Solid Fabrications 3" Track Exhaust DC5

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi Chris I was going too but I am more pointing at the Solid Fabs system at present which I didn't think I would for a number of reasons, price, quality of the welds, size of the bore for flow and future proofing the car for if I was to go down a different tuning route ever. Also Alan is not far from me so if there were or are any issues ever it's easy to go and see him and also if the DC manifold ever comes off I could have a full system as Mark has with a SF's mani also.

I know Mark and this is part the reason I am pointing towards the SF system (not only the above comments to Chris) but also as I know you have the same induction as me (pretty much) by means of an open cone setup in the bumper and if you have no issues at mainly Brands then it means I should be safe if I go for the Super Silent system.

Does Alan supply and fit if I can go there? Fancy coming down there with me when I get it (will be as soon as back from Cuba and collect the car from TGM. The other option was to get it delivered to TGM but rather go there and meet him and discuss needs from the system for the car.
Mate why dont you get it sent to TGM... Tom will fit it for you as your car is already there.. if you book it into Alan you are defo looking at 2 mths wait, but he will already have some made and ready to go.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
If you get 3” solid fab exhaust you should 100% get the manifold to go with it, it sounded sick on my dc5 and just to add mine fitted perfectly first time when Alan fitted it

carl hammond

Advanced Member
On an NA car there isn‘t going to be a huge amount in it. For me the downsides such as motorway drone would sway me towards the Fuji.

Mine fitted like a glove, was light, made great power compared to the DC that was on it before, breezed track limits and didn‘t drone whatsoever on the motorway.
This is the only downside, so will be in Ryan's car on Friday to get a feel for it and the noise, I currently run the DC as you know and it's a bit too loud for me now with trackdays starting to be more frequent so I deff need to change it (which is a shame as the DC is a lovely sounding system).

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mate why dont you get it sent to TGM... Tom will fit it for you as your car is already there.. if you book it into Alan you are defo looking at 2 mths wait, but he will already have some made and ready to go.
I will be speaking to Tom about all this on Friday when I drop the car off but wont have a long as I hoped as need to get to the train station and a train to London and then back home from there this time (expensive annoying day) but will be worth it when the cars been checked over and anything needed done.

If you get 3” solid fab exhaust you should 100% get the manifold to go with it, it sounded sick on my dc5 and just to add mine fitted perfectly first time when Alan fitted it
I would love too mate but it depends on what the car needs. If the suspicions are correct and only a clutch then I can afford a complete swap from DC to Solid Fabs mani back (as then I know everything is spot on, but I believe Mark (who can confirm) was running a solid fabs catback with the DC Sport Mani and it was fine so maybe only change that if and when I need too.

But if it's more than a clutch and something else (maybe syncro or similar) then I will need to assess the price and whats best pound for pound.

Also want to try avoiding a remap at present and have been told that just replacing the catback system I have with an RM01A or SF super silent system wont require a remap.

Anyone able to also confirm this?

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Yes, the dc sport worked fine with the SF back box.. i never got it remapped again until I changed the mani to SF.. remember to ensure you ask alan to make you a bung just in case you need it. Its not a "Super slient exhaust".. its a track friendly exhaust, but just remember the CAI might tip you over..

Midnight

Advanced Member
I‘d say it feels heavier than OEM but we are talking thick stainless steel.

On paper it probably sits around 16kg but in the real world it felt at least twice as heavy as the Regu.

Also the problems we had was because we had aftermarket manifold fitted (apparently) so I would suggest you stating this to SF upon ordering.

Regu the best exhaust I‘ve seen and heard on the DC5 without doubt! (Power aside that is. But at end of day swapping exhaust is 8/10 times to achieve more power and the SF does do that!)

Mattz

Advanced Member
I ordered a solid fab last week and I'm hoping it's fitted before Jap fest.

Do you guys think I should bin my old system with a knackered baffle or try and sell it on here? (Tanabe concept G exhaust).

