silly oil checking question... *URGENT PLS!*

cfoster

Advanced Member
Just went to check my oil on my DC5 and pulled the dipstick out and noticed it wasn't even registering on the stick :S:S:S..... I have put about 1/2 litre of fully synth Mobil 1 oil in and nothing is still registering??? Is this normal!?!?!? I presume the oil level has to be between the 2 dots?? No oil indicator light has appeared on the dash, and the car has been driving fine (ie - VTEC kicks in...)...

The only thing i did notice was that when the dipstick is fully inserted, if you clasp the rubber handle thing at the top of the dipstick and wiggle it, you can hear the bottom of the stick rattling... Now this maybe normal on these, but have never seen this on any of my other cars...

Help needed ASAP please!!

Cheers
Chris

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
The DC5 takes 5.2L of oil, the dip stick only shows the top 1L of what is in the car.

It is a must that you have at least the Min on the dip stick. The Vtec system requires a lot of oil to run when in high Cam. Too little oil does serious and costly damage.

Vtec engines do use oil, Honda quote on the K20 series of engines, up to 1L per 1000 miles.

You have been warned.

Mike

reeves999999

Funny that. I've had 5 VTEC engined cars now and none have so much as used a drop. I do check often though. There are some horror stories out there. :cry:

cfoster

Advanced Member
excellent cheers for that reply.

Ive since put one litre in (once the engine was stone cold), and its started to appear on the dipstick.

Thank god i only checked it on the offchance whilst working out how to fit my Injen filter!!

Gonna be keeping my eye now on it!!

Cheers
Chris :)

sims_delight

Be grateful you don't own an RX8 - an oil check every 2 fill ups :roll: :lol: :wink: ...I can see a lot of declined warranty claims :wink:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
sims_delight said:
Be grateful you don't own an RX8 - an oil check every 2 fill ups :roll: :lol: :wink: ...I can see a lot of declined warranty claims :wink:
In the Honda owners manual, ie for the EP3 CTR (K20A2 engine), it does state oil should be checked at every fill up of fuel :idea: :idea:

Just be warned the OEM oil presure switch only comes on when less than 1L of oil in the sump. 1L is however, not enough to run in High Cam :!:

Len-boy

My EP3 uses a sh!tload of oil - keep checking those dipsticks :wink:

Any one else think that the dipsticks in the DC5/EP3 are a load of shite?

T666YPR

Len-boy said:
Any one else think that the dipsticks in the DC5/EP3 are a load of sh*te?
Me!!

It's a rattly bl00ming thing and hard as hell to read when you're oil is clean :evil:

Caroline

Len-boy said:
Any one else think that the dipsticks in the DC5/EP3 are a load of sh*te?
I thought that too but then I saw the dipstick for checking the gearbox oil in our FTO and that is a b1t*h. its got all these kinks in it and you just dont know where min and max are???