Shell V-Power

Little Legs

Several of the members of the ATR brigade have noticed a performance drop recently and we are baffled. We think we've isolated it down to v-power users, any of you guys noticed any recent performance drop on v-power?

dazza

Advanced Member
I didn't notice any negative effect after swapping from Optimax to V-Power. In fact i'm sure it felt a little stronger but that could just be the placebo effect :lol:
Never used any other super unleaded so i have never compared.
Mainly because Banzai Mag. did a feature and Optimax came out on top.
I don't think any comparisons withe V-P have been done yet.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Hey Little Legs its Nick...from the Ikea meet :wink:

Danielchin on ATR forum likes V-Power

I've been using it now since it came out and must say I'm not sure if its all that. I might try going back to Tesco's 99 stuff.

mikegsi

Staff member
surely it cant be any worse than optimax (meant in a good way!!), i always used opti and was happy to move onto v-power as its replacement

Little Legs

Hey Nick, how you doing 8)

It's only a recent problem. All was well when v-power was introduced but the feeling is there may be a dodgey batch within the last month?

Archie

Advanced Member
Next tank fill up with your local supermarket 97 ron rubbish

Then go back to shell and see if there is any difference :D

I always use vpower as its the best around :D

air23box

Is that V power 98 ron or the V-Power Racing 100 ron one? you can't really tell the difference unless you get ur ECU turned to the right fuel....

Yambo

Advanced Member
Apparently the best fules in order (for power not cleaning abilities) are:

Tesco 99
BP Ultimate
Optimax/V Power
Boggo 97

dazza

Advanced Member
Yambo said:
Apparently the best fules in order (for power not cleaning abilities) are:

Tesco 99
BP Ultimate
Optimax/V Power
Boggo 97
Where did you get that info from?
It's just the last fuel comparison i read Optimax came out top.
:? :xconfused:

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I would think that being higher RON, V Power would out-gun Ultimate on paper and that is what I read in the Evo fuel test. However, my local Shell station is being refurbed (and I think they mean the tanks, not a new shop front!) so I had to use Ultimate the other day and the car was just as responsive and pulled just as hard.

I'm sure I read somewhere about how Tesco get the petrol up to 99RON and it's not quite the same as "true" 99 - there are lots of other measurements of petrol (most ending in "ON"!) and it's a bit of a marketing ploy that means actually the Tesco stuff doesn't deliver the same punch.

glenn3

About a year ago I was considering buying a VX220 turbo and used the forum for a while.

The guy that runs that web site, thorney motorsport ran a test of his own on a VX turbo with all variations.

Tesco came out on top producing the most HP.

As far as I can remember I think he had graphs from all the different fuels.

www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk

Little Legs

That's surprising and I think shows an error in the tests.

Tesco 99 is made up from whatever is left over at the petrol plant. One week you might be getting some v-power the next week some woefull low grade crap with addatives to boost the octaine rating. It's not the same stuff from delivery to delivery and has addatives rather than distilled at 99 Ron.

I've always thought it false economy as it has a lower calorific value than a higher priced v-power so you need more to acheive the same momentum meaning you spend the same amount of money.

Also Tesco stuff is 5% bio-ethonal (sugar) which increases it's Ron but reduces it's burn/power (calorific value).

Here's a snipet about the lovely bio-ethonal:
Car manufacturers are cautious about bioethanol. The warranties of today's standard cars state that no more than 5% bioethanol should be used. Bioethanol is more acidic than petrol, so can cause damage to aluminium components and rubber seals. Despite the warranty restriction, most experts agree modern cars could withstand a 10% mix of bioethanol without causing damage to engines.

The best test I read was in a March 2006 Banzi.

Tesco 99Ron
Optimax 98Ron
BP Ultimate 97Ron
Supermarket 95Ron

To cut a long story short they used a bench mounted Cosworth YB engine and took loads of precautions to ensure the only difference was the petrol.

Results:

Optimax 537bhp 434lb ft
Ultimate 530bhp 428lb ft
Tesco 99 521bhp 421lb ft
95 Ron 516bhp 417lb ft

a massive difference just by changing fuels and Optimax is the clear winner. 8)

V-Power is a 99 Ron version of Optimax (it's the same fuel but renamed to come into line with Europe)

Suped

Advanced Member
I actually don't think that test carried out is fair to say that the list is the correct one.... I reackon, they should test this on a K20 and have the results printed!! :lol:

Little Legs

Suped said:
I actually don't think that test carried out is fair to say that the list is the correct one.... I reackon, they should test this on a K20 and have the results printed!! :lol:
that little engine, how about a proper one - H22A7 :lol:

Suped

Advanced Member
well, any Honda NA will do so long as its tested properly on a NA engine so we all can realise the actually performance again (if any) it will serve.

Little Legs

Suped said:
well, any Honda NA will do so long as its tested properly on a NA engine so we all can realise the actually performance again (if any) it will serve.
it gives the advantage of higher calorific value (bang per amount) and the huge advantage of being distilled at 99 Ron and not using ocatine boosters such as bio-ethonal which is acidic and nasty shite

JT3173

Advanced Member
In Germany you cannot get Shell Optimax, they sell Shell V-Power 100 RON.
On a KPRO that is tuned for 98 RON what sort of improvment can I expect to see if I tuned it for the better fuel?
Is it worth it?
I found that my last car ran alot better on the 100 RON fuel than on 98 RON, I also saw a big increase in MPG!