Shell V-Power

lockwood77

Advanced Member
It is really 100RON in Europe? It's 99RON here: Shell V-Power Website (Optimax was replaced by V-Power in the UK a few months ago).

If it was a full 2RON higher, it might be worth it, but I would have thought you'd see an improvement without remapping anyway? Otherwise, how would standard cars see an improvement just by using higher octane fuel (see Evo magazine fuel test amongst others)?

My knowledge of the KPro is limited, does anyone know if it's missing features that an OEM ECU has? Or is the increased power of higher octane fuel simply a mechanical thing anyway?

JT3173

Advanced Member
It says 100 RON on the pump. :?

I can feel the benifit of the fuel, I had a drop left in the tank of the 98 stuff that I had to use on the way over here, I then filled it today with my favourite V Power and noticed a a bit of a difference in the pick up of the car. :D

May have to consider sorting the K Pro for the 100

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting post,
I can say i exclusivly use BP ultimate as i find it the most consistent, If i use boggo 97 or tesco 99 there is a marked reduction in performance.

If the ecu can advance the timing until it knocks(pinks) then using a higher octane fuel is an advantage, however i don't beleive the std ecu has enough scope to boost the performance, it might just make it back to the Jap spec it came with,

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
I can say i exclusivly use BP ultimate as i find it the most consistent
Me too mate, always thought V-Power was over rated myself. Unless it's the German stuff as mentioned above, that was good in my standard CTR.

Don't think getting the car mapped for 100 RON is worth it mate.

drivebymonkey

Advanced Member
from getting my car at the beginning of the year i only ever used tesco 99 RON, only because (like some others on here) i thought V-power was a bit of a con, being more expensive for the same or similar petrol.

Having got to work one day i was right on the red and the nearesr petrol station was a shell garage, i had to fill up so i got V-power.

IMO the difference was impressive, the car seemed to pull stronger, the power was 'there' quicker and it lasted longer. I was getting about 260 miles out of a tank of tesco fuel and with v power i get about 280, not a huge amount i know but a marked difference.

it converted me anyway!! :D :D

drivebymonkey

Advanced Member
from getting my car at the beginning of the year i only ever used tesco 99 RON, only because (like some others on here) i thought V-power was a bit of a con, being more expensive for the same or similar petrol.

Having got to work one day i was right on the red and the nearesr petrol station was a shell garage, i had to fill up so i got V-power.

IMO the difference was impressive, the car seemed to pull stronger, the power was 'there' quicker and it lasted longer. I was getting about 260 miles out of a tank of tesco fuel and with v power i get about 280, not a huge amount i know but a marked difference.

it converted me anyway!! :D :D

JT3173

Advanced Member
Yeh, I dont think I will get it re mapped for V Power 100, cant gain that much I dont think as it is mapped for UK V-Power.
Yes, I get better MPG too, on the Autobahn at 80-90 MPH I saw 320 miles to a tank! :D
Next time I go anywhere I will try for ITR DC5 record, dont know what that is but I would imagine to do it you would need to have a still day, plenty of down hill, no A/C, at 80 MPH and no more in 6th with a gentle right foot and some loud music to keep me awake, not to mention the drink that gives you wings! :lol:

gregb

Advanced Member
Found a Shell doing 100 ron v-power racing fuel on my travels close by the other day and at $1.45 liter.
Have always used 98 ron v-power previously and my Kpro is set for 95 ron Irish muck.
Haven`t seen much differences yet between strenghts.
Must give it a try.

mikegsi

Staff member
i only use shell v-power in my teg, her golf gets whatever nearest!

v-power is about 4p per litre cheaper than bp ultimate round here, and we are quite unusual in that we dont have a tesco's store! so none of that either!

dazza

Advanced Member
I've only used Shell, Optimax then over to V-Power so don't really have a comparison with other fuels.
Never had any problems with the stuff and the car always pulls nice and strong :D
The only thing is after what happened with Tesco petrol a few months back i wouldn't touch the stuff.
My girlfriend used to fill upat Tescos but after that i've said not to use it again.
I never have liked the idea of cheap supermarket fuel.

JT3173

Advanced Member
Yes, I heard about that major co#k up with the fuel, did they find out what caused it in the end? There was rumour of too much silicone being added, correct me if I am wrong :?:
I filled with Supermarket 95 in my DC2 as I was about to run out and the nearest place was miles, I may as well have been trying to walk with two broken legs it was that slow, not to mention the jerking of the car and the MPG, do better miles on NOS.
DC5's are nice cars so they deserve to be run on the best I think.
Wanna try BP 102, just dont like the price!
I am suprised that the garages near the Nurburgring have not got 102 though, I would have thought that it would be a very good place to sell it given the amount of money laden people that use it, I myself one of them, just no the money laden! :(

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Interesting post,
I can say i exclusivly use BP ultimate as i find it the most consistent, If i use boggo 97 or tesco 99 there is a marked reduction in performance.
That's very interesting as I've always heard the oposite for Ultimate and steer clear. Might need to give it a try.

mardon

I used to use 95ron in my car (106 GTi) and was usually getting about 320miles to a tank. I now use V-Power and get around 340miles and it feels a lot more responsive. The other benefit is double points on my shell card :D

Little Legs

BadBadtz said:
C&S Evo7 said:
Interesting post,
That's very interesting as I've always heard the oposite for Ultimate and steer clear. Might need to give it a try.

BP Ultimate and V-power are these companies 'flagship' petrols and are distilled at their ron rating, unlike other high ron rated petrol which is mixed low grade with addatives.

They will outperform other lower grades in power produced through higher calorific value, this also means you need to use less when cruising so gives better mpg.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Been doing some logging between V Power and BP Ultimate, and I'm averaging between 3-5 mpg more with V Power. Not hugely scientific though. I'm just counting the miles, then when I top up I'll note how much petrol goes in and subtract it from 50 and do it that way. I waited 2 tanks between the two before I started logging V Power.

mikegsi

Staff member
my local shell is having a v-power day next thursday (typically when im on holiday), they're basically selling v-power for the same as regular unleaded (6p per litre less!!)

thankfully theyre also doing the same 4 weeks later when i plan to make about 10 trips with lots of big jerry cans! :wink:

Its worth asking next time youre filling up at a shell garage. My local garage (just off the A1 at Durham) is doing the same on the 20th of this month. Hopefully they might make this a regular thing. Would be nice if the did it one day every week :lol:

impne

Advanced Member
Been 3 of these at the shell station in Yarm.

I was in my scoob and a chap on the forecourt waved me in and told me about it, he heard me coming from half mile away :roll:

He said he knew it was a scoob because of the burble