Rusty Nuts.. there are worst names to be called!

Teggs

I guess we've all had this problem at one time or another, but no need to be ashamed. Getting dug into trying to sort out some bodywork issues and saw a great video on youtube for problematic bolt removal, well worth a look...

I've had similar issues to rsmithinfo (great write ups by the way, very helpful, cheers brother!) with the back bumper beams (below the rear lights). Over the course of today, I've gone thru 3 consequtive rusted and sheared bolts (I sheared the bolt on the NS upper rear light retaining bolt).

1st attempt (on the rear light bolt) (difficult working positions) I ended up just drilling to oblivion and am now missing this bolt (an intergral part of the lamp fitting as far as I can see)

2nd attempt (NS Bumper beam inner) absolutley rusted to buggery, a bit of filing and WD40 and tried to attack it as per Delboys method, didn't go too well and got a bit over zealous with the drill again but it came free in the end, albeit leaving approx 50% of the bolt intact, probably enough to bodge a secure refixing.

3rd attempt on the other side inner rear beam, I doubled up on Delboys (i.e. go from two sides) method but with a bit of extra drilling with a larger diameter bit to 'break' the bolt. From 2 opposite directions, small drill bit 1st (2-3mm) and then onto about a 6mm, and like I said from both sides, then tapping with a punch was really easy and managed to get it off and bolt is fully intact, nut is f'd but that is no problem.

Every day's a school day!