Shell closed - need some reassurance

chrex

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

My worst nightmare about moving to my new base has happened...the local Shell that was really the only one within reasonable distance has closed. I am OCD with my fuel - will drive anywhere to find VPower, but now the closest is 45mins away :(

So i have had to put in Tesco 99 as its the closest to Vpower around here, but i just can't get the niggle out my head that it's not good stuff.

Does anyone use it regularly and is it trustworthy? Any AFR readings done on dynos and all that, just so i know that i can trust this stuff to not destroy my engine. I trust Shell 100% as its the only fuel i've ever run my cars on...so having to put something else in has broken me :(

Chris

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Ive used normal tesco unleaded for the last 2 + 1/2 years and never had a days bother

scottj15

Advanced Member
I used Tesco Momentum regularly a few years back. Was pretty impressed by it to be honest and internet reviews say its on par if not better than V-Power. I wouldnt worry too much dude

chrex

Advanced Member
Ok cool, thanks guys. I'll admit i am a fuel snob, but only because i know i can trust the VPower's quality. I'm not a fan of supermarket fuels tbh but id rather use the Mom99 than any 97Ron stuff.

will88

Ive always used momentum as theres one near work and one near home and ita always been fine, my mates used it in his rx7 and r32 gtr and never had issues!!

Erm

Advanced Member
I used it for about 2 years straight as didn't have a shell and had no issues with it... do prefer shell fuel, get more out of a tank with it, luckily for me the opposite happened and a shell opened locally now so I use that, but have no issues with momentum 99, is my second choice... much prefer it to BP ultimate, never using that again... pretty sure thats just fumes, didn't last very long.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I always use bp fuel as I dont have shell garage near me and had few issues with Tesco 99 ( water in fuel ) and must disagree with bp fuel being crap on milage. Just last week I managed 405 miles on 45 litres of fuel which included 20+ miles of tuning at eurospec which works out at 40.9 mpg.
Next tank of fuel with more town milage I averaged 37mpg so pretty good I would say.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I used Tesco 99 last week and the car was deffinitely a bit underpowered compared to normal. After going back to Shell it felt more alive again.

chrex

Advanced Member
I'm hoping Shell will be planning to replace the garage they have sold off to Texaco as they really haven't got another one around here - and it's not like its a quiet area. They put it in the right place it will get plenty of business! I've got 3 weeks leave through to September and then im back here - i havent got a BP local, so the Tesco 99 is going to have to do if Shell don't screw the nut and get something sorted! :(

Ezza

Advanced Member
Im surrounded by Shell Garages where i live, 2 stations have recently converted by other brands to shell. Think i have about 4 within a 1-2 mile radius

chrex

Advanced Member
Yea...back home on the Wirral they are all over, but down here...seems not to be :(

chrex

Advanced Member
Just got back after a fooking awesome drive home. However, I lost about 80-100miles on the usual usage. It was the best drive I've had in the teg, but it wasn't as sharp overtaking or pulling out of bends.
So...defo notice a difference when using even half a tank of something that isn't vpower.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've started using Shell now mainly V power on my friend's recommendation but still use the occasional Tesco 95 RON or whatever crap it is. When I had my B20 EK9 I used to use the normal Tesco 95/97 RON stuff and the car was horrendous, definitely lost loads of pull so started using Asda's normal equivalent instead and the car absolutely flew.

Now I haven't used the Asda stuff in the DC5 so can't comment on what it's like, it might not be as effective in the K series than in the B series but it definitely ran better. TBH I'm not that bothered what I put in it as I personally don't feel any real massive gains in performance whatever fuel is in so I just bang anything in ha ha!

chrex

Advanced Member
Well it was the momentum99 I used. You dont really notice the step up, but you put anything else in that ain't vpower...and you notice the step down. Wouldn't even consider the 95ron stuff!