Rusty arch

alimujahid_dc5

Hey guys,

A common issue most of us have faced but apart from stripping and respraying what other alternatives is there?

I have a small rust growing on one arch! -_-

I am thinking to roll the arches and applying some sort of anti rust spray to prevent further rusting as it will hide the rust away and hopefully not show on to the panel...

Your thoughts and advice would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
No easy way unfortunately.

The metal work around the arch is double skinned, moisture will get trapped and creep through from the inside I'm afraid. Best thing to do... If you strip the boot lining out completely to the metal work, in all the cavities down the side you shall see the inside layer of the arch. If this is really rusty you will need to try and stop this getting worse. Even if you were to spray the outside it would still creep through again over a few months if untrewated or cured elswhere.

Your best bet is to strip the rear in the boot and inspect / sand off / protect from the inside, also remove the speakers in the back to get a look at the bottom of the rear arches arches too to see how they are holding up. At best, get some cavity wax sprayed in there to prevent anything if there isn't already.

As for the outside, I guess rolling it would make it less visible, but the current state its in you may risk cracking paint / flaking bits of rust off and making it worse. And if its not made its way through yet it could start to bubble on the bit you would see...who knows. only real way is to cure it on the inside, and take it right back to bare metal and repair / respray on the outside. Out of sight, out of mind will not work in this case. haha

If you are lucky and nothing gets cracked or broke during the arch rolling process then yes in theory you could remove it all yourself and have a go and painting it with something, (eg POR15) but like I said, if you only touch the outside, it will still more than likely re appear again soon. Find it on the inside and stop it too :)

Good luck

jrscho

Advanced Member
Best bet is stripping and spraying like you said. Get the job done properly the first time! Get a good bodyshop to cut out the rust and weld in a new panel.

Rolling the arches may make it worse, as it kind of stretches the metal as you bend it back and it could crack along the where the rust is

jrscho

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
No easy way unfortunately.

The metal work around the arch is double skinned, moisture will get trapped and creep through from the inside I'm afraid. Best thing to do... If you strip the boot lining out completely to the metal work, in all the cavities down the side you shall see the inside layer of the arch. If this is really rusty you will need to try and stop this getting worse. Even if you were to spray the outside it would still creep through again over a few months if untrewated or cured elswhere.

Your best bet is to strip the rear in the boot and inspect / sand off / protect from the inside, also remove the speakers in the back to get a look at the bottom of the rear arches arches too to see how they are holding up. At best, get some cavity wax sprayed in there to prevent anything if there isn't already.

As for the outside, I guess rolling it would make it less visible, but the current state its in you may risk cracking paint / flaking bits of rust off and making it worse. And if its not made its way through yet it could start to bubble on the bit you would see...who knows. only real way is to cure it on the inside, and take it right back to bare metal and repair / respray on the outside. Out of sight, out of mind will not work in this case. haha

If you are lucky and nothing gets cracked or broke during the arch rolling process then yes in theory you could remove it all yourself and have a go and painting it with something, (eg POR15) but like I said, if you only touch the outside, it will still more than likely re appear again soon. Find it on the inside and stop it too :)

Good luck
There's a better Answer hahaha! :)

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I removed all boot trim and sprayed a load of waxoyl down either side so it filled the gaps. Unfortunately the car was fumed out for about a month haha!
Also, which is probably not to many peoples taste but I masked off half of the width of the lip and brushed on the black waxoyl and also filled the area above the lip too. Slapped it all on above so it's fully sealed.
From the outside if looking from below you can see a line of black waxoyl but hardly noticeable on a blue car

Kellsled

Advanced Member
Stripping won't fix it, needs cut out and new metal put in, stripping is only temporary option

truupR

Advanced Member
I'm about to book mine in again for the same problem.. Treated it in the past but it was clearly only a temporary fix. One year on and its back just as bad as before.

I've asked for it to be stripped right back but you've got me worried now Kellsled :(

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Yep,best way is to get it stripped,new piece of metal welded in and re-sprayed.Just had mine done,is brand new again xthumbup

dave7368

Advanced Member
best fix for arches is to cut them out and bin them before they have a chance to go rusty :xhappy:

Fez

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
best fix for arches is to cut them out and bin them before they have a chance to go rusty :xhappy:

I want to be this manly :'(

I had one of mine done at the begining of the year and now its come back already :( so when i can spare some money i'll have it done again, and probably other stuff lol

MrRy

Advanced Member
As above, it needs cutting out to bare metal, new metal welded in, smoothed and prepped, undercoat and paint with a fully sealed lip to stop it from coming back. Some DC5's have up to a 3mm gap in parts between the inner and outer seem under the lip of the arches, some have less than 1mm, but they all have a gap from what I have seen. If it's been done once before properly, it should never come back unless there have been stone chips.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
My arches are currently rust free. I am coating the inside of the arches with some S50 this weekend.

Am I being too naive in that this will prevent rust for the foreseeable future or am I just prolonging the inevitable?

spooke

Advanced Member
kyle'87 said:
My arches are currently rust free. I am coating the inside of the arches with some S50 this weekend.

Am I being too naive in that this will prevent rust for the foreseeable future or am I just prolonging the inevitable?
That Dynax S50 has some good reviews/tests, I think it will outlast ownership. Need to get some for mine too!

MrRy

Advanced Member
spooke said:
That Dynax S50 has some good reviews/tests, I think it will outlast ownership. Need to get some for mine too!
I've seen first hand how good the S50 stuff is on my mates DC2 Turbo and it is awesome. I'm getting some for my missus EP3 rear quarters as they are showing signs of surface corrosion in parts.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
spooke said:
MrRy said:
I've seen first hand how good the S50 stuff is on my mates DC2 Turbo and it is awesome. I'm getting some for my missus EP3 rear quarters as they are showing signs of surface corrosion in parts.
You guys are certainly building it up :xgrin: to be fair I did do some reading into the tests and they seem to have good results, even a guy representing S50 on detailing world showed creep tests that looked good.

I have ordered a 750ml can from Opie Oils FYI, I looked on Amazon and it worked out the same price but Opie Oils had a better delivery window.

YENRAV

Advanced Member
I'm going through this nightmare at the moment.

Owned the car for around 12 years now but shown it abit of neglect in recent times. Weekend toy really.

Any advice/stories from guys who have attacked this?