainly not yet anyway) but instead once the car is warmed up. There is 3 elements to the issue:

1. Rev hunting on idle - so I will be stationary and the revs are going up and down from 1k to 2k.
2. Rev hunting on gear changes - so when I am driving along and, dip the clutch for a gear change, the revs will drop as normal but then go up and then drop again as if it's confused what it should be doing.
3. Finally the car is jerking and unpleasant to drive in low revs. Classic example is slowly down for a speed bump and once it hits 2k it just jumps/jerks.

Now I know these are common problems in the DC5's. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the TPS sensor or ICAV from what I've researched but from the 3 problems above does it help narrow down what it could be for sure? Don't want to start swapping out parts that are working fine.

Appreciate any help.

Jordan

Chewy

Advanced Member
IACV is the problem, Very common.

If going out and for a 'spirited' drive (smashing the tits off it) for a bit doesn't work... You'll want to find the IACV cleaning how-to.

ekchris139

Advanced Member
I had this on my DC5 few months back. Tried taking off the original IACV and gave it a proper clean but didn't fix the problem. As said some people get away with a hard drive but I didn't.

Had to get a Honda one and F**k me are they expensive for a little valve. Fixed the problem though so worth it

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Thanks for your comments guys. I might try and get it cleaned out before sourcing a replacement. It's definitely a ridiculous price for what it is!

It's been running smooth over my last few trips but it's a ticking time bomb before it will slowly get worse.

Jordan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk