Short Shifter running in

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Guys,

More of a query than a problem (I hope).
After having a short shifter installed last year, changing gear has been stiffer, definitely not in a bad way, just tighter which is probably due to the shorter throw.

Recently, shifting feels more loose and easier to throw (not that there was a problem beforehand). The best way I can describe it is it's more like OEM. Even the throw length feels more like OEM or maybe this could be my imagination?

Anyway, just wanted to know what your experiences were, what maybe could have happened, or if indeed it's probably just all in my head :)

FYI there are no problems getting into gear, popping out etc etc.

Cheers,

LeeH

Advanced Member
It will be your imagination.

If you drove something else for a while and then jumped in the DC5 it would feel real close again....from my personal experience.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Sorry, I should have said this change in shift feeling happened over the weekend.

I drove it on Saturday - felt like when it was first installed, then on Sunday which is where the difference suddenly became apparent :xconfused:

I hope my memory's not going kapoot in one day :oops:

ReKo

Advanced Member
Funnily enough I've had the exact same experience mate.
Only difference was that I noticed it straight after leaving it with an auto-electrician. I wasn't sure if he 'broke' anything or it was just me but ever since then it's felt exactly like the things you mentioned. I think it's just getting used to the feel of it that's all.

Only sure-fire way to tell is to have a quick shift around on someone's standard gearbox and compare.
Saying that, I heard that if you go too mental with B&M's then you can bend the shifter arms or something - would that cause the shift to feel lighter or affect the throw?

dave c

400hp K20
I've heard this too, apparently you need to be gentle when changing instead of slamming the gear changes. That is the way to bend the gear cables. Eddie (Suped) could clear it up as i think he had the same issue. Bad news was it was a £300 fix iirc.

Suped

Advanced Member
Sounds like you need to check the shift cable to see if its bent. As dave said, I had to change mine (got abit excited handing it to the skunk2 gearknob). The only way you can tell if the cable is bent is take it off the gear housing and pull the cable back and forth. If left not fixed, you can say hello to a gearbox rebuild as you'll eventually crunch the gears.

On shifting, (even with a short shifter) the feel should be soft, fluid, solid & direct. Any resistance and wobble maybe the start of the cable bending into the cable housing. Best take the centre console apart and have alook. Cables are not cheap to replace!

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Cheers guys,

Ed, I'm certain it's what you described now.
I Didn't really want to say but someone who shall remain nameless drove my car in between the change in shift feel. I thought initially it was because I change gears really softly (after Tom's advice when he done a superb job fitting it last year) and the nameless might have run it in.... Really cheesed off now.

Looks like a job for TGM to sort out; maybe i'll get your mod too Ed ;)

raz786

Advanced Member
What short-shifter are you running? I;m having one fitted at TGM next week, and I'm a little worried now :( Is it a worthwhile mod??

blueguy

Resident J's whore
B&M, definitely worth it and from what I understand you have to be absolutely giving it some to bend the shift cable - I wouldn't worry about it mate.

raz786

Advanced Member
:) Pheww, thats good to hear, it is the B&M one I'm having fitted, anyone else at TGM next Tuesday?

Suped

Advanced Member
Just part of the experience mate, help others. :)

Raz, get Tom to trim the front of the housing down, it'll take 2 mins MAX to do with his belt sander, gives better clearance between cable and housing.

Have fun with it, try not to get excited and bang the gears in! lol

raz786

Advanced Member
Cheers for the advice Ed, I will ask him tomorrow!

Hopefully won't be banging the gears in too hard, just nice and quick ;)

brucey87

Advanced Member
i fitted my b&m short shifter about a month ago and i was thinking 'has it got a longer throw now? im sure it was shorter' but just convinced myself it was me just getting used to it and it feeling normal. but after reading this im abit worried especialy the 'hello gearbox rebuild' part

raz786

Advanced Member
Ed I'm liking the feel of the B&M short shifter! Gears do slot in nicely, i wasn't expecting it to be so precise as I thought the standard shift was amazing, but i get the feeling I'm gonna like this mod! I asked Tom to trim the casing as you suggested, need to phone him tomorrow to confirm that I'll be back there next week. Stupid Engine Mount is broken, so will need to be replaced and then the Geo will be set up again. Top service as usual from Tom though, he checks over everything that you ask! =D> =D>

ReKo

Advanced Member
Well I've just been driving a MK5 Golf GTI for the past few days and then hopped back into my DC5...

...what a difference! The B&M definitely plays a mental trick on you over time, it just takes some time away from it in order to appreciate its goodness :D

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
3 quick questions:

• how much are these b&m shortshifters and is this the brand you recommend?

• do TGM supply them?

• is the swapover a long job?

I ask because if TGM do them and they're reasonable money and quick to fit i'll get him to pop one in for me as i'm there soon :)

raz786

Advanced Member
Hey mate, yes it is B&M, it's the only that TGM stock, the kit itself is around £170 and about an hour labour, so circa £230 fitted, it does have a very nice feel to it!! :D