SAINSBURY'S INSURANCE RESULT!!!

jay.dee

Advanced Member
Quoted £800 for 1 exhaust and a few visual/trim mods, no points, FCB, Notts City!!! Been paying £400 less with A Plan for years now....

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Just done a quick quote with sainsbo's no mods however came in at £240

That is cheap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
alan-lee said:
Just done a quick quote with sainsbo's no mods however came in at £240

That is cheap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I renewed mine with them last week, with my dad on there, breakdown cover etc for £304, which is lower than it was last year after I added my dad. Can't fault them yet. Fingers crossed I'll never need to find out how they are after an accident!

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Its renewal time for me and just received a cracking quote from Sainsburys, however just read the FAQs.

https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/insuring/support/car/support-ins-car-faqs-prejune#accordion-item-1-2

In particular:

Can I cover a personally imported car?
Yes, but only if the car is, or has been, available as a standard production model in the UK and has a UK registration number. We don‘t cover Japanese imports.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but surely this statement negates pretty much all our DC5 insurance with them doesn't it?

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Bewesy said:
Its renewal time for me and just received a cracking quote from Sainsburys, however just read the FAQs.

https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/insuring/support/car/support-ins-car-faqs-prejune#accordion-item-1-2

In particular:

Can I cover a personally imported car?
Yes, but only if the car is, or has been, available as a standard production model in the UK and has a UK registration number. We don‘t cover Japanese imports.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but surely this statement negates pretty much all our DC5 insurance with them doesn't it?
Well that's strange as i had my DC5 and now my FD2 both with them.

T.G.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Its the bit where it says - Can I cover a personally imported car?
it's that bit that is the get out clause for us as we didn't personally import the car, both mine came in through Torque GT ;)

T.G.

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Topgeezer said:
Its the bit where it says - Can I cover a personally imported car?
it's that bit that is the get out clause for us as we didn't personally import the car, both mine came in through Torque GT ;)

T.G.
Totally agree, but when they say 'personally imported' do they mean as in not a manufacturer (Honda) imported?.

I would have thought any grey area would automatically will go in the insurers favour wouldn't it?

I might ring them to clarify :)

Bewesy

Advanced Member
So I've just spoken to a nice lady at Sainsburys about this and she went off to have a chat with her supervisor and they both agree that a Japanese imported DC5 is covered, despite what it says on their website.

I expressed my concerns about that specific statement in the FAQs and they were unsure why it even says that, and wonder if its just outdated information.

Anyway, panic over, all is well xthumbup

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Bewesy said:
So I've just spoken to a nice lady at Sainsburys about this and she went off to have a chat with her supervisor and they both agree that a Japanese imported DC5 is covered, despite what it says on their website.

I expressed my concerns about that specific statement in the FAQs and they were unsure why it even says that, and wonder if its just outdated information.

Anyway, panic over, all is well xthumbup
I would want it in writing juuuuuust incase. ;)

MrRy

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
I would want it in writing juuuuuust incase. ;)
Exactly, this guy knows. An insurance company is just a cold hearted business relying on you never making a claim or never paying out, that is the business model, and nothing comes before that. A successful company does everything they can to pay out as little as possible in every aspect of a claim. They just put friendly people on the front line, nice marketing, introduce themselves on forums and pretend to offer free advice, etc, but it is all just a con as the industry is not regulated properly by the government so they often get away with murder unless you have the right legal team and authorities behind you. End of.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Sainsbury were about 90 quid cheaper for me too. But, because of the grey areas and potential for hassle, I just went through a local broker.

More expensive, but all mods etc declared and peace of mind.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Sainsbury were about 90 quid cheaper for me too. But, because of the grey areas and potential for hassle, I just went through a local broker.

More expensive, but all mods etc declared and peace of mind.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Was the same with me hence staying with GreenLight despite being more expensive. I mean I can PM them on here if needed!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Green light would not insure me with my partner on the DC5 which shocked me as its far from powerful compared to some of my other cars,

Sainsbury's is who I'm going with, called and they confirmed everything is ok and they know it's an import, very good package and the only thing not covered is the Nurburgring if I drive to Germany next yeah with the other half for a break.

They are insuring imports and modified ones and I think they are coming out with good prices

Maybe greenlight will offer a decent price next year...

Quick update:

If you have more than one nectar card in the house insurance quote on one used most as gets money off, just reduced my premium but an extra £22 so I'm now paying £90 more than on my mg zr 1.4 :)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Looks like UK insurance limited underwrite Sainsbury's, who also underwrite Direct Line... who have been insuring DC5s for years. Their quotes normally favour those with pretty decent driving history, over 30 and high NCB etc.

In the event of a claim and your car isn't standard, I would never discount the effectiveness of having someone broker your policy who understands modifications and what they do.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Completely agree mate so whilst insuring mine I explained the modifications and advised I was making note of the call and times and what was said for reference if anything went wrong, as their response was that " all parts noted will be insured and covered and replaced in the event of an accident/incident "

I am 36, 14yrs ncb no points etc etc and in a low crime area so got mine for £310.20 fully comp with modifications (currently on the car) declared but I do max 6k miles a year as I walk to work etc :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Guys I'm insured with Sainsbury's and until today had only good things to say about them and the amazing price they gave me. However they are now 100% losing me as a customer conexrebewal for the following reasons.

1) whoever told you they have changed underwriters is losing, or the woman Dee I spoke too is as she told me they have not changed underwriters and she's worked there 14 years.

2) I won't be covered if I fit a strut brace to my car as this is a performance mod that adds bhp. They will insure lowering, exhausts, air filters, manifolds but not a strut brace... wtf? Never heard of this in me 20 odd years of driving.

So my mugens are staying off until renewal time.

Seems they have no idea on things which concerns me now.

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Wierd, I rang them yesterday to remove the Spec D headlights and put them back as OEM ones, and they charged me a £14 admin fee and that was all. When I moved house, added the Tegiwa intake, and originally out the aftermarket headlights on, they didn't even charge me the admin fee.

jown

Advanced Member
6 years no claims and they want £1500... wow

then I go on money super market and get a quote for £404

Insurance is so strange... I live in a low crime area