Slight rev hunting. Already fitted new iacv..

Lynchdc5

Well everyone struggling to get to the bottom of the rev hunting .

Its a weird one the car only really does it when im coming to a stop and i take it out of gear it will bounce up to 2k rpm then dip back down to 1.5k rpm then eventually come down to idle .

Iv already fitted a brand new geniune iacv . So thats ruled out. And help appreciated

Lynchdc5

Was starting to think that . Iv recently fitted an rbc also . Is there anywhere thats a common place for a leak to happen?

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I fitted a new IACV because mine was constantly getting stuck. Since fitting the new IACV the car does exactly what you describe.

I am trying to chase a vac leak at the moment but I am not sure where it could be. I've got a new Throttle body gasket to fit and also going to try and use a tiny amount of sealant around the new IACV incase the new gasket isn't sealing correctly.

If that fails then I will be getting the map looked at as I have a kpro and suspect the map needs some fine tuning with the new IACV.

Lynchdc5

Think i may have sussed it .

It seems doing a vac leak test with carb spray . In and around my butterfly valve in the throttle body seems to be letting air through when closed .

Whats the best fix for this . Iv seen on other forums people using a product called dry moly ? Would this be any good ?

Im not getting a dip in revs anywhere else using the carb spray this seems to be the only place.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I'm not so sure. I would expect some air leak around the butterfly valve even when closed. This can be adjusted with the stop screw but all posts I've ever seen say to stay away from this screw.

Edit: I take back the air leaking past the throttle plate.

I suspect the idle issue to be tuning, I found this article on the Hondata forum:

There are two causes of a surging idle: mechanical and tuning.

The idle valve gets stuck fairly easily, particularly if the car has not been used for several weeks. Pull the idle valve off the throttle body (4 phillips screws on the bottom), remove the electrical part of the valve (2 screws) and clean the valve with solvent until it rotates freely.

As far as tuning goes:

1. Make sure your TPS is set so that it is between -1 and 0 at idle. It has a security screw so it is a pain to adjust. You can tap it carefully with a punch if you just need to tweak it a percent or two. (be careful - Honda doesn't sell the TPS seperate from the throttle body!)
2. Reduce the ignition advance on the 0 degree map in the first 5 columns up to (and including ) 1500 rpm (approx idle area). You may need to reduce to ignition to anywhere from 15 to 20 degrees.
3. Reduce idle speed slightly (850 - 950 rpm usually works).
4. Datalog and check that the cam angle is zero at idle. If not, check #1
5. Alter the idle valve duty cycle adjust slider value. Rev the engine to about 3000 rpm and release the throttle quickly. If the rpm drops below the idle speed and then recovers, then move the slider to the right. If the rpm drops to 500 above idle speed and then goes slowly down to idle speed, move the slider to the left. See below about how this is affected by the ECU idle learn.

Note that after uploading a calibration the ECU takes a little while to learn the correct duty cycle for the idle valve (even if the upload is a very small change it resets the ECU's memory). If the car is hot then this learning process happens in a couple of minutes, but if the car is cold the ECU won't learn until the car is hot - and in the meantime, the engine sometimes stalls with large injectors. The trick is to not increase the idle speed too much to prevent the engine stalling if the engine is cold, because it will fix itself once the ECU learns the idle.

If you get a slight misfire at idle once the car is warm, slowly enrichen the idle target A/F ratio.

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
To find a vacuum leak I always use brake cleaner. Spray it on the area where you think the leak could be.
If the engines changes in revs when you spray on the area, you have found the leak :xyes: . Then you only need to narrow it.

Lynchdc5

Raising this one from the dead. Still having this problem. Iv tryed looking for vacuum leaks and I cant find not one leak by using carb spray.

Really annoying me now at this stage. Starting to take the enjoyment out of driving the car.

Would a bad tps cause this?

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
Could it be the throttle body? The butterfly valve which doesn't seal correctly or maybe a bad gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold.

You can re calibrate the TPS 0% and 100% setting in K-manager. Maybe do a datalog to make sure the TPS is reading correctly during a trip. If you don't use a KPro you can set the TPS with a multimeter ;)

Lynchdc5

Still have the problem but it's no where near as bad as it used to be.

I fitted an acuity hall effect tps sensor and found a very small vacuum leak around The tb gasket .

Both these have helped massively. But I still do get the odd rev every now and then .