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yes, the dc sport worked fine with the SF back box.. i never got it remapped again until I changed the mani to SF.. remember to ensure you ask alan to make you a bung just in case you need it. Its not a "Super slient exhaust".. its a track friendly exhaust, but just remember the CAI might tip you over..
Thanks Mark, I will be calling Alan to discuss as I wont be in the UK so if I go with this I need to be 100% certain there are no confusions or issues for TGM to have to try and find time to sort in my absence (like Midnight had)...

I‘d say it feels heavier than OEM but we are talking thick stainless steel.

On paper it probably sits around 16kg but in the real world it felt at least twice as heavy as the Regu.

Also the problems we had was because we had aftermarket manifold fitted (apparently) so I would suggest you stating this to SF upon ordering.

Regu the best exhaust I‘ve seen and heard on the DC5 without doubt! (Power aside that is. But at end of day swapping exhaust is 8/10 times to achieve more power and the SF does do that!)
Thanks mate, have to admit the Kaki sounds the best by far, but so far in reality the best all round system for gains, weight, noise etc is the RM01A as it's bigger bore for flow than REGU06&R but smaller than SF, it's lighter than both by far and known to be one of if not the best fitting with no issues and no drone at any rev range. It's also more silent than all I have seen or heard to date when needed for sound tests. So still trying to decide.

Have i sold you on one then Carl?
I love the sound of it, Mark's I only heard on track with a crashhelmet on so yours was great to hear and I love the noise it makes, will call Alan and discuss a few things before making a final decision :)

I ordered a solid fab last week and I'm hoping it's fitted before Jap fest.

Do you guys think I should bin my old system with a knackered baffle or try and sell it on here? (Tanabe concept G exhaust).
Could try and see if it could be re-packed and sell it, or sell as is for less mate, you running oem header?

Mattz

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Could try and see if it could be re-packed and sell it, or sell as is for less mate, you running oem header?
Might just keep it and put it up for £100, someone can just get the baffle removed/replaced then.

Sticking with the OEM header for now as I don't want to run a full system without a map. I'll hopefully be getting an inlet/ecu/manifold later on in the year :)

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Mattz said:
Might just keep it and put it up for £100, someone can just get the baffle removed/replaced then.

Sticking with the OEM header for now as I don't want to run a full system without a map. I'll hopefully be getting an inlet/ecu/manifold later on in the year :)
Where you based mate?

Midnight

Advanced Member
RM01A is no where near as light as the Regu Carl. You have that wrong.

The RM01A fits nice in the middle of both the Regu and SF. Neither best at anything but a solid all around exhaust. Pun intended.

Sound and fit the Regu is hard to beat. For every last bit of performance gained than the SF is best.

While the SF is heavy the gain over other exhausts is not to be ignored. For the sake of removing the spare wheel the SF for power I've not seen anything close. Does drone a fair bit though.

The cars I've been in with the RM01A have no distinct note. Just sound like any other exhaust on any other car. Hate of love them both the Regu and SF are distinctive.

Not hating on RM01A they are a safe bet for sure.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I think you should go full 3" Solid Fabrications Carl. The Regu sounds sweet pottering around but once you're high up in the revs it's not a great sounding exhaust in all honesty. If I had the money I'd get rid and get a 3" custom system but it's up to you bud I guess. It's also very restrictive as demonstrated by my recent remap.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
RM01A is no where near as light as the Regu Carl. You have that wrong.

The RM01A fits nice in the middle of both the Regu and SF. Neither best at anything but a solid all around exhaust. Pun intended.

Sound and fit the Regu is hard to beat. For every last bit of performance gained than the SF is best.

While the SF is heavy the gain over other exhausts is not to be ignored. For the sake of removing the spare wheel the SF for power I've not seen anything close. Does drone a fair bit though.

The cars I've been in with the RM01A have no distinct note. Just sound like any other exhaust on any other car. Hate of love them both the Regu and SF are distinctive.

