Shaking/vibration under acceleration

Tbre1994

Hi guys,

Apologies if this topic has been covered before, after driving home from japfest today I noticed the car has developed a shaking/shuddering under acceleration predominantly at around 60mph. Doesn't seem to matter which gear I'm in and I can confirm it only happens when pushing on the throttle.

The tyres have just been changed at tgm so I'm convinced it's not due to wheel balancing. I've got a new front engine mount and the others appear to be okay visually. Any help would really be appreciated as I'd like to get it sorted ASAP, thank you

Tom

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Dc5mo

I doubt it‘s anything to be too concerned about but it‘s better to get checked out. It does sound like wheel balancing you sure none of the weights have come off? It can happen. Also I had same problem on my old Lexus GS300 nobody could figure it out no mechanic in the end after selling the car and keeping the wheels we switched them to another vehicle and on the motorway around 60mph used to get that feeling sometimes it used to feel like it‘s in the steering but in the end found out it was one of the wheels has a slight buckle which caused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Driveshafts. You‘ll have to research which one via a ramp/ mechanic, or which CV joint needs replacing.

Does it stop when coasting / lifting off throttle?

Tbre1994

Jimmer said:
Driveshafts. You‘ll have to research which one via a ramp/ mechanic, or which CV joint needs replacing.

Does it stop when coasting / lifting off throttle?
Thanks for the feedback, yeah it does at around 60mph when the shake starts I let off the throttle and it goes completely, and then continues when reapplying the throttle

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
100% driveshaft related. I‘ve had outer and inner cv joints go...just a pain to diagnose which one it is. Get it on a ramp and it‘s much much easier :)

Tbre1994

Thanks bud I'll get it up on the ramp this week, any recommendations on buying new parts and where to source?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Tbre1994 said:
Thanks bud I'll get it up on the ramp this week, any recommendations on buying new parts and where to source?

Steels Honda, ask for Dave. Also try Cox Honda Motors or Lings Honda as well, all decent for parts. Honda DC5 driveshafts are around £600 but you may get away with just an EP3 outer shaft I believe. There's someone on ebay that sells DC5 shafts but they're not original Honda. Jap service parts also sell a non-original Honda EP3 outer driveshaft. Hope that helps.

Tbre1994

Thanks mate much appreciated, i'll look into this as I don't think I can quite justify £600 for OEM!
will an alignment be required after carrying out the work?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Tbre1994 said:
Thanks mate much appreciated, i'll look into this as I don't think I can quite justify £600 for OEM!
will an alignment be required after carrying out the work?
Yes it's that price for a full driveshaft but you'll probably only need an outer joint. I'm suffering from exactly the same problem lol.

Yes it will need a fresh alignment. Are you on the standard suspension or uprated?

Tbre1994

Right okay mate cheers, getting up on the ramp tonight to have a further look and hopefully identify the issue. hopefully it wont break the bank!

I'm on meisterr coilovers and eibach camber arms mate

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'd take it back to TGM to set it up again once the work has been done.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tbre1994

I can confirm that the issue was down to BOTH front drive shafts worn on both inners, very strange to see both so worn. But two replacement shafts and fresh alignment cured the issue

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Great to hear you've sorted it out but expensive I'm sure!

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk