Rust!!! How Bad is this and How Do I Make it Go Away!!!

gaza4

Advanced Member
ok so i have this lil patch of rust on the inside of the passenger quarter panel. you can see the fuel filer top right and the white clip is i believe part of the plastic that the rear bumper clips into

how bad is this and is there anything i can do to sort it out???

Thanks!!!

lewis87

Advanced Member
Doesn‘t look too bad compared to some old jap cars I‘ve had. Is there anything visible from the outside of the panel?

I would take it back to bare metal and see if there are any holes. You might be able to do that and just treat it with some anti corrosion acid and some good paint.

gaza4

Advanced Member
lewis87 said:
Doesn‘t look too bad compared to some old jap cars I‘ve had. Is there anything visible from the outside of the panel?

I would take it back to bare metal and see if there are any holes. You might be able to do that and just treat it with some anti corrosion acid and some good paint.
nothing visable outside but gonna remove the bumper and bumper clip tomorrow to take a look.

got any product recommendations? i've been looking into Hammerites Kurust

lewis87

Advanced Member
I‘ve only used Jenolite myself when dealing with rusty stuff and have always been pleased with it. I‘ve heard good things about bilt hamber as well.

It doesn‘t look bad really, I certainly wouldn‘t be firing up my welder for that. Get it all cleaned up and painted and see how it progresses if at all.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Grind the worst of it of then Bilt hamber Deox C gel. Leave it.sat in it over night. After that clean with a degreaser like Sufex HD and follow up with a coating of Electrox

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

gaza4

Advanced Member
seems like i can get most of the bilt hamber stuff handy enough locally so i'll probly give that a go

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Until you start tackling it you won't know how bad it is but you'll be glad you've got it on the inside because the rust will eat it's way to the outside.

It might be worth checking around about for moisture. These cars are bad for letting water in through old and cracked seam sealant.

If you're extra keen and got some spare time at the moment then jump into the back seats and take out the rear speakers. Shove your phone and torch in. It's a box section which is at the other end of the wheel arch you've pictured above. It's another area that can rust. I scrubbed back some dirt and light light surface rust and then nuked the area with some waxoyl. Smells for a few days but better than rust arches!

Jordan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
It clear waxoyl but I put my hand in after and I can ensure you it's well protected!

gaza4

Advanced Member
JordanSuth said:
Until you start tackling it you won't know how bad it is but you'll be glad you've got it on the inside because the rust will eat it's way to the outside.

It might be worth checking around about for moisture. These cars are bad for letting water in through old and cracked seam sealant.

If you're extra keen and got some spare time at the moment then jump into the back seats and take out the rear speakers. Shove your phone and torch in. It's a box section which is at the other end of the wheel arch you've pictured above. It's another area that can rust. I scrubbed back some dirt and light light surface rust and then nuked the area with some waxoyl. Smells for a few days but better than rust arches!

Jordan

i have the entire boot and back seat already stripped out so i will have a proper look down there tomorrow. cant see any moisture though

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
gaza4 said:
i have the entire boot and back seat already stripped out so i will have a proper look down there tomorrow. cant see any moisture though
With the back seats out... take off the door sills trim and pull up the carpet and check for any moisture under there. With the back seats out you can feel under both rear seats footwell. Worth putting your hand under the front footwell too. Although it might not feel damp from the carpet on top, moisture and damp can sit under there for years and ruin your floor. Seen quite a few rust through!

Jordan

gaza4

Advanced Member
JordanSuth said:
With the back seats out... take off the door sills trim and pull up the carpet and check for any moisture under there. With the back seats out you can feel under both rear seats footwell. Worth putting your hand under the front footwell too. Although it might not feel damp from the carpet on top, moisture and damp can sit under there for years and ruin your floor. Seen quite a few rust through!

Jordan

i'll be doin a proper check over everything while i'm this far. that inner arch seems to be the worst although there is one or two point on the behind the rear bumper where there is rust between the seam so not sure how to sort that one yet

gaza4

Advanced Member
JordanSuth said:

Jordan

finally got around to checking in behind the speakers and sure enough theres a good bit in there. whats the best way to remove this before treatment? its too tight to go at it with a wire brush and i dont think i would ever get a removal gel like deox back out!!!

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Flexible attachment for a dremel and ALOT of wire wheels?

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Agreed, that's quite bad mate but at least you've found it now and not poking a hole on the other side.

You'll get slightly better access if you remove the whole rear trim.

20Drift

Members
Staff member
You'd probably be ok with using something like Jenolite or Kurust as it dries onto the rust. May take a few coats but that should neutralise it ready for some paint.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
20Drift said:
You'd probably be ok with using something like Jenolite or Kurust as it dries onto the rust. May take a few coats but that should neutralise it ready for some paint.
It needs to be taken back first. That's a bit beyond light surface rust at the minute. Once the worst of it is off you can coat it with something like hydrate 80, then some.zinc primer like Electrox leave it a few days then get some S50 on there.

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
The only issue is how to get the stuff off! I‘ve got some jenolite converter and s50 ready to go but notnidea how to get the old stuff off inside the arches especially right in the corner by the skirt

gaza4

Advanced Member
rsmithinfo said:
The only issue is how to get the stuff off! I‘ve got some jenolite converter and s50 ready to go but notnidea how to get the old stuff off inside the arches especially right in the corner by the skirt
i used a combination of wire brushing, drilling with different wire/poly wheels and a few goes of Deox Gel to get as much as possible out. when you remove the side skirt the holes for the clips provide a nice drain for when your washing out the dirt after

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
Not sure I want to take my skirts off. I bet it‘s a horror show underneath :) good shout though on getting a hole to get the crap out. I‘ll see if I can get my drill in another day!

gaza4

Advanced Member
rsmithinfo said:
Not sure I want to take my skirts off. I bet it‘s a horror show underneath :) good shout though on getting a hole to get the crap out. I‘ll see if I can get my drill in another day!
best the get the skirts off. if you look at Jordans oic above you'll see the white and black the retaining clips. they are just gonna get in the way while your trying to wire wheel the rust.

depending on the size of your drill you should get it inside the panel. you might need to get it in without a tool or battery but it should work once you have the plastic panel off