Not hating on RM01A they are a safe bet for sure.
Thanks for the info mate, the weights came form a supplier in Japan, he provided me all the weights and sound checks (db levels at set rev ranges) as my main goal is to get the highest quality exhaust I can which I can just bolt on in place of the current system with no need for a remap and which will reduce my db levels as I plan on using the car a lot more on track and with the tracks getting stricter by the year I just want to future proof the car.

The kaki is by far the best sounding but I want a system that's the best allround, I am not chasing numbers as don't believe in that with an NA Honda, with the Skylines etc I was happy too as it was easy to tune them and make gains but with the DC5 I just want it to breathe well, be safe and within the limits on track but to be quiet on the roads and smooth throughout the rev range, which is why the RM01A is winning so far I think.

I think you should go full 3" Solid Fabrications Carl. The Regu sounds sweet pottering around but once you're high up in the revs it's not a great sounding exhaust in all honesty. If I had the money I'd get rid and get a 3" custom system but it's up to you bud I guess. It's also very restrictive as demonstrated by my recent remap.
I love the Kaki for noise, but as you say it's restrictive... The RM01A is a rirect fit and will not end up with me requiring a remap whereas a SF may. However I cant see how the SF gives such gains as if the mani I have is a DC and say 2.5" how can from there back make a massive difference as the mani will be restricting me to 2.5" of flow wont it?

I think the only way of getting full gains from a SF is by means of a complete manifold back system, is this right or wrong guys

DC5Curn

Advanced Member
Ive had both the SF 3" system and the RM01a.

The SF 3" system made great power but I didnt like the sound. It wasnt overly loud it just droned.

The RM01a was great. Its slightly lighter than standard and only a bit louder. It sounds tuned not tarty. I never got it dynoed but for sound i wouldnt look past it.

Midnight

Advanced Member
A) Wouldn't fit an exhaust without a map. At EFI I seen exactly how bad AFR can be out by just swapping the catback exhaust. I can tell you now the statement 'If you'd of drove that hard on track the engine wouldn't be in one piece now' was one of the shocks from trying 3 exhausts.

B) No matter what these suppliers are saying the RM01A isn't as light as the Regu. Probably one of the reasons the RM01A tend to last longer.

C) If you want a fit and forget exhaust. Simply get the RM01A and be done with it. No way would i order another SF 'off the shelf' exhaust and have it posted. I'd have it made on the car for a 100% fit. But it does drone and adds weight.

D) Clearly you're not chasing every last bhp so the 3" SF is redundant anyway. Why add weight and add the possibility of *damaging the engine? Sounds crazy! *Without map.

You're trying to find a product that's DOES NOT exsist. You can't have the very best performing exhaust while not adding drone/weight/etc. Equally you can't have such an amazing sounding exhaust like the Kaki without taking a hit on performance. (If that performance if noticeable is arguable).

The RM01A does everything well. But nothing exceptional. Doesn't fall apart, doesn't drone, doesn't add much if any weight over OEM and will free exhaust gases.

Hope this helps 👍

p1tse

Advanced Member
I‘m glad I‘m not the only one about the rm01a, midnight quote is what I thought, “The cars I've been in with the RM01A have no distinct note.”

Fits well, throttle response was good and power was clean throughout Rev ranges; but I found it a bit characterless on standard mani. I thought it would be too loud as had (personal opinion) drone at certain cruising speed

@ crazyleg. Interesting you think the kaki isn‘t as nice up the Rev range, as that‘s where it excels. Off VTEC it‘s suppose to be near oem in decibels.
Does your b pipe have the rear silencer still in?

Just back from being out and gave the car a little blast and the mugen intake and twinloop with decat mani is decent and wouldn‘t want anything louder for sure

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I'm far to focussed on driving the car than what the exhaust sounds like

Let's break it down:

SF for the most gains, however will drone and may scrape as it's 3 inch

Kaki for looks, sound however restrictive

RM01A for simplicity, best of both words, doesn't drone, however doesn't have the best note like the Kaki but won't be restrictive either

Weigh up your pros and cons :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk