Smoke on VTEC

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
Lately i notice some white, grey, smoke coming out of the car when hitting vtec. I have 50,000 miles. The performance of the car has not change, still pull better than ever, oil consumption is less than half a liter every 5K miles. I add a bit every 1.5K.. The level of coolant always the same, and i just wonder what is going on...anyone has notice the same?

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Could be overfilling with oil? Don't go over the top mark on the dipstick, I have noticed a bit of smoke if you do (my DC2 used to need this when checking the oil cold, but the DC5 doesn't it seems).

Si

Parts Trader
lockwood77 said:
Could be overfilling with oil? Don't go over the top mark on the dipstick, I have noticed a bit of smoke if you do (my DC2 used to need this when checking the oil cold, but the DC5 doesn't it seems).
xthumbup

I agree, if your "always" topping up then it may just be extra oil being burnt.... also make sure the car is on a flat surface when checking :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
We always fill the race cars over the top mark by a couple of mm,

Could someone explain to me why slight overfilling with oil will cause smoke?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Chris, whoever told you that was pulling your plonker :wink: most oils we would use are synthetic.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Chris, whoever told you that was pulling your plonker :wink: most oils we would use are synthetic.
A fully synthetic oil such as Silkolene 5W40 won't show any signs of burning as it's too clean. It's not like the olden days of smoke obviously coming out of the back.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
C&S Evo7 said:
A fully synthetic oil such as Silkolene 5W40 won't show any signs of burning as it's too clean. It's not like the olden days of smoke obviously coming out of the back.
Odd, cos it definitely happened to me running Motul 300V! Haven't noticed it with ProS but then I realised what happened after the first time.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
"A fully synthetic oil such as Silkolene 5W40 won't show any signs of burning as it's too clean. It's not like the olden days of smoke obviously coming out of the back"

Sorry chris but once your oil has been around a couple of times it is dirty,
Any oil will give off smoke if heated doesn't matter if its synth or not.

If you were to light silk synth 5/40 do you think it would not give off any smoke??

It is NOT the oil type that causes smoke, it is more likely to be a little wear in the rings.

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:
Valve Stem oil seals??
smoke caused from the stem seals would normally be on deceleration holding it in gear i think, someone correct me here if wrong.

I would say that if the car has no CAT there seems to be all sorts of shit that can come out the back, but burning oil could be a possibility, as some K20's do like a drink...

dan the man

Advanced Member
vtecs burn oil..always have. from CRX to integra

when behind a vtec u can smell it and sometimes see it with a little puff of smoke into vtec..

if your car runs fine and the oil is full dont worry about it :D

azriDC5R

Advanced Member
its still ok if u have smoke coming out in vtec, but if it stlll smokes while idling, check your piston rings... may be worn out/ had over revved before

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
I am using 100 RON fuel from same gas station for the last 2 days...a couple of vtec blasts but no i did not see the smoke. I have never over revved my car.. The car eats very little oil in the 4,000 miles before an oil change. Thanking everyone for their input..

azriDC5R

Advanced Member
err does our car has a rev limiter??? say a rev cut around 9000rpm?

what if someone accidentally drop to 2nd instead of fourth...? will that blow up the engine???

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
It depends at what speed you change gear but it is very possible to blow your engine changing from a high to low gear. You can be lucky and damage the clutch but its not common.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
A friend of mine got 2nd instead of 4th from 5th gear in his EP3 and the rev needle went all the way round past 9 to about 15k RPM!!!

Had it checked out and all was good, but not reccomended!!