RSX-S vs. TYPE-R - The smaller differences

Kinli

Advanced Member
Not sure if this has been covered before, but it would be interesting to see what you guys have found.

We all know the basics, K20A vs. K20A2, LSD vs. open diff, colors, RHD vs. LHD, Brembo vs. crap, cool interior vs. booring interior, etc.

But what about the small difference?
This is what I have found so far (and can remember):

The clutch line is one mm fatter (on the chassis side) in the Type-R.
The shifter is different as the Type-R uses solid mounting and the RSX-S uses rubber bushings (the throw might differ too, not sure)
The shifter cables are different. One of the cables have a smaller gearbox end and a smaller rubber bushing than the RSX-S.
Type-R Restraints (front, never checked the rear ones) are made by Takata and if I remember correctly, lacks EU / US approval... ;)
The SRS system is different probably because RSX has airbags in the seats. Thus the steering wheel airbag uses a different connector.
The Type-R uses a larger diameter B-pipe.
The middle floor bar is made out of Aluminum in the Type-R and is stronger & lighter than the steel version in the RSX
The RSX lacks a rear strut bar
Type-R rear sway bar is 3mm fatter. Front sway bar is the same, but it has a different shape.
Type-R and RSX shares the same taillight housing (prefacelift), but the RSX has the additional sidelight installed or activated.
The Type-R uses JIS standard battery terminals (RSX uses SAE).
The Type-R front lower arm is made out of aluminum not steel like RSX and has a different shape (needs JDM front sway bar and JDM axles). Also, the type-r bushings are solid when RSX uses bushings with holes
Spare wheel is aluminum in the Type-R

eXceed

Resident Driver
The Type R has a Type R badge on the rear and Type R decals on the side behind the door :lol: - sorry couldn't resist!

armjoker

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
The Type R has a Type R badge on the rear and Type R decals on the side behind the door :lol: - sorry couldn't resist!
RSX can have it too :xlol: sorry couldn't resist!

Stylesa

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Another good post , you have too much time on your hands!!
+1

eXceed said:
What about the red 'H' badge too?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
armjoker said:
eXceed said:
We are talking about STD factory cars here from Honda so the RSX can't have type r badges from new.

Kinli

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
armjoker said:
eXceed said:
We are talking about STD factory cars here from Honda so the RSX can't have type r badges from new.
And neither can they have red H or any colored H-badges as we are talking about a Acura...

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Power folding mirrors (C pack specific of course) I believe :?:

..and fender liners. I think the rsx ones don't have brake duct holes :?:

GEORGE TYPE-S

Advanced Member
A few more things if you want to add/correct your first post:

All for 02-04 USDM (In Canada)
Type R is Single Stage SRS / Type S is Dual Stage.
Type R has Recaro seats / Type S has leather heated seats.
Type R has no side lights on the tail lights / Type S has a side light in the tail lights.
Type R has a spare that can clear Brembo Calipers / Type S has a regular spare that cannot clear Brembo calipers
Type R has a red valve cover / Type S has a gray one.
Type R has a silver spark plug cover / Type S has a black spark plug cover.
Type R is 17" standard / Type S is 16" Standard (17" on 05-06)
Type R have lock/unlock switches on driver side / Type S has it on both sides
Type R fender liners have the brake duct adapter/ Type S does not.
Type R rear bumper does not have holes to mount the license plate / Type S plates mounts using the top piece of the bumper.
Type R steering has Momo written on it, Type S does not.
Type R has Brembo Calipers up front, Type S does not.
Type R rear calipers can retain more brake fluid than the Type S.
Type R door panels are color matched to the Recaro seats / Type S door panels are leather in black.
Type R has a stiffer and lower suspension (by one inch) than the Type S.
Type R comes standard with a spoiler / Type S spoiler is an option (known as the A-Spec spoiler).
Type R axle back has a longer tip straight cut / Type S axle back is an angled cut (on 05-06).
Type R mid pipe is bigger than the 02-04 Type S but identical (same part number) as the 05-06.
Type R axle back has a valve opening inside / Type S does not have that.
Type R can sit "3" on the back seat, Type S can only sit 2 due to the tray on the bench.
Type R has a 15mm wider stance than the Type S.
Type R wheels are 60mm offset, Type S is 45mm offset.
Type R control arms are aluminum, Type S are not.
Type R rear sway bar is thicker than the Type S.
Type R has pedal covers, Type S does not.
Type R has the brake duct system, Type S does not.
Type R has side markers, Type S does not.
Type R has a color match front grill on the top of the front bumper, Type S comes in black.
Type R has painted nose pieces for the front emblem, Type S does not.
Type R does not have a Bose Subwoofer in the spare, like the Type S.
Type R does not have the rear trunk cover, like the Type S.
Type R has H.I.D. as an option, Type S does not.
Type R center console has no built in tray like the Type S.
Type R center console can store 2 cups, Type S can store 3.
Type R shift knob is aluminum, Type S is plastic.
Type R has stock cd player, Type S has a 6 CD Changer with casette.
Type R has power folding mirrors / Type S has heated mirrors.
Type R has a coin holder / Type S does not.
Type R has no sunroof / Type S does.
Type R has no map lights upfront / Type S does.

The Lum

Advanced Member
Interesting point about the Type S having heated mirrors as its something I could be doing with on my Type R. Well certainly more so than power folding mirrors.

Grov

Banned
The Lum said:
Interesting point about the Type S having heated mirrors as its something I could be doing with on my Type R. Well certainly more so than power folding mirrors.
Yeah, you'd think with Honda bothering with folding one's, they would of made them heated as well, they were on my CTR. Think is you need to de-ice the side windows anyways, so it doesn't really make much difference.

Quite a few differences then really. Im surprised at some of the stuff the Type S has, heated seats for one.

Stoo

Whining.....
Type R HID option is incorrect

HIDs are standard factory fit, nit an option.

Kinli

Advanced Member
GEORGE TYPE-S said:
This is what I'm talking about. Small technical details that you can't find out from a brochure.

...and the type-r axle back IS cut in an angle.

GEORGE TYPE-S

Advanced Member
Kinli said:
GEORGE TYPE-S said:
This is what I'm talking about. Small technical details that you can't find out from a brochure.

...and the type-r axle back IS cut in an angle.
The exhaust tip is a straight cut compared to a 05-06 Type S.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Stoo said:
Type R HID option is incorrect

HIDs are standard factory fit, nit an option.
that's what I thought... wonder if that's the case if the light housing is the same as an RSX? i.e. if your have dirty DC5 front lights, replace them off ebay for cheap :D