Review: Area MS Yellowspeed Coilovers

Midnight

Advanced Member
Again, when my brother suggested that Rob @ Area Motorsport suggested the Yellowspeed coilovers i was extremely sceptical. Really wasn't much information about these on a DC5.

Why did we go with yellowspeed over other brands:

Not cost, we were looking at all sorts from Nitron, Bilsteins etc however my brother had a long chat with Rob and it was only then we agreed to try the yellowspeed coilovers.

Area Motorsport version:

In short the Area MS version use Eibach rear springs and the strut adjusted to suit. Top mounts are also swapped over L to R to increase castor.

Quality:

Very shiney, anodised yellow/gold everywhere. Time will tell how they hold up. Only been in the car over the weekend so can't really comment as 2 days isn't enough time to see how long they last.

Ride comfort:

This is what I'm impressed with as I've been in cars with D2, Tein, Ohlins, AST, KW, Bilsteins etc and didn't really expect much from the track version of the yellowspeed coilovers. Couldn't be more wrong. They ride over bumps as previous Bilstein B14's yet firm enough to keep the car planted through corners. I believe setting is 15 from hard front and 10 from hard rear so just past middle (at a guess).

Obviously these can be adjusted via the dampening at the top of the strut.

Overview:

Impressed! Didn't have any expectation and I think that's why I'm impressed with them. Obviously they are no Nitron but at 1/4 price would be extremely unfair to compare.

What I will say, they certainly give better confidence than Bilstein B14's and not as harsh as Tein on uneven roads.

Now time will tell how they hold up. I think if they last 2-3 years that's fair. But will update thread as the months pass.

At the moment I would say a firm 8/10 is fair however allow movement either way for the longevity of them.

Midnight

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Great review mate thanks, how are they priced against the likes of Bilsteins?
They work out a bit cheaper and no enlarging of holes to fit.

Reason we never went with the B16's is that they are designed for the EP3 so spring rates are not 100% for the DC5. While some get on with them well, every car I've personally drove with Bilsteins I've always felt them to be 'soft'.

If they can hold up against Bilstein for longevity it would really be a result. Time will tell though...

nails

Advanced Member
I have Bilstein B16's on mine, they are far from soft but then I think the previous owner left them on the stiffest setting. The car corners amazingly, but I am not a track driver so have not pushed them to the limits some people on here will have done.

The yellowspeed ones sound decent though :xhappy:

b18coupe

Advanced Member
currently running these in the mrs b18c ek9 and im very impressed with them myself, now looking at getting a set for my dc5 and have now fitted them to a customers 538bhp ep3 which was running another similar priced branded coilovers before.

He was that impressed with them over the other coilovers that he has now testing their 348mm 6 pot brakes

Midnight

Advanced Member
The whole spring rate put me and brother off when he spoke to Area Motorsport. They also sell Bilstein, but for our aim the yellowspeed seemed the better option at this point of the journey.

No doubting Bilstein quality and many on here are using them and rave about them. Just putting my opinion out there as not much information about the Area MS coilovers.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Look forward t some updates on all this as I may (depending on how my setup feels on track move to Coil Overs at the latter part of next year)

I'd be really interested to read an update on how you're getting on with them mate. Do you mind posting a link to the exact model please?

Midnight

Advanced Member
christhesecond said:
I'd be really interested to read an update on how you're getting on with them mate. Do you mind posting a link to the exact model please?
http://areamotorsport.co.uk/area-shop/yellow-speed-coilovers-dc5-integra-type-r/

They are extremely cheap considering the performance they offer on track. Can't give an opinion on longevity as only had them fitted month or so.

But on track they are perfect, on the road we've not noticed much difference from the OEM suspension in terms of ride comfort and they don't crash/bang like other brands. Tein in particular.

If they last 2-3 years we'll be happy, if they last 5 year plus it's a HUGE bonus.

For the money they are pretty much perfect. If they last it will be a great purchase 👍🏼

Hope that helps.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Well it's perfect 50-100 balance.

So I believe it's 8-16kg.

We run a 28mm ARB and R888's and the rear end grip is phenomenal but I guess it's how you drive and driving style.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Not that I've noticed no. R888's just grip! Far far superior to AD08's which seem popular on here.

In theory it should promote more oversteer but can't say I've noticed much.

No idea what standard spring rates are sorry.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Not that I've noticed no. R888's just grip! Far far superior to AD08's which seem popular on here.

In theory it should promote more oversteer but can't say I've noticed much.

No idea what standard spring rates are sorry.
Did you have AD08s before?

Midnight

Advanced Member
Tried them yes, they are good but not in same league as R888's. Will be trying AR1's next as R888's every month may work out expensive 😕

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
http://areamotorsport.co.uk/area-shop/yellow-speed-coilovers-dc5-integra-type-r/

They are extremely cheap considering the performance they offer on track. Can't give an opinion on longevity as only had them fitted month or so.

But on track they are perfect, on the road we've not noticed much difference from the OEM suspension in terms of ride comfort and they don't crash/bang like other brands. Tein in particular.

If they last 2-3 years we'll be happy, if they last 5 year plus it's a HUGE bonus.

For the money they are pretty much perfect. If they last it will be a great purchase 👍🏼

Hope that helps.
I've got Tein on the FD (bought it like it) and from a street application they ride so much better than my Meister CRD+ that I had on my DC5 there are no bangs/crashes it's seems to road compliant. I imagine the YS to be similar to the Meister. The roads are awful where I live too! 🤣

Midnight

Advanced Member
Erm can't say I've noticed. Brother lives out in the 'sticks' where it's all uneven and up/down hills and he's not mentioned anything either.

As stated, if these last they would of been a good buy. 18 month warranty also settles the nerves a bit but we'll see 👍🏼

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Erm can't say I've noticed. Brother lives out in the 'sticks' where it's all uneven and up/down hills and he's not mentioned anything either.

As stated, if these last they would of been a good buy. 18 month warranty also settles the nerves a bit but we'll see 👍🏼
I think you'll be fine mate.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Good review mate, I was massively sceptical about them too. But I've been really impressed with them so far.

They ride really well on the road and performed on track. I've had bc racing in the past and think the yellow speeds are much better.