Rust or old underseal?

BenDC5

Hi all,

recently got a DC5 and was changing the rear number plate and noticed this stuff behind the bumper and was wondering what it is.

The car was actually a grade 6 import at the time back in 2007, the rest of the car is very clean and has had the underneath and arches under sealed, not sure about behind the bumpers though, i would hope so.

When the weather picks up again im going to sort this area of the car out and clean it all up, which products would you guys recommend?

Attachments

wocka

Advanced Member
It‘s definitely been under sealed at some point but not for a long time looking at the pics. I would try and get all the old stuff off before you apply any new stuff, see what‘s underneath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Looks like old S50, but top of the first poc looks like some bad rust set in.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

lewis87

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Looks like old S50, but top of the first poc looks like some bad rust set in.
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Is that rust in the top picture not just the rear light brackets which are quite often very rusty as they are a mild steel with very little paint on them? The actual body of the car looks covered in under seal and pretty solid looking. Does look like bilt hamber stuff like you say.

Marky.

The number plate bracket is notorious for rusting. There are so many narrow edges for rust to creep in, plus it can hide rust behind the plate where it attaches to the rear panel.
My rear end was very clean when I applied rust protection to it, but when I removed the number plate bracket there was rust behind the plate joints. I'd defo take it off and have a look. I then used stainless hardware to re-attach.

LeeH

Advanced Member
Defiantly some Japanese tin worm in there. Don't just plaster on new until all that has been removed and treated. Look on the Bilt Hamber site.

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
Looks much better than mine did. Wire wheel it all off and treat it! I didn‘t take off my number plate support as they‘re security nuts and I don‘t have grinder