Robbed through internet bank.

bee123

Advanced Member
My wife was signing into here bank last night, she did not follow any link she used a our favorites tag to take us to the site and whilst signing in alsorts of things started to happen a pop up came and said security check being carried out please wait. when that finally finished she got her account up only to notice £1000 had been taken out. :eek:

Shut down internet banking and informed Halifax who said yes we can see who done it and where he has sent it so we got our money back. He got into her account and set up a bill payment and sent the money to a nationwide account.

Any boffins out there know how he may of done this? just to add i did have problems with a virus a few weeks back but i thought i had got rid of it, i think it was trojan virus.

mikegsi

Staff member
ouch....

at least it got resolved though! i should check my account more regularly than i do just in case, but tyou never think it'll happen to you until it eventually does

bee123

Advanced Member
Its a nightmare, we have both closed down all of our online banking now. We had been so careful but the scum still got in. :xmad:

vtecpang

Advanced Member
Was there no reassurance from the bank?

Thats dreadful!!

What preventative measures do you have currently on you PC?

eXceed

Resident Driver
Virus may have left in either a script or software (running in the background), which could have been ignored by the antivirus after it cleaned the original threat. What I'd suggest is that you don't use McAfee/Norton and consider using something like Eset NOD32 Security Suite in future.
For now the best thing to do would be to get avasts's free antivirus tool and run Malwarebytes spyware removal (both easily found on google but pm if you need any help).
It's a shame but at least banks are getting pretty good at retrieving stolen money :).

bee123

Advanced Member
vtecpang said:
Was there no reassurance from the bank?

Thats dreadful!!
I am still waiting for them to get back to me on that one, i have told them i want the police involved and i want to know exactly how they have done it.
They were swift at shutting the internet banking down and getting our money back so am happy about that, the main problem is not knowing how they did it or maybe what we did to bring this on ourselves.

bee123

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
Virus may have left in either a script or software (running in the background), which could have been ignored by the antivirus after it cleaned the original threat. What I'd suggest is that you don't use McAfee/Norton and consider using something like Eset NOD32 Security Suite in future.
For now the best thing to do would be to get avasts's free antivirus tool and run Malwarebytes spyware removal (both easily found on google but pm if you need any help).
It's a shame but at least banks are getting pretty good at retrieving stolen money :).
I had Malwarebytes on the laptop and was running a microsoft virus protection :xconfused: not sure there was more i could do.
A friend has got it now and he is going to have a look at it.

Coupe Rob

Advanced Member
I would highly recommend Kaspersky Internet Security 2011

There is some pretty good deals out there. If you buy 2009 or 2010 you can upgrade for free to the 2011 software.

One Year Subscription via Ebay - £8.29

bee123

Advanced Member
Coupe Rob said:
I would highly recommend Kaspersky Internet Security 2011

There is some pretty good deals out there. If you buy 2009 or 2010 you can upgrade for free to the 2011 software.

One Year Subscription via Ebay - £8.29
Glad you recommend that one as its installed on my daughters laptop which we are using now.

Hoodster

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
but at least banks are getting pretty good at retrieving stolen money :).
Last year I had my card cloned (chip & pin) and had over 2k taken before I noticed I'm still trying to get my money back now the bank reckon they see no suspicous account activity and there fore refuse to accept that it wasn't me taking 250 a day from my account idiots.

bee123

Advanced Member
Hoodster said:
Last year I had my card cloned (chip & pin) and had over 2k taken before I noticed I'm still trying to get my money back now the bank reckon they see no suspicous account activity and there fore refuse to accept that it wasn't me taking 250 a day from my account idiots.
WOW :eek: thats hardcore, did you not have any idea where it could have happened?

Hoodster

Advanced Member
bee123 said:
Hoodster said:
Last year I had my card cloned (chip & pin) and had over 2k taken before I noticed I'm still trying to get my money back now the bank reckon they see no suspicious account activity and there fore refuse to accept that it wasn't me taking 250 a day from my account idiots.
WOW :eek: thats hardcore, did you not have any idea where it could have happened?
Yeah I know exactly where it happened, the police said its not a police matter and the bank don't care either so I,m left scratching my head and my ass thinking this can,t be happening.

bee123

Advanced Member
Hoodster said:
bee123 said:
Hoodster said:
Last year I had my card cloned (chip & pin) and had over 2k taken before I noticed I'm still trying to get my money back now the bank reckon they see no suspicious account activity and there fore refuse to accept that it wasn't me taking 250 a day from my account idiots.
Yeah I know exactly where it happened, the police said its not a police matter and the bank don't care either so I,m left scratching my head and my ass thinking this can,t be happening.
Not a police matter :xconfused: the countrys going to the dogs. Hope you can sort it mate.

dan_dc5

Advanced Member
Have you had any emails from your bank? And followed the link on the email to sign in?

My girlfriend fell for this one with a fake email from HSBC. They send you to a copy of the sign-in page for the appropriate bank, you attempt to sign in as normal and it comes up with some sort of sign in error, 'try again later' jobby. They now have your sign-in details and steal the money!

She did get her money back too though.

bee123

Advanced Member
dan_dc5 said:
Have you had any emails from your bank? And followed the link on the email to sign in?

My girlfriend fell for this one with a fake email from HSBC. They send you to a copy of the sign-in page for the appropriate bank, you attempt to sign in as normal and it comes up with some sort of sign in error, 'try again later' jobby. They now have your sign-in details and steal the money!

She did get her money back too though.
No we are clued up on that one, the bank seems to think they where Keystroke logging the virus lets them see the keys you are pressing? scarey or what :eek:

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I would go with what the bank told you.This sounds exactly like a trojan monitoring your activity and analysing what you typed; not anything to do with phishing.
To get infected you only need to click on one dodgy link (to do with anything), or install malware such as an infected malware removal program, etc etc.

Security is only as strong as the weakest link which is people to be frank. AV programs will always be behind the latest malware so it's important to keep them up to date regardless of which vendor it is. You can only do what you are already doing but be even more vigilant when carrying out any user initiated activities e.g. following links (even if sent by your friends!), downloading any programs etc etc.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Does sound like a trojan virus to me as well, Avast antivirus is a good bit of software, and its free.

